Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The 2019 Upcoming and Rumored Fights Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Teixeira tested positive for Covid. The fight with Santos is now on the 10/3 card.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fights to catch this weekend:

MMA
UFC (9/5, Las Vegas, NV, ESPN+):
Alistair Overeem vs. Augusto Sakai (Heavyweight)

Boxing
Vacant WBA World Welterweight Title (9/6, Los Angeles, CA, FOX):
Yordenis Ugas vs. Abel Ramos

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fights to catch this weekend (quiet slate):

MMA
Bellator (9/11, Uncasville, CT, Paramount/DAZN):
Phil Davis vs. Lyoto Machida (Light Heavyweight)

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Chimaev got his step up fight against LEON EDWARDS

Welp, now we find out if this guy is for real. I wonder if they already had this lined up when he allegedly turned down the Magny fight. If so, it's funny to go back and read comments from people saying he was dodging Magny when he was really setting up to fight a killer like Edwards.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just meant the guy can be dangerous, decision wins notwithstanding.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
But he's not. His only moment where he actually looked dangerous is when Seth Baczysnki ran into a punch. He's also benefited from a horrible ranking system, if you look at his wins as a whole in terms of relevance for where guys stand today his best win is Vincente Luque and that was in 2017.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ok you're right, Chimaev is gonna steamroll him

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not saying that! Lol. This is obviously a huge step up for Chimaev but Edwards clearly overplayed his hand with the UFC and when they didn't blink and removed him from the rankings he lost all bargaining power and was forced to take this fight. He went from shit-talking a fight against Wonderboy because he was ranked two slots below him to this unproven but obviously very violent prospect.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lots of fights scheduled in the past few days so the next few posts will be catch up:

March 26: Felipe Froes vs. Magomed Khasbulaev at ACA 120 in St. Petersburg. Two quality, non-UFC featherweights squaring off.

Marcin Tybura vs. Blagoy Ivanov tentatively added to UFC 260 card.

Dominick Reyes vs. Jiri Prochazka has been rescheduled to the May 1 Fight Night, presumably as the headliner.

Bellator scheduled several cards for their new TV contract with Showtime. Most notable are the two successive cards highlighting their Light Heavyweight tournament. Lyoto Machida and Ryan Bader rematch on April 9 while Vadim Nemkov defends his title against Phil Davis on the 16th. Yoel Romero and Anthony Johnson are also facing off on the latter card. Pitbull Freire is defending his featherweight belt in a rematch with Emmanuel Sanchez on Bellator's first Showtime event.

Last edited:

Staff member
Reaction score

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not a fan of that whatsoever.
I wonder if they approached Poirer and gave him the option of a title match with Oliveira or the rubber money match with Conor. Poirier probably figures the latter option is the better one financially. I also assume that he thinks he can beat Conor again and get his title shot afterwards.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

Seems like a bad idea to have Edmen face a guy even higher ranked than the last one that wiped him out. But Jack is not a TKO artist and it's a good matchup for Edmen so I think he'll actually take this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.