Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The All Purpose Horror Game Thread

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hey, why not, right?

I'm downloading Amnesia: Dark Descent on Steam right now. 50% off, so it's only $9 USD.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Teaser Trailer

Made by the guys who made Penumbra, with a very Lovecraftian feel to it.

I've also found a mint copy of Eternal Darkness for Gamecube on ebay. Got it for $25 and can't wait to play it!

Eternal Darkness Sanitys Requiem Debut Trailer

Ever since I found out that Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth was absolute shite I've been trying to find more games based on or inspired by Lovecraft horror. These two came highly recommended by a couple friends, so needless to say I'm really psyched.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Eternal Darkness is amazing, even better if you know little about it (although by this point I'm assuming that's not possible)

Everything I've seen of Amnesia just makes me yawn in boredom. I know everyone says good stuff about it, but...I just don't see it.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I played through Eternal Darkness in one sitting which I never do (and it's not that short a game). I loved that game.

My favorite part:

Playing as one of the guys and getting to the boss only to be squashed in the cut scene and moving on to the next character. That was a legit WTF moment

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Has anyone played Dead Nation on ps3? As much as I thought we didn't need ANOTHER top-down directional shooter zombie game, this one is probably executed the best and is actually really fun! I love the ida of ranking countries, too, based on the number of zombies "cleared out."

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The first Condemned will always be one of my favorites of the survival horror genre. It has its flaws of course, after all it was a launch title for the 360, but for less than $20 for a copy, you really can't go wrong.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So I got fucked for Amnesia on BOTH of my computers. The game keeps crashing on my Macbook and my PC laptop's videocard isn't powerful enough to run it. Sucks because I know it SHOULD run on my Mac.. which runs WoW very smoothly. Just can't figure out why. I'm planning on getting a new machine in the Spring anyway.. but anyone know if Steam purchases have a shelf life on them or can I come back in 6 months and reinstall?

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Black Grinchus said:
The first Condemned will always be one of my favorites of the survival horror genre. It has its flaws of course, after all it was a launch title for the 360, but for less than $20 for a copy, you really can't go wrong.

I don't know if I'd really call it survival horror, but yeah, Condemned 1 was awesome. Condemned 2, on the other hand, started out good and then turned into a giant piece of shit. Everything after the
BEAR~!~!~!
moment was straight downhill. Probably due to the fact that you turned into a fucking army halfway through the game and always had a crapload of guns and bullets at your disposal, and that's just not what Condemned is supposed to be about.

My favorite horror series is Fatal Frame, especially the first 2.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I picked up the Grudge game for Wii sometime last year for $20.. it literally had 15 minutes of replay value after the first "stage". Worst idea for a "game" ever.

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
fazzle said:
Black Grinchus said:

I don't know if I'd really call it survival horror, but yeah, Condemned 1 was awesome. Condemned 2, on the other hand, started out good and then turned into a giant piece of shit. Everything after the
BEAR~!~!~!
moment was straight downhill. Probably due to the fact that you turned into a fucking army halfway through the game and always had a crapload of guns and bullets at your disposal, and that's just not what Condemned is supposed to be about.

The spooky atmosphere of the first one was captured so perfectly...I'll go ahead and admit I wasn't ever playing that damn game in the dark!

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
I don't have Dead Nation but I think I will get it eventually. It looks really great.

I have Resident Evil 5 on PS3.....always looking for fellow PS3 folks to co-op with.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Black Grinchus said:
fazzle said:
Black Grinchus said:

BEAR~!~!~!

The spooky atmosphere of the first one was captured so perfectly...I'll go ahead and admit I wasn't ever playing that damn game in the dark!

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, Condemned was creepy as hell, especially those damn mannequins, but I don't know so much about the whole "survival" aspect of it.

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just wanted to say that the song "Gone Guru" from Dead Rising (the song that plays when you run in to the convicts out in the courtyard) kicks ass!

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1150836p1.html

tba-the-walking-dead-the-game-20110217030411807-000.jpg

The Walking Dead. For years, the title was known -- and adored -- by comic fans, and then this past October the franchise went mainstream with the AMC television show. Now, it's a phenomenon that nearly everyone knows about.

A video game was inevitable, and Telltale Games is happy to answer the call. Today, the developers behind adventure games such as Back to the Future and Sam & Max announced that it has entered into a "multi-year, multi-platform, multi-title" Walking Dead partnership with Robert Kirkman, creator of the franchise. Specific platforms for the project weren't announced, but the agreement covers PC, Mac, consoles, handhelds, mobile and social gaming media. Telltale is looking at a fourth quarter 2011 release.

We don't know about you, but those aren't enough hard details for us. That said, we grabbed Robert Kirkman and threw our burning questions at him about the game, TV show and Invincible. What did he have to say? Let's find out...

IGN: A Walking Dead game?! Does this prove conclusively that there is a God, Mr. Kirkman?

Robert Kirkman: I think the jury is still out on that one, but the trail is definitely warm.

IGN: What kind of game is this? Third-person action? Adventure? Where does this game take place in terms of the Walking Dead timeline? Will we see characters that haven't been explored on TV and/or comics? Who do we play as? Are we Rick, someone in his group or just a survivor in the Walking Dead World? Oh, snap, are we zombies?! Tell us something?!

Robert Kirkman: The game is at an early stage, and we're in the process of mapping this all out now.

IGN: What Walking Dead universe does the game fall into? Is it happening in the comic world? The TV show? A mix of both?

Robert Kirkman: Definitely within the comic book world, just like the novel series.

IGN: Telltale is known for episodic adventures; is that what's happening here?

Robert Kirkman: Yes, it's definitely episodic.

IGN: If I can bend your ear and beard about the TV show, the last two episodes of Season 1 veered drastically away from the comic book. Will Season 2 continue down this path and into original TV stories or will it be circling back around to pick up storylines from the comic?

Robert Kirkman: For the most part, it will be circling back around but, like the entirety of the first season, there will always be divergences from the comic story to keep people on their toes.

IGN: Besides Frank Darabont, it's a new group of writers for Season 2. Have you talked to Glen Mazzara about the direction they're looking to go with the series? If so, what is it?

Robert Kirkman: I've been working closely with Glen for a week now, and you're going to have to wait for any details, because I can't reveal anything right now.

IGN: Are there any characters you're hoping to see introduced soon on the show?

Robert Kirkman: Yes -- Michonne, Tyrese, Hershel... whether or not we'll get to all of them in [season 2]is up in the air. I'm looking forward to most every comic book character making it into the show, but I'm excited to see who we actually do get to.

IGN: You wrote an episode in season one, are you going to pen one in season two?

Robert Kirkman: Currently, yes.

IGN: A whole bunch of your books just popped up on Comixology -- a digital comic store -- what's your take on digital comics? Why are so many publishers afraid to embrace it and when will they?

Robert Kirkman: I think that it's pretty clear at this point that everything is moving towards digital, it's just a question of how soon everything will be there. I don't really understand why publishers are worried because it's been proven that a digital audience doesn't eat into their print audience, and I, for one, enjoy selling my comic to an entirely new audience.

IGN: Does this Walking Dead game get us any closer to an Invincible game -- or is that the true test of whether or not there's a higher power?

Robert Kirkman: Yeah, I guess that is the true test -- no comment on whether an Invincible game is close to being made or not.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
If it is like the Back to the Future game that Telltale made, then it is a point and click adventure game.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm cool with that. It'd work pretty well with Kirkman's style, too. Slow and methodical. Walking Dead was definitely not made for a L4D style shooter.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yakuza Of The End - TGS 2010 Trailer - PS3

I can't remember if this was posted before, or not.. but Yakuza is getting a zombie spin-off: Yakuza - Of the End. I downloaded the demo off of the JPN PSNStore last night and it's pretty damn fun! I really hope we get a localization of this one as it'd be great to not to have to import it, but I will if I have to. The gameplay is fun enough to be worth it.. I'd just love to be able to understand the dialogue.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Maybe the Walking Dead game will be like what that City of the Dead game was supposed to be (a sandbox-style MMORPG with some FPS/action elements)? I remember following the City of the Dead progress and they got halfway through it before it had to be shut down. They created a ton of different zombies, enough so that one room would be filled with different ones, and even featured one based off of Dr. Tongue from Day of the Dead.

FAKE EDIT: It's not City of the Dead that I'm thinking of, which is the cancelled Romero FPS, but it was announced around the same time period, methinks. It, too, was cancelled during production, but I want to say that the one I'm actually thinking of was pretty far along (as in within six months of the release date) before it got canned.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Create another user on your ps3, and when setting up the profile select Japan for your country. The text will change to Japanese though so you may want to google a guide with screenshots.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
New Walking Dead Screens...

the-walking-dead-the-game-20120214054650780.jpg

the-walking-dead-the-game-20120214054659442.jpg

the-walking-dead-the-game-20120214054702277.jpg

Telling the story of a new group of survivors as they struggle to flee the horror of Atlanta and the surrounding communities consumed by the undead, The Walking Dead offers players the chance to experience the very first days of the apocalypse, meeting people and participating in events that intersect with the story seen in the comic books.

Release is Spring 2012 for all major platforms.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Walking Dead game drops tomorrow..

JoyStiq said:
Hoard up your supplies and board up your windows, walkers are coming. More specifically, the first episode of Telltale's The Walking Dead, titled "A New Day," will be shuffling its way over to PC, Mac and PlayStation Network (for PS3) tomorrow.

PC and Mac users can still pre-order the entire season for $22.49 - 10% off the usual price. As a bonus of sorts, PC and Mac users can bundle The Walking Dead with Telltale's "Almost Everything Pack" - which includes nearly every game in the Telltale catalog and normally sells for $90 - for a total of $42.99. PSN users, meanwhile, can grab the first episode for $4.99, or pre-purchase the entire season for $19.99, shaving $5 off the normal price and receiving a premium PS3 theme to boot.

Just remember, if you must point and click zombies, be sure you click them in the head.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've been hearing good things about the Walking Dead game, but I'm wary just because Telltale is one of the fucking laziest developers out there, and it amazes me how they never get called out for it because some people are just SO desperate for an adventure game.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Call of Cthulhu is out today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzCtaFEcXa4

Also, incoming next year, the Sinking city:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXhw7OcPw8Y