Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Beatles thread

pbone

Something tells me that you want to go home.
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
The boy band tag, IMHO at least, entails that they were manufactured from cradle to grave. The Beatles really weren't. I mean there's no question that they're somewhat overrated but no band could get the amount of hype and praise that The Beatles have been given. And that hype will forever irk the beejesus out of Beatles hating weirdos.

woosh

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So BUTT is being tongue in cheek. I have been lucky enough to avoid a pbone zinger until now. Gah! Gah! I won't rest easy tonight. No, sir.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The argument seems to only work if we accept that music hasn't changed at all from 1963 to 2009.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Anyone who bought this boxed set has a responsibility to the board to upload everything, preferably at 320 kb/s. I'd do the same for you, but I'm broke.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If you can set your preferences to rip it in mono, even at 320 you're not looking at very big files at all. Maybe about 1.5 MB per minute? Is there any Frank Zappa that you would like, Spiffy? I mean I don't want to look like I'm begging but

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This is still a private board...why haven't we all uploaded our entire music collections for a download folder yet?

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't know. I've uploaded a bunch of shit for you guys. I know I upped Key Lime Pie, Sweet and Lowdown, and a Townes Van Zandt twofer.

Kinetic

Kinetic
Reaction score
Chalk it up to emotional instability, but I got pretty emotional when hearing "In My Life" the other day at work. Such a pretty song. If there were ever a band that could convince me to spend a bunch of money on stuff that I've already heard a few hundred times, they'd be it.

DMann1979

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So, does anyone actually have an opinion on the new remasters?

Cause Abbey Road now how a fucking punch to it. The best thing I can say about these new discs is that they have breathing room now. Before the music sounded flat, as if it were right on top of each other. Now I can hear Paul's bass independant of John and George's guitars. Put in A Hard Day's Night to see what I mean.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I was finally able to pick up Revolver Thursday and noticed the difference IMMEDIATELY. No exaggeration. And since I'm not sonically tuned enough to really assess sound, I'm assuming that my appreciation pales to that of a lot of other people. You're right, though, from everything I've heard, these remasters really let every instrument come through loud and clear. The vocals sound better, too.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So far I've only heard remastered Revolver, stereo mixed down to mono. It's pretty spectacular.

Thanks for the links, Spiffy.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If any of the links expire, let me know & I'll re-upload. If I remember correctly, they stay alive for 10 downloads, or 30 days, whichever comes first.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Also giving a much hearty thanks, Spiff. White Album is really great.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I'm not much of a Beatles fan, tried getting into them years ago, but it didn't work out. Willing to try again, spurred on by the free links you provided. Thanks dude, only through the first half of Revolver but I'm digging it.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm trying to download the stereo boxed set on BitTorrent but it's frozen at 39.4%. Fuck you, BitTorrent.

DMann1979

Integral Poster
Reaction score
BTW, I think the best offer right now on the individual albums is at Target. They're on sale for 11.98 (16.99 for The Beatles and Past Masters) and for every 2 you buy you receive a $5 dollar gift card. Do the math, 12 single disc albums and 2 double albums- 11.98 x 12= 143.76, 16.99 x 2= 33.98, total cost (pre-tax): $177.74 plus 35 dollars in Target gift cards.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The white album's never sounded better. It's like putting on eyeglasses but for your ears. Those 1987 reissues sure did suck, huh.

Punch Rockgroin

Very Active Poster
Reaction score
Anyone else notice Lennon's flub on the final verse of Please Please Me? I don't know if that was always there and I didn't notice until the remasters or if that's a different master altogether. I've only got the first album for now but I really can't wait to hear the Abbey Road and Revolver remasters.

DMann1979

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Abbey Road will smoke your ass, because unlike all the others it was only done in Stereo, so there's no argument over whether the Mono is the preferred version.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Abbey Road will indeed smoke your ass. It sounds beautiful. Even the hammer effect sounds better!

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Now whenever a Beatles song comes up on my iPod whilst shuffling, all I can think is "These drums sound like paper bags full of air".

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Man... the more I listen to these remasters, the more amazed I am at the process and attention to detail that went into making this happen. It's gotten to the point where hearing certain songs (Anna, Money, Taxman amongst a boatload of others) can just make me smile at how insanely good this is.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Really good! I play the early albums in mono, though. Stereo Revolver is obnoxious.

Taxman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[flash=200,200]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z2vU8M6CYI&hd=1[/flash]