The Best of Standup Comedy?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Best advice I can offer is just rip the Band Aid off and do it. 99.9% chance you will suck the first time (and for a while after that) so what the hell?

Maybe during this isolation period I can finally write the CXF article on doing standup I've been thinking about for a while.

The Valeyard

Sha la la la, man.
I did an open mic way back and I don't think I sucked in the sense no one told me I sucked, but no one was really there so it doesn't matter. Used to do theater stuff, figured it'd be simpler than it was. But you know, fear of failing means fear of trying and so on.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
https://twitter.com/KennyDeForest/status/1268288525234876416
This Dave Chappelle story inspired me more than anything this week.

For his faults, I think no one besides maybe Pryor has ever been better in comedy towards speaking about issues of race.

Staff member
I accidentally presented this without comment. It is even better than you'd think.

The Valeyard

Sha la la la, man.
The first live comedy act coming to town since COVID is Brendan Schaub at the end of the month. Three nights.

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
iO Chicago is closing down. Huge bummer for me, I've been writing and performing on a show at iO since November and it was a real blast. Lots of really cool names in comedy came through that place. Not surprised it went under, though, that place did not exactly seem like it was firing on all cylinders. They still owe us a check, pretty certain we'll never see it.

The Valeyard

Sha la la la, man.
Schaub has been a timebomb, I'm sure. Might need to ask around if anyone here has any Callen or Schaub stories.

Every show here is cancelled and being held on pay-per-Zoom. All local guys thus far whose gimmick is smoking weed and trying to be Hedberg.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
We have some drive in and outdoor stuff starting. I'm doing a show at an outdoor beer garden in Worcester on 8/29. Maybe I can refuse to make eye contact with @Laz from a 6+ foot distance.

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
We have some drive in and outdoor stuff starting. I'm doing a show at an outdoor beer garden in Worcester on 8/29. Maybe I can refuse to make eye contact with @Laz from a 6+ foot distance.

Things are getting kind of normal-ish in Chicago. I did a live streamed show from a smaller club on Saturday, and I've done some rooftop stuff. There are some mics in public parks and on the beds of pickups. Both Laugh Factory and Zanies are opening back up. A lot of comics are being pretty judgmental towards those doing these shows, which I guess is predictable.

The Valeyard

Sha la la la, man.
They turned the comedy club here into a socially distance restaurant where they only use their usual menu, but added milkshakes. Comedy club food with a milkshake sounds awful.