Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Best of Standup Comedy?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So many dude bro comics have moved to Austin, TX. I feel bad for the comics who were already there. It WAS a good scene but now Idk...

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
What I know about the Austin comedy scene is that the comics seem way more relaxed and accessible. I hear more stories about just hanging out with various ones after shows than the shows themselves. One of my seriously misplaced priorities when I was considering moving there a while back was having friends who will get smoked out by Morgan Murphy whenever she's in town.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
tbh almost every Austin comic I've met has been chill as hell but that was all pre Rogan. There were some galaxy brained libertarian types too (who were super nice, I guess) but hey, Austin's Alex Jones' hometown so its had that streak long before Rogan hit the city.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was going to make a remark about how while he may be a horrible comic and seem like a horrible person, he did a truly heroic thing but I keep getting distracted by the fact he's wearing a hat adorned with multiple Chief Wahoo logos while recounting this harrowing tale. #VirtueSignalingKamala

Valeyard

Reaction score
I have no idea who those guys are but I just know the ones I want to get Covid haven't. I also live in a pretty woke twitter bubble when it comes to comics so I've got a bit of a bias. I wonder if Andy Kindler and I are still bros re: woke comics.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And I felt like a putz for spending $150 to do a workshop with semi-disgraced former booker for Letterman in year 3ish of doing stand-up. I didn't even get sick but we did spend an frustatingly inordinate amount of time arguing about how to split our lunch bill.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nah. Eddie Brill, the guy who was stand up booker until 2012 when he got fired for telling NYT that too many female comics just wanted men to like them.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Now that's fucking scary. Didn't even have someone to dump him at Eric Stoltz's house.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know but they're a lot more intimidating when he is spouting antivaxxer stuff instead of telling jokes about how messed up drinking too much tequila makes you feel.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Falling for every single dumb conspiracy theory has to be hard on one's sleep cycle.