Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Biden Presidency Vol. 1

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It makes the (less often, less stark) disagreements with his decisions so much easier to handle. I'm in such a better head space, or whatever, with Biden in office because he's a human. That other previous swampthing just wasn't. I don't give a fucking shit about that thing's status.

Reactions: Laz

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Main, driving reason I went with Biden over a fringe left candidate is how genuinely compassionate he seemed defending Hunter Biden from the stupid right wing conspiracies. Politics shouldn't be personal but they kind of are after four years with a sociopath at the helm.

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Very underrated move on Biden's part: https://www.marketplace.org/2021/07/09/biden-administration-seeks-broader-access-hearing-aids/

"Still, most insurance doesn’t cover hearing aids, and the average cost is more than $5,000 for a pair ... The high-end audio company Bose just gained approval for prescription-free hearing aids for $850 apiece, said Roberta Clarke, emeritus professor at Boston University."

I've often been paying around $2,500 to $3,000 per hearing aid since my teenage years and that shit adds up when you go through 2-3 hearing aids in about 10-15 years.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

i like all this. monopolies are awful and must be destroyed.

Also Monopoly the board game sucks, #Risk4Ever

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Monopoly is fine, just takes a long time to win. Fuck Park Place and fuck the utilities space!

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
well if they need it then they should be able to access it so that's a good thing. anyone with a legitimate disability should be able to get help. Obviously you need to be able to distinguish between those who do and don't need the help but that's a separate issue.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Yeah, we can't be out here denying assistance to people who need it, out of some misguided fear that some small percentage of people are going to game the system.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wasn't implying that was a bad thing at all! I'll be sure to include "yay" and "boo" to indicate my feelings when I post news article links in the future.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
I don't think that either one of us thought that you were saying it was a bad thing: I certainly didn't. I was just co-signing CWM, who looked like he was just expanding on your OP.

sfaJack

Integral Poster
Reaction score
But didn't the Supreme Court already rule that only Congress can extend that moratorium? Not sure how this will be allowed to stand.

Staff member
Reaction score
But didn't the Supreme Court already rule that only Congress can extend that moratorium? Not sure how this will be allowed to stand.

It won't stand. They will overturn it literally as soon as possible and they should. Yes it is morally right to extend it, but the President is not a dictator and the four years before this showed me we need to keep things from going down that road.

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess Biden's executive order overrides the moratorium.

All it takes is for a landlord to walk into a court with the SCOTUS ruling and it will move up very quickly through the courts. It's not going to stand. POTUS can't be allowed to ignore shit and do whatever they want. We just saw someone try to do that repeatedly. Did we learn anything?

I have no respect for most landlords, many of whom are complete scum. But this is a case where the office of the Presidency needs to be put back in their place before we wind up with a dictator. Being right is not a good enough reason to unilaterally impose laws upon people, because anyone who does that thinks they're right even when they aren't.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I've shaved my head for years. YOU AIN'T GOT SHIT ON ME, DANDY. GO BACK TO YOUR DESK.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
909 is right. Ruling through executive orders is a serious problem. The fact that it's being done by someone we "like" right now shouldn't matter. I don't blame Biden for doing it because he is following established precedent at this point and Congress ain't doing shit. The system is broken.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score

This article argues that, no, it is not a definite that the Biden administration can't extend the moratorium. The main argument is that 5 judges ruled the CDC can do eviction moratoriums, with 1 of those 5 being Kavanaugh. Kavanaugh further clarified that he believes congressional authorization would be needed to extend it beyond 7/31, but that is not any sort of binding ruling that would automatically strike down this extension should you walk into court with a copy of the ruling in hand, it's merely saying that is how he (presumably) would vote should another case make its way to the Supreme Court. So as of right now the Supreme Court has ruled 5-4 in favor of eviction moratoriums.