Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Biden Presidency Vol. 1

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't want to get banned on Twitter, so....

fuck off and die marsha

Staff member
Reaction score

"We have real concerns [about] the policies that our Saudi partners have pursued and, accordingly, the president-elect has said we will review the entirety of the relationship to make sure that, as it stands, it is advancing the interests [and is] respectful of the values that we bring to that partnership," Blinken said.

In December, Haaretz revealed some of Joe Biden’s previously undisclosed criticisms of Saudi Arabia. In 1986, the Delaware Senator told the Israeli U.S. ambassador he thought the Kingdom was “no more than a collection of 500 princes and their families.” Biden also said that “the fatal mistake in U.S. policy occurred in 1982, when it decided to strive for strategic consensus in the Persian Gulf. The result was a shift of the center of gravity from America’s true friend, Israel, to others [referring to the sale of warplanes to Saudi Arabia].”

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score

"Biden will be fulfilling a campaign promise in the memorandum, rescinding the so-called Mexico City Policy, a ban on US government funding for foreign nonprofits that perform or promote abortions. The Trump administration reinstated the restriction in 2017 by presidential memorandum and then extended it to cover all applicable US global health funding. That made some $9.5 billion in aid for everything from HIV treatment to clean water projects and child immunizations contingent on groups agreeing not to discuss or perform abortions.

The memorandum will also direct the Health and Human Services Department to immediately move to consider rescinding the Trump administration rule blocking health care providers in the federally funded Title X family planning program from referring patients for abortions."

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think that magic potion involves reality tv show stardom and Enquirer adultery cover stories.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
I'm pleasantly surprised that Biden isn't taking the same "well, let's wait & see if they really want to compromise." approach that his young buddy Barack did with the GOP. He's also striking a really good tone. Maybe he'll be an OK President!

There's signs of a lack of understanding of white privilege, if you don't get why Obama had to do it like that. Pushing a partisan agenda through would have stuck to him in a way that it's simply not going to stick to Biden. That being said, I do agree that it'll be a good thing, in the long run, if Democrats have learned their lesson, from the experience.

Now, pass voting reform, and make Election Day a federal holiday, already.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also we're in the middle of a global pandemic that makes this partisan hemming and hawing loo. As bad as the 2008/09 global recession was, it pales in comparison (plus we have another global recession on top of that!) Bush dug a hole that was impossible to get out of. Trump has dug a hole that is impossible NOT to approve on.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
The point Slim made about white privilege is true, but I also think liberals are much more fed up and unwilling to compromise with the GOP in 2021 than they were in 2009. A lot of progressive shit is gonna be passed in the next four years.

Staff member
Reaction score
There's signs of a lack of understanding of white privilege, if you don't get why Obama had to do it like that. Pushing a partisan agenda through would have stuck to him in a way that it's simply not going to stick to Biden. That being said, I do agree that it'll be a good thing, in the long run, if Democrats have learned their lesson, from the experience.

Now, pass voting reform, and make Election Day a federal holiday, already.

He also hired a lot of the wrong staff (like Larry Summers, who has gotten absolutely burned the last two days) who would discourage him from doing these things.
The point Slim made about white privilege is true, but I also think liberals are much more fed up and unwilling to compromise with the GOP in 2021 than they were in 2009. A lot of progressive shit is gonna be passed in the next four years.

Yeah, for one thing they revealed their true face a while ago instead of how it worked with Obama where they didn't do that to him for a few months. And the GOP has had a lot of time to release alternative proposals and they haven't, which they've been punished for routinely at this point.

Last edited:

Hoff

EVERYTHING
Reaction score
RE: the PRO Act

I'm all politicked up after yelling about racists in the Mandalorian thread, so I wanted to take a look at the provisions regarding independent contractors in the PRO Act for myself, assuming (correctly) that the poster on the wrestling classics board had not copied the text verbatim. Here it is word-for-word (I'll link at the end):

(2) EMPLOYEE.—Section 2(3) of the National Labor Relations Act (29 U.S.C. 152(3)) is amended by adding at the end the following: “An individual performing any service shall be considered an employee (except as provided in the previous sentence) and not an independent contractor, unless—
“(A) the individual is free from control and direction in connection with the performance of the service, both under the contract for the performance of service and in fact;
“(B) the service is performed outside the usual course of the business of the employer; and
“(C) the individual is customarily engaged in an independently established trade, occupation, profession, or business of the same nature as that involved in the service performed.”.

So for how the WWE functions currently, I think its wrestlers pass C, in so far as they are customarily engaged in the trade of wrestling, and that is the service they are performing for WWE. However, they wouldn't seem to pass A, and they 100% do not pass B. So, it looks like if this act passes, the WWE might legally be forced to classify them as employees? I don't know how much that would really change for them. Curious if anyone with legal knowledge has opinions.

PRO Act: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/2474/text

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score

In practice, that means ICE arrests would be limited largely to immigrants who have been convicted of felony offenses and are already detained in federal or state prisons.

The same day they put in a bill to give a path to citizenship for 11 million people https://www.npr.org/sections/inaugu...ion-biden-goes-big-in-opening-bid-to-congress

As far as the Minimum wage tweet. What the article actually said is he doesn't think they can do it because of reconciliation but he isn't going to stop trying. Manchin and Sinema aren't backing it so they don't have the votes.

I'm not saying it's all ok but guys on twitter are not giving context or provide actual news.