Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The BIGLY Discussion of Anime/Manga Thread

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/top-5-dragon-ball-anime-films/

Top 5 Dragon Ball Films as voted by over 6,000 fans. Curious what CWM and others think (as somebody who knows very little of the Dragonball universe).

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That would probably be my list although I don't know if I would have it in that order. A lot of the movies are just kind of there but those are all pretty good.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Finished up the following anime. I also started up Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai as it got a very high score and seems to be a really interesting watch from a possible Science Fiction aspect.

UzaMaid! 6/10 - Fine for what it was. If you're into the potential plot, give it a go but don't bother otherwise. It didn't quite delve into the backstory of the lead young girl and her history as much as I'd like so it lacked a real "depth" to it all beyond the surface level shenanigans.

Ms. Vampire Who Lives In My Neighborhood 6/10 - Light fluff which served its purpose of being cute. Not a whole lot more to the surface but it's a quick, inoffensive watch.

SSSS.Gridman 7/10 - I really liked this one. Enjoyed the final battle and am hoping a 2nd Season comes around. I do wish we saw a bit more of the secondary characters as they seemed to be pushed into the background a bit in favor of Akane and the Kaiju aspects.

Zombie Land Saga 9/10 - Really want a 2nd Season of this one. I feel like the reporter exploration aspect could be delved into much deeper even if the Idol aspect kind of started to run its course towards the end of the season run. With that said, Tae-Chan is still Best Zombie Idol.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
SSSS Gridman was really good. I don't know if they'll do any second season. It seemed to be basically an allegory/metaphor/whatever for mentall illness and unless they move on to some other kid not a lot of room there.

Goblin Slayer ended up being really great as well. It's very graphic especially the first episode but less so than something like Berserk.

That Time I got.... is the best show of the season that I've watched and it's continuing into the next few months.

I've been letting Zombieland, Magical Index s3 pile up and i've gotta finish those.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Been working my way through some older shows in an effort to see what I've "missed" by not being into Anime at the time.

Laid-Back Camp 8/10 - Really great little slice of life revolving around a girl who meets another camping and subsequently joins up with an Outdoor Activities Club whilst simultaneously trying to befriend the girl she met originally.

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions Season 1 8.5/10 - Fantastic little show about a middle school girl (Rikka) portraying chuunibyo (a mature know-it-all or somebody who believes they have special powers nobody else has) whom quickly befriends a high school boy (Yuuta) who's grown out of that phase only to quickly find himself caught up in chaos. A few others get involved, including the hottest girl in the high school (Nibutani), and it is amazing + all the feels. The artwork is visually gorgeous when the "special powers" come into play and the pig-tailed blonde, Dekomori, is my favorite of the group.

There's also a 2nd Season which I'll be starting up very shortly. FAKE EDIT: CWM has seen this because of course he has :p But this would definitely fit in his wheelhouse so I'm not too surprised.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/01/05/2019-anime-most-anticipated-preview/

i'm into most of these. One Punch Man season 2 has me HYPED. Waiting for October until new My Hero is really tough though. Some of the stuff that's brand new is intriguing sounding.

At least the My Hero... movie should be out on dvd (and streaming i assume) in the next month or two.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I started High Score Girl. Does the female lead ever talk or is she just presented as an over-emotional stereotype that can't express themselves in any other way aside from grunting and violence? I mean I'm used to typical anime bullshit where man children have no idea how to write female characters but this is kind of ridiculous.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
HQ you might like this one based on the first two episodes https://myanimelist.net/anime/37999/Kaguya-sama_wa_Kokurasetai__Tensai-tachi_no_Renai_Zunousen both characters going to extreme lengths to trick the other into confessing/aboid being the one.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Tried that and couldn't really get into it very much but I am digging Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka. Asuka's a bad ass and the show has a surprisingly dark backstory to the plot itself.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
cobainwasmurdered said:
every magical girl show has a dark backstory now it seems like.

Yeah. Seems like Japan isn't that different from the US in that if something works, it quickly becomes the new 'formula' for that type of show. See the rise of Idol shows in recent years and the rebirth of Mecha stuff following the successes of shows like Gurren Lagann (ala SSSS.Gridman as an example).

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Finished up Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai... gut wrenching the Kaede stuff at the end :( I did hear they've recently announced a movie, though!

Also recently finished Love, Chunibyo, & Other Delusions Season 2 which was fun, maybe as good as the first season. <3 Dekomori still.

May start up Love! Live! School Idol Project which aired from 2013-2014 ahead of the later series Love! Live! Sunshine!! which I had already finished up and really liked a lot.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
have you seen the "my hero" movie yet? it's online although maybe not legally in both subs and dubs. I really enjoyed it.

Mob Psycho II hasn't been as good as season 1 so far but is still fun.

The Raising of the Shield Hero is probably the best of the new shows this season with its subverting of the typical "hero transported to new world" by having everyone hate him and he becomes more of an anti-hero and his weapon is a shield.

Kaguya-same: Love is war is a funny little show if you like lighthearted boy/girl stuff. The school president and VP are in love with each other buy refuse to admit it and go to "war" to trick the other into admitting it with all kinds of wackyness.

Fairy Tail has been really good so far as this last season is basically nothing but action.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
cobainwasmurdered said:
have you seen the "my hero" movie yet? it's online although maybe not legally in both subs and dubs. I really enjoyed it.

Managed to watch it this morning. 8/10

Such good stuff and really liked the plot itself. Worked well for a movie without being heavily dense whilst fitting into the realm of MHA as a plausible 2-3 ep style run. I did feel the score kind of lacked a little bit but it hit the requisite 'feel' moments within the movie.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Finally(!) watched A Silent Voice and it was amazing. Hit close to home a bit too much from the hearing aid factor to constantly apologizing to the voice/vocal sound aspect (as somebody who took speech therapy as a kid and goes overboard in focusing on proper pronunciation). Even then, there are certain words/sounds I try to avoid saying due to my speech issues. Also her losing or breaking 8 hearing aids, holy fuck... for perspective, my current ones are only "mid level" and were $3,000 for both combined.

I think I preferred Your Name from an emotional story standpoint and visually but ASV was the better character development/script story.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Spring 2019 anime is starting to roll out with new stuff like Part 2 of the 3rd Season of Attack on Titan, 2nd Season of One Punch Man, Fruits Basket, and the 3rd Season of Bungou Stray Dogs probably being the bigger titles of note.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah it's a fantastic lineup of shows for once. Of the new stuff that's started so far this looks like the best https://myanimelist.net/anime/39063/Fairy_Gone basically people bonded with "fairies" to fight a brutal war and then when it ended they lost their purpose (as soldiers do) and its set years after and shows the paths they all followed and things like that.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One Punch Man switched animation studios for the new season and it's a big downgrade. The super crazy art style that mad it such a joy is gone. The fun sense of humor and everything is still there as the writing seems to be the same and it's still a very good show (and the fight scenes in the last episode were much better than they had been) but it's a real pity they couldn't get the same animators again. The first season had a dream team of people since it was such a big project apparently.

The new season (or half season whatever) of Attack on Titan has been great. All action and major developments which is really nice.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Harley Quinn said:
Finally(!) watched A Silent Voice and it was amazing. Hit close to home a bit too much from the hearing aid factor to constantly apologizing to the voice/vocal sound aspect (as somebody who took speech therapy as a kid and goes overboard in focusing on proper pronunciation). Even then, there are certain words/sounds I try to avoid saying due to my speech issues. Also her losing or breaking 8 hearing aids, holy fuck... for perspective, my current ones are only "mid level" and were $3,000 for both combined.

I think I preferred Your Name from an emotional story standpoint and visually but ASV was the better character development/script story.

Watched "A Silent Voice" last night and LOVED it. I can't compare it to "Your Name" since it is such a different movie but it's excellent. The way it looks at bullying and alienation really got to me.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Finished up a few anime

High School DxD Hero (Season 4): Despite the heavy ecchi, the story is still engaging and fun enough to hold this all together somehow.
Sweet Blue Flowers: A sweet Yuri anime with some complex characters and relationships despite the pretty simple plot. Also the music score really stood out for me.
Love Live! School Idol Project Season 1: Just a fun series , adorable characters and interactions between the group, and the music is pretty solid too.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Right Stuf Anime has an exclusive Blu-Ray box set of Kill La Kill featuring all 24 episodes for $159.98 dropping on 12/24/19. Pre-ordered it because the individual Blu-Rays are insanely costly and I have a feeling the above could quickly go OOP itself.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
good lord that's a lot of money for something that's on netflix.

There's a bunch of fun-ish shows this season but aside from Vinland Saga not sure if any yet are much watch. Vinland Saga is much watch for anyone who like Vikings/war/etc it's fucking awesome. The attention to detail of it's setting and mythos is fantastic.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9530620/kyoto-animation-fire-several-feared-dead-arson-japan/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunmaintwitter&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1563428533

Home of a bunch of big anime like Haruhi, KON, and Lucky Star. Really awful to see something like this happen and for people to die because of some fucked up asshole.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
cobainwasmurdered said:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9530620/kyoto-animation-fire-several-feared-dead-arson-japan/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunmaintwitter&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1563428533

Home of a bunch of big anime like Haruhi, KON, and Lucky Star. Really awful to see something like this happen and for people to die because of some fucked up asshole.

Holy Shit. Wonder if he was an ex-employee? Just seems so random that this guy would target an animation studio of all places.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/07/19/suspect-in-animation-studio-arson-fire-reportedly-had-grudge/

As of this time, it has been figured out that he was not an employee of the studio nor was he an otaku of anime (trains, he was though). He says that he believes they stole novels and people are sure they heard "you ripped me off" among other things. Not sure what that's referring to, but that's his claim.

The reason that there are so many deaths is because the killer blocked the exits, so it wasn't just because it was an older building at fault, but this man did everything possible to kill everyone.

There are 33 people who have died, 37 are in the hospital (some still in critical condition who may die), and everything that Kyoani has ever done has been lost to the fire.

Regardless of campaign to give back to KyoAni to help those who survived this tragedy, this is probably the end of Kyoto Animation. I'm just hoping that those who survive are able to live to their fullest.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Horribly depressing stuff there, especially the 33 killed and that may not even be the final number :(

Also a shame this may end Kyoto Animation as they did a ton of known stuff: A Silent Voice, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Violet Evergarden, Love Chunibyo and Other Delusions, K-On, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star, and Kanon. Major blow to anime's recent history and impact on the Western world.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
There's also a few people who still haven't been accounted for as well. So yes, that number is going to go up higher. Those in ICU probably won't make it. I wouldn't be surprised we get to 2/3rds of the staff are dead.

Honestly it was thanks to Kyoani that I got back fully into anime. Or perhaps better to say I didn't dive entirely into it until Haruhi came along.

The man in question (I'm not stating the asshole's name) is that they stole his ideas and his novel. That's what that was about. And that was his reasoning to kill all those people and destroy Kyoani.

Doesn't matter if the authorities seek and get the death penalty though. The killer succeeded in what he set out to do.

CNN's article is actually a great article on how the world loses because of what happened. And I never thought I would see an article on CNN signifying the importance of a studio like this. That's how disheartening this is.
https://www.cnn.com/style/article/kyoto-animation-studio-cultural-impact-and-loss-opinion/index.html

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some old funimation VA stuff leaked out of them doing "edgy" stuff in their dragonball characters voices. Some of it is homophobic, there's a bunch of incest stuff etc. No telling how old it is. Lots of "MAH CHILDHOOD" reactions and people trying to use it as a way to excuse one of the people they fired in the pasts (alleged) sexual misconduct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFJr0qj7_Jk

https://gamerant.com/funimation-audio-leak/

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Gonna finish up Fairy Tail tomorrow (5 episodes left!) but man what a run this season's been. Also all the parents, lol.