Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The BIGLY Discussion of Anime/Manga Thread

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally knocked out No Game No Life. It was okay, wasn't a big fan of Team Blank being so incredible given their environment and such but loved the game concept and characterization. Also finished up Season 2 of Food Wars! and enjoyed it, not as strong as Season 1 but still solid stuff.

Also finished the 2nd and 3rd of the Fairy Tail OVAs (OVAs 7, 8, and 9). Lewd stuff, yes, but enjoyable enough. I liked the concept of the Christmas event and thought they did a good job with the presentation. The game itself also felt like something Fairy Tail as a group would do for entertainment.

Dumped Trickster after 11 episodes. It was okay but I just wasn't feeling it enough to continue on with it. Kind of feeling the same towards Twin Star Exorcists but Benio is so great that she's keeping me from dumping it entirely. Up through 27 eps there.

Blue Exorcist is starting up with a 2nd Season (?) with the subtitle being Kyoto Saga and just 12 episodes.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: 2017-2018 Anime/Manga Love Thread

fucking koab had me watching videos of Keijo for like an hour last night at like midnight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm9WVS5shJo

this is the funniest shit ever. The way it is played completely serious makes it perfect.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Finally dumped Twin Star Exorcists and started up a new show, Interviews With Monster Girls, which is a pretty simple yet breezy show. Plot revolves around a Biology teacher wanting to interview Demi-Humans for a thesis but has never met one before. Suddenly he finds himself amidst a Succubus Math teacher, a vampire student, a dullahan (the headless girl), and a snow woman. Also the vampire girl has an identical twin who's human.

b1c69fdf8a8bb0a4c43bf6dc04b2d8001476296530_full.jpg

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

shows im watching right now:
Akiba's Trip The Animation
Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Fujouou-hen
ChäoS;Child
Dragon Ball Super
Gabriel DropOut
Gintama
Twin Star Exorcists
Youjo Senki

Im 184 eps into gintama and trying to catch up now that I know it's getting close to ending. Akiba is really funny. Twin Stars is inoffensive. Youjo Senki is amusing because of it being a japanese salaryman in the body of a kid in ww1 setting. Nothing is really standing out.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I'm RAPIDLY devouring Gintama. I'm up to episode 308 that's how fast I've been going. I just finished the
Shogun Assassination Arc
and hooooly shit was it great. Gintama is probably the best anime overall I've seen because it has everything. Everyone knows it for the comedy (and it does every kind of comedy at that) but it also has intense action and really emotional moments and everything else and it can blend it all into one episode at that. It has a steep learning curve because you really need to know a lot about Japan or be willing to miss about a third of the humor but I've found it more than worth it.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Dagashi Kashi: Complete Series is dropping 4/18. Hell yeah!

Other stuff coming down the pike...
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya via FUNimation on 5/30
Speed Racer: Complete Series via FUNimation on 5/30
One Punch Man: Season 1 via VIZ Media on 4/25
My Hero Academia: Season 1 via FUNimation on 4/18
Is It Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? via Sentai Filmworks on 3/28
Wolf Children: Hosoda Collection via FUNimation on 3/14
School Days: Complete Series via Discotek Media on 2/28

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Just started up the show Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid this afternoon and it's far more enjoyable than I was expecting it to be going in. Gonna zip through all 8 episodes that have aired easy (already onto episode 5 as it is).

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Chaos:child (which is the sequel to Chaos:head) is pretty hilarious. I don't think it's supposed to be but it is! I love when shows like this take themselves serious.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

this is a giant season of anime starting, among other things:

FINALLY getting the new season of ATTACK ON TITAN

more Berserk
My Hero Academia season 2
Boruto (so a continuation of Naruto with the next generation)
the SIXTH season of Natsume Yuuchinchou
a bunch of card game type shows: Yugioh, beyblades, future card buddyfight, duel masters all getting new shows.

Plus more I don't know much about. I'll be watching Titan, Berserk and My Hero. I'm only in the first season of Natsume but it seems good. I'm only in the early going of Naruto Shippoden (so thats like 50 eps in..) and no idea if i'll ever watch more. No interest in the card duel shows although I believe NJPW had Okada appear on the last future card show so that is neat.

As far as the stuff from last season. Chaos:Child ended up not even being funny bad by the end. Gabriel Dropout stayed amusing. Tanya the Evil was pretty fun but a bit uneven. I loved the Gintama season but you have to be current on Gintama to get it since it was the summation of like 300+ episodes.

Best show I watched from this season was Akiba's Trip, lots of fun humour including an episode that culminates in a big tag team wrestling match, and an ep thats a giant parody of the street fighter game. Really enjoyed it.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Psyched for S2 of Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia. Finished up Interviews With Monster Girls and it was decent fluff, not great but not horrible. Also close to finishing up Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid which has been a lot of fun with a premise I didn't think I'd like much at all. Somewhat simple as a show but the relationships make it great and Kanna is adorable as hell! Glad I tried that one out based on MAL User scores.

Almost done with Blood Blockade Battlefront and it's solid. I kind of had higher expectations after the first couple episodes and it's faltered a little bit for me but mostly worth the watch.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

So my update...

Finished Bloody Blockade Battlefront and it was solid. Kind of faltered towards the end a bit but mostly stayed strong enough. Also finished up Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and I fucking adored this show. Crossing my fingers it gets a 2nd Season just because the characters were so fun. Hammered out Akiba's Trip: The Animation, another fun series although not a high point one for me. Saga of Tanya the Evil ended up kind of blah to me towards the end despite showing some potential at the start and middle so that was disappointing.

Continuing to roll with Attack on Titan: Season 2 and My Hero Academy: Season 2. Both are awesome and same for Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood especially now that I've gotten on a roll with it.

Dumped Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga aka Season 2 and Parasyte: Maxim as I just wasn't feeling them enough to continue with either.

Started up Love Tyrant, which I'm enjoying a lot, as well as planning to start up/roll with A Certain Scientific Railgun (despite having little interest in Magical Index but may watch that further down the road). Also started High School DxD: BorN aka Season 3 too just because, it's like the YuriYuri series and in that you can't just stop part way.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Glad you finally are watching Railgun after my telling you about it numerous times over the years. And you should watch both series as they're interconnected (not essential but it is definetly worth it) and both have their merits and weakness's. Tanya the Evil petered out hard, really lame like it had no idea where to go with its concept.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

CWM said:
Glad you finally are watching Railgun after my telling you about it numerous times over the years. And you should watch both series as they're interconnected (not essential but it is definetly worth it) and both have their merits and weakness's. Tanya the Evil petered out hard, really lame like it had no idea where to go with its concept.

Yeah, Tanya felt like it had a bit of a direction then it hit a wall in the last 3rd of the season and wasn't sure what to do with the lead character/the entire scenario to try and fit any type of conclusion.

Reminded me of US Shows that start out thinking they'll get a 2nd Season so they don't try to write with an ending in mind then realize they've been cancelled/won't get picked up after the last episode has aired which solved nothing.

I briefly tried out that show Drifters and made it about 1/2 through the first episode. Looks like it could be solid (and definitely something up CWM's alley) but not really my style.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

https://myanimelist.net/anime/35730/Musekinin_Galaxy%E2%98%86Tylor

holy shit of all the shows to get a rebirth/respin I didn't think it'd be fucking irresponsible captain tylor! I watched that waaaay back when I first got into anime.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Finished up Attack on Titan Season 2 and A Certain Scientific Railgun Season 1 (MAL didn't list S as the next thing leaving me confused when I saw there were more eps on Crunchy Roll after the 24th one). Also, just 1 episode away from finishing up Love Tyrant, which has been a decent show although the male protagonist kinda sucks.

Was bored and looking through past seasonal anime and decided to start up Gabriel DropOut from Winter 2017. The first episode was enjoyable and fun so I'm hopeful the rest of the show can hold up. Two female angels (Gabriel and Raphael) come to Earth to learn about humanity and are soon joined at the school by Satania, a female demon deeply believing she'll rule Hell soon, and Vigne, the demon who watches over Gabriel while not realizing she's more angel like than pure demon.

82590l.jpg

Conspiracy_Victim

Integral Poster
Reaction score

CWM said:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35730/Musekinin_Galaxy%E2%98%86Tylor

holy shit of all the shows to get a rebirth/respin I didn't think it'd be fucking irresponsible captain tylor! I watched that waaaay back when I first got into anime.

The original Tylor was/is awesome. I've been wearing my DVD set out.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Is Stein's Gate any good?

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Empty Fossil of the New Scene said:
Is Stein's Gate any good?

It's an awesome anime. Definitely worth a blind watch (I'd argue even a blind buy but that's just me). If you're into science + time travel-esque plots/engaging characters (the lead scientist is a bit goofy at times but endearing all the same in his quest) you'll greatly dig this and probably will like it even if you're meh towards that.

CWM gave the show a 10, KOAB and I gave it a 9. The movie also serves as a good final episode and is worth checking out when you finish the series although CWM scored that one -9- higher than KOAB -7- or I -8- did.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Interesting.. it's on sale on Amazon so I was thinking of picking it up after I saw the comparisons to Donnie Darko.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Empty Fossil of the New Scene said:
Interesting.. it's on sale on Amazon so I was thinking of picking it up after I saw the comparisons to Donnie Darko.

There are some similarities to Donnie Darko but I think the anime goes on a deeper level in terms of the effect of it all on the cast of characters.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score

The lead scientist's goofiness is better explained in the game it is based off of, so that's really the only downfall.

Though, the goofiness is now so ingrained, it basically is a part of him.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

not much on this season so far. Yet another Fate series that I'll watch though.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

This season might be the worst I can remember since I started watching anime live a few years ago.

Currently airing shows I'm watching:

Boku no Hero Academia 2nd Season- one of the best shonen shows of recent years, this started last season
Dragon Ball Super- Once they got past redoing the movie arcs and especially with the Goku Black Arc this show really picked up, and has been a good watch as a DBZ mark. Obviously this also started before this season
Gamers! - This is the one show that started this season I REALLY like. It revolves a bunch of high schoolers who like video games and has the kind of sense of humor I really enjoy.
Classroom of the Elite - This would be a middling show usually but is one of the better this season. It's assasination classroom without the alien basically.
Fate/Apocrypha - I don't know how you double the number of servants and yet have almost no action in 5 episodes so far. So boooring.
Chronos Ruler- they like can slow up and speed down time and they fight monsters that feed on regret and shit? and the dad looks like a younger brother? it's not good i should drop it.
Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu- They used to be swords and now they're time travelers? Also should drop this.
Made in Abyss - only watched one ep of this and it wasnt that interesting.
Shoukoku no Altair- it's the ottoman empire but not? i don't know

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Finished up a couple shows: High School DxD Born (Season 3 of High School DxD) and it was pretty typical of the other seasons IMO.

Also finished Gabriel DropOut which was fun although it teased character development traits that never were really developed by the end. My favorite character was Satania, a "demon" from the underworld intent on being a future ruler of the world who is clumsy and struggles to properly pull off the "evil" necessarily expected of such a character in a school setting
such as using a magic gun on Gabriel... which would make her convulse with laughter for 10 minutes. How devious!
. She also sees Gabriel as her ultimate competition despite Gabriel's complete apathy towards anything but playing MMORPGs. A lot of the show rides on the concept of 'fallen angels' and flipping the script re: Angel/Demon expectations and it mostly works to its credit.

Started up Sakura Trick finally. Been a show I've been wanting to watch for a while so I'm intrigued.

Also continuing with My Hero Academia Season 2 and A Certain Scientific Railgun Season 2. Enjoying both shows and MHA has nailed how to do tournament arc storylines without feeling slow.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

YES! Dagashi Kashi is getting a 2nd Season, scheduled for 2018! So looking forward to that one.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Sentai Filmworks is releasing a couple complete series: When They Cry (3 Seasons) on 12/12, To Love Ru (3 Seasons) on 12/19, and The Familiar of Zero (4 Seasons) on 12/19.

FUNimation is dropping Rosario+Vampire (2 Seasons) on 11/14.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score

Funny enough Rosario+Vampire's second season of the manga goes full on shounen if you can believe it. Sadly, the author stopped making it, so there'll be no end for me. :(

To Love Ru is such a tease that goes no where. To Love Ru Darkness just as much. So much potential in Darkness (meaning manga) and it just stopped. Kept expecting the damn thing to go serious like Black Cat, but like NOPE. SUCKA!

Fall's bringing some niceness for me. Umaru-chan's back! Mahoutsukai no Yome is quite an interesting story about a young child and her monster magician fiance. Though I'm happy... I'm also terrified of what'll happen with UQ Holder!, and then...

There's the first movie of Heaven's Feel.

If it keeps any of the elements from the game route, the movie is going to be some of the most screwed up things you will likely see. I'd spoil, but I'd like you to find out how messed up the Fate world is. Let's just put it this way, Fate/Zero is the prologue to how screwed up what the universe called Nasuverse can be.

I'm not sure if it'll hit When They Cry or chaos;head levels. I sort of usually stick away from these "hey, let's show how messed up everyone is", but the first two routes sort of hooked me on it that I thought "ah, third can't be that bad". NOPE!