Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Classic UFC Thread

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think Tra Telligman was Lions Den too and while not being that good of a fighter, he has that Igor upset in Pride. When he would lose though, he would lose viciously. That Sylvia KO of him was nasty as hell. The Rizzo fights were awesome iirc though.

Vernon White is like the fighter with the worst record I kind of mark for. Probably because of his appearance on Raw in 97.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
White had one of my favorite Liddell fights back in the bulldozing days.

Fuck I didn't know Paul Varleans died of COVID. Goddamn it. I'm sorry Polar Bear.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Coleman vs Tank should've gotten booked as a superfight and not trusted to fate. Fuck.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Severn handled Tank pretty well so I could see Coleman really putting a whooping on him if he gets the early takedown and top control. Coleman's striking is much worse than Frye so I can't imagine him trying to brawl with Tank like Don did.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Tank would've gotten wrecked and it probably would go way long. But putting them both in the tournament and just trusting it would end with them was so stupid. That show is a mess.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Couture taking out Ludvig Borga has always sorta hurt. I was a big fan growing up.

Yeah there's the rise of Vitor and my dude Mark Kerr and everything but Dan Bobish is the shit.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Beck and Blatnick are a perfect announce team. I just wish DC was around to be with them.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
So I got Fightpass exclusively for the old shows, the "human cockfighting" era pre-Zuffa. Going through them from the beginning is a blast. After not seeing these for years I remembered why I got into MMA in the first place, even the shitty stuff. They're much easier watches to me than a lot of the current shows, but that could be just my fatigue from the overexposure. That or not enough Paul Vareleans.

RIP Pat Smith
My daughter watched something with ninjas and can't/couldn't stop talking about them. I was so tempted to show her this fight and talk about how good ninjitsu works in a real fight. But there's only so much unconstrained violence you can show six year olds.

I always loved Remco Pardoel. The absolute worst interview, I can't say in history but certainly at that event. The announcer expecting that Orlando Weit will just brush him off and Pardoel just clobbers Weit with elbows.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not sure what this means but I find it interesting that this thread gets way more comments than any modern discussion.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I just love the times. A lot of these shows I've never seen in full, or haven't seen in years (Limewire and dialup only did so much). Seeing the evolution, how guys learned to adapt to styles instead of just being masers in the art of pitfighting. The crowd slowly going from people who I would expect to see cockfights to people who started getting the sport. The rule changes, even the ones I think were stupid. There's also the benefit of a MUCH smaller, rotating group of guys from all over the world instead of how bloated the current UFC seems.

After all this time, Maurice Smith beating Coleman for the title feels SO much more special than most of the title changes in the last ten years.

Valeyard

Reaction score
My daughter watched something with ninjas and can't/couldn't stop talking about them. I was so tempted to show her this fight and talk about how good ninjitsu works in a real fight. But there's only so much unconstrained violence you can show six year olds.

I always loved Remco Pardoel. The absolute worst interview, I can't say in history but certainly at that event. The announcer expecting that Orlando Weit will just brush him off and Pardoel just clobbers Weit with elbows.

I think that might be why my brother showed me the UFC in the first place. I was in karate class and he wanted to show how useless it was, so RIP Scott Morris and here's Royce Gracie taking out people with submissions. It was watching Bloodsport in real life and as much as it felt wrong to watch it much less say it, I got it. Better perspective.

Pat Smith could've been good. He developed each time out and I just liked watching him.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not sure what this means but I find it interesting that this thread gets way more comments than any modern discussion.
I feel like most active discussions in wrestling folder are nostalgia based too. And if it's not that, it's grousing about how the new stuff isn't as good as how it was back during the Monday Night Wars era.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Going to come off like a filthy casual (which I pretty much am) but there's simply too many cards as well. You look at some of these PPV main cards and they can be pretty dreary let alone a random Wednesday night Fight Night. I know they have to provide ESPN with content (in much the same way WWE has to) but it dilutes the product badly. Other factors as well but it just doesn't feel as worthwhile to me to invest 5-6 hours multiple times a month (and sometimes week) on a UFC card. I think last Saturday was the first time in a while I watched pretty much the entire thing.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Going to come off like a filthy casual (which I pretty much am) but there's simply too many cards as well. You look at some of these PPV main cards and they can be pretty dreary let alone a random Wednesday night Fight Night. I know they have to provide ESPN with content (in much the same way WWE has to) but it dilutes the product badly. Other factors as well but it just doesn't feel as worthwhile to me to invest 5-6 hours multiple times a month (and sometimes week) on a UFC card. I think last Saturday was the first time in a while I watched pretty much the entire thing.
That's why you have to check out the the MMA Schedule thread, brother; I try to only list the key fights for filthy casuals like yourself.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Mike Goldberg was just wrong.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Man the rise of Goldie and Rogan made these shows hard to watch in one sitting. I didn't know how good I had it on Limewire.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Favorite finish that isn't Scott Morris related.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Favorite finish that isn't Scott Morris related.
I watched many of the early UFCs on VHS sometime in the late 90s/early 2000s. Somehow the end of Maurice Smith/Coleman and that head kick got blended into one in my head and I was baffled when I re-watched Smith/Coleman a few years ago and that spot wasn't involved.

I was so so so upset to see Coleman lose to Smith. Then Smith beat Tank in the follow up PPV when Coleman couldn't compete. Tank was my MAN, but he came in that night with little prep so he was fat and winded quickly and quit on his feet. AUGH. Couture became my hero for being a wrestler who avenged Coleman's loss (in its own way) soon after.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Bas/Randleman is one of my favorite fights ever and I always am never sure who properly won but it's just so cool. Epitome of mixed martial arts. The heavyweight curse of the Dark Ages is way more fun than the Sylvia Curse later on.

Jeff Blatnik is incredible. Not hip enough for the just bleed generation though

Valeyard

Reaction score
He had good chemistry with everyone. After their first show together he made Goldie extremely tolerable and he seemed to have fun talking people like Bas who knew different aspects of mma beyond wrestling. He was the perfect representative for the sport and evolved with it better than any personality has the right to.

But seeing these in full in many cases has been so much fun. John Perretti is a great old school sleazy promoter. Hall of fame.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dan "The Beast" Severn is doing an autograph signing at a vintage toy store in South Portland and I'm going to miss it cause I'm out of state doing a show. Just as well since he would've choked me out after I told him he got eliminated in the first round by Chris Benoit in our Best Wrestler of 1996 Tournament.