Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sick card, bro: The GCW Thread

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Miraculously and quite frankly, somewhat inexplicably, The Collective, what was supposed to be the WrestleMania Week collection of indy shows put on by GCW, has been rescheduled. It's happening this weekend at the maximally socially distanced as possible, 25% capacity Marian County Fairgrounds in Indianapolis, Indiana. You can catch them all on FiteTV

The shows

Friday October 9th
Jimmy Lloyd's D-Generation F
: 12 PM EST
Southern Underground Pro: Swing of the Ax: 4 PM EST
Absolute Intense Wrestling: Thunder in Paradise Indianapolis: 8 PM EST (No Ropes Barbed Wire Match for the AIW Heavyweight Title: Matthew Justice (c) (With BILL ALFONSO!) Vs Joshua Bishop, THE KARATE MAN (Ethan Page) Vs Tom Lawlor)
GCW Presents For The Culture: 11:59 PM EST (featuring AR Fox Vs 2 Cold Scorpio, Pan Afrikan World Diaspora Championship Title Match: Trish Adora (c) Vs Suge D (Pineapple Pete ), AJ Gray Vs Dezmond Xavier)

Saturday October 10th
Effy's Big Gay Brunch
- 11 AM EST (featuring Cassandro Vs Sonny Kiss, Effy Vs Priscilla Kelly)
Glory Pro Wrestlling: Are Ya Wrestling, Son?: 3 PM EST (featuring IWTV Championship Title Match: Warhorse(c) Vs Zachary Wentz, ACH Vs AJ Gray)
Joey Janela's Spring Break 4- 7 PM EST (featuring Joey Janela Vs Ricky Morton, Alex Shelly Vs Tony Deppen, Matt Tremont's last match in GCW!, THE CLUSTERFUCK (agented by Ethan Page))
Freelance Wrestling: I Don't Think We're In Chicago Anymore: 11:59 PM EST (featuring Freelance Wrestling Title Match: Kylie Rae (c) Vs Josh Alexander)

Sunday October 11th
Black Label Pro: Threat Level Midnight Noon
- 12 PM EST (featuring Alex Shelly Vs Anthony Henry, Gaytanic Panic Vs The Stunt Doubles)
SHIMMER- 4 PM EST (featuring SHIMMER Title Match: Kimber Lee (c) Vs Nicole Savoy)
Josh Barnett's Bloodsport- 8 PM EST (all matches are no ropes, win by knockout or submission only. Featuring Jon Moxley Vs Chris Dickinson, Davey Boy Smith Jr Vs Josh Alexander, Tom Lawlor Vs Homicide)
Paradigm Pro Wrestling- 11:59 PM EST (death matches and UWFI style worked shoot matches)

Last edited:

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Obviously, I'm beyond excited for this. I have the bundle ordered on Fite, and ready to kick back and enjoy some amazing wrestling.

The shows I'm most excited about are For The Culture and Big Gay Brunch. AJ is a great dude, and I'm rooting hard for this to succeed for him. And any show that Effy runs is my jam.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If I didn't have a show in Rhode Island on Sunday, I'd consider buying the whole package. I've already purchased JJSB4.

On the fence about For The Culture. I got to see AR Fox Vs 2 Cold Scorpio at some point. Unfortunately, somehow they lined up with just as loaded as of a wrestling weekend as WrestleMania as there's going to be G1 shows on Saturday and Sunday (plus I'll probably still be playing catchup from the shows today through Thursday). BloodSport and Black Label Pro are shows I'll definitely try and catch on IWTV whenever they show up there in a few months.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
While allowing lower card guys who aren’t always on TV to get some outside gigs is a nice gesture, I feel like AEW letting their world champion work an indy show, during a pandemic no less, is asking for trouble.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Especially considering he's in the big advertised match at their Dynamite anniversary show on the Oct. 14. And he already had to pull out of the main even of both their 2nd ppv and their big summer special in July. So, you probably really want to try and have this match go as scheduled.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
While allowing lower card guys who aren’t always on TV to get some outside gigs is a nice gesture, I feel like AEW letting their world champion work an indy show, during a pandemic no less, is asking for trouble.
Not just a normal indy show where he can just fart through a match with an '80s/'90s wrestler either. It's a faux shoot show with higher than normal risk of injury.

I'm amazed AEW let Moxley reschedule his Bloodsport match. It's surprising they're letting undercard guys like Sonny Kiss and Santana & Ortiz work these shows let alone THEIR WORLD CHAMP. Janela is always gonna do GCW shows regardless. If he had to pick between AEW and GCW, I honestly kind of think he'd pick the latter. In fact, I think his AEW run has gotten a little better since they let him work more indy shows.

Last edited:

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Brett said on the most recent episode of the GCW Podcast (found on their Patreon) that he hopes to work with Moxley as much as possible going forward. He mentioned how Moxley doesn't care about money so he's going to take matches that he cares about, so if they do bring him in, it'll be few and far between.

I'd be more worried about Mox being there if it was another company running things (I'm looking at you Warrior Wrestling), but GCW has done an amazing job keeping things safe. Of course anything can happen, but they've taken every precaution to make sure things are as safe as possible.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Did Warrior Wrestling do something skeezy besides use garbage people like TJP and Tessa (and prominently feature Frank The Clown)? They look like they have the best/safest setup for any US wrestling show I've seen since the start of the pandemic.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Did Warrior Wrestling do something skeezy besides use garbage people like TJP and Tessa (and prominently feature Frank The Clown)? They look like they have the best/safest setup for any US wrestling show I've seen since the start of the pandemic.

Ben Carter got Covid after he worked there. Cage was held off AEW because he had a match against Carter there. Alex Zayne had to quarantine as well. There were a few other wrestlers who pulled out of other shows due to being there.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ah. I guess they didn't worry about social distancing backstage as much as they did for the show itself.

I can feel conflicted supporting independent wrestling during these strange and unprecedented times but since indy promoters are probably some of the LEAST trustworthy people out there. But if talent is willing to take the risk, I'm willing to support them and hope for the best (while expecting the worst).

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I kind of wish they'd at least do away with meet & greets/merch tables at these shows until pandemic is over. I see why they don't since that's how a lot of indy wrestlers make the majority of their money. I cringe when I see unmasked and/or undistanced fan photos on Twitter.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I've done a few M&G at the couple of shows I've been to. Most of the wrestlers had their mask on. Shane Mercer, I was the first person at his table after his match, and he didn't have his mask, but the ref came over to give it to him. Otherwise, pretty much everyone else has had it on.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score

they didn’t have a choice here. He’s allowed to work certain places and Bloodsport is something he’s been wanting to do.

barring any last minute changes, I should be at Spring Break and Bloodsport.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I'm going to be very surprised if the remaining members of Fear Factory don't file a suit on Robert Anthony at some point for that "FF" logo on his gear.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Miraculously and quite frankly, somewhat inexplicably, The Collective, what was supposed to be the WrestleMania Week collection of indy shows put on by GCW, has been rescheduled. It's happening this weekend at the maximally socially distanced as possible, 25% capacity Marian County Fairgrounds in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Hoo boy. Maybe holding an indy wrestling festival INDOORS in a red state at this time is NOT a great idea.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I hear how well paced these Collective shows are and of course, I order the one that is almost five hours long lmao

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I hear how well paced these Collective shows are and of course, I order the one that is almost five hours long lmao

Every showhas been around 2:15-2:30. Very well paced. The only long show should be Spring Break, since it's really the main event show. At over 4:30 hours, while it was long, it still had a good pace to it. I've basically been watching wrestling since 10:30am Friday, so I was tired by SB, butI still didn't mind the length.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Pacing of the show felt odd too. They were definitely spent by the time of the main event (and don’t get me started on how gross it was to have a death match crowd brawl in this environment!) but I also understand production wise, you got to put the death match at the end. Even if, and this is no disrespect to Tremont who I love, it felt like 4th or 5th biggest match on the show (although it was probably most important to GCW specific storyline).

Jonathan Gresham/Lee Moriarty, Alex Shelly/Tony Deppen and Joey Janela/Ricky Morton are all worth seeking out.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Those 3 matches you mentioned were outstanding. The Lee/Gresham matches was barely my MOTN over Tony/Alex. Tony getting the pin, and when it finally hit him that he beat his idol Alex Shelley, you could see in his face that he was about to break down, so he quickly got to the back. So much emotion.

I loved how wild the Clusterfuck was. It had great action, and there was tons of story in a battle royal, which is impressive. Calvin Tankman continued to look like a star, 44OH are the best heels in the industry right now, Second Gear Crew are the biggest faces.

The pop Orange got, there is no way anyone can ever say he isn’t over. That place was 25% full and it sounded like a full sized arena that’s sold out.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hey. There was no way we could have known an indoor wrestling festival in a state with spiking infection rates was a bad idea.