Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Films of Quentin Tarantino

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: Learning today that his script The Hateful Eight leaked after he gave it to a small circle of actors, Quentin Tarantino tells me that he’s so upset that he has decided that he will not direct that film next. So basically that means the conversation that will be circulating around town following this story with Tarantino goes from an ensemble Western to a whodunit. As in, which actor or their reps leaked the script that, as a result, is going on the shelf — literally a bookstore shelf, because Tarantino tells me he will publish it first and maybe revisit the prospect of a movie in the next five years.

“I’m very, very depressed,” Tarantino said. “I finished a script, a first draft, and I didn’t mean to shoot it until next winter, a year from now. I gave it to six people, and apparently it’s gotten out today.” He learned that when his longtime agent Mike Simpson began getting phone calls from agents looking to pitch their clients for roles in the ensemble Western.

tSo who could have done this? “I gave it to one of the producers on Django Unchained, Reggie Hudlin, and he let an agent come to his house and read it,” Tarantino said. “That’s a betrayal, but not crippling because the agent didn’t end up with the script. There is an ugly maliciousness to the rest of it. I gave it to three actors: Michael Madsen, Bruce Dern, Tim Roth. The one I know didn’t do this is Tim Roth. One of the others let their agent read it, and that agent has now passed it on to everyone in Hollywood. I don’t know how these fucking agents work, but I’m not making this next. I’m going to publish it, and that’s it for now. I give it out to six people, and if I can’t trust them to that degree, then I have no desire to make it. I’ll publish it. I’m done. I’ll move on to the next thing. I’ve got 10 more where that came from.”

brucedernTarantino told me he suspects the dispersal came from CAA, which reps Dern. I spoke to someone inside CAA I trust, and they vehemently denied they could have been the source. They noted that a problem is that Tarantino possibly dispersed the script himself, without a watermark that usually prevents someone from secretly dispersing the screenplay. Because of that, this is an unsolvable breach. It would be difficult to prove anyway, because if an agent asked an assistant to copy a script, and that assistant shared it with peers at other agencies, and it suddenly found its way to a blogger, the agent would not even know they’d unwittingly put the screenplay into circulation.

This is an odd story. Usually when a guy like me gets the call from a major director like Tarantino and walks away with a seismic story like this, it’s a good day. I must admit, I spent most of the phone call trying to talk Tarantino out of dumping the project. I want to see the movie, and I truly want to see the 77-year-old Dern get another chance to shine in a killer lead role after his brilliant turn in Nebraska. Tarantino said that he loves Dern, and likely will write him a big role in the film he’ll do instead. He would not divulge any details, even the genre of this other project. Given what happened here, who can blame Tarantino?

The filmmaker acknowledges that this is mostly about feeling betrayed, because he does not have an aversion to the inevitable blogger evaluation of his screenplays. He just cannot believe it’s going to happen this early in the process, when he has just begun talking to Harvey Weinstein about how they’re going to make it.

“I am not talking out of both sides of my mouth, because I do like the fact that everyone eventually posts it, gets it and reviews it on the net,” Tarantino said. “Frankly, I wouldn’t want it any other way. I like the fact that people like my shit, and that they go out of their way to find it and read it. But I gave it to six motherfucking people! Starting this week, I’ll be setting meetings with publishers.”

After more of my attempt to persuade him to let things die down — he made a mission movie in Inglourious Basterds and a Western-style film in Django Unchained, so who wouldn’t want to see him tackle a true ensemble Western? — Tarantino allowed that: “I could totally change my mind; I own the fucking thing. But I can tell you, it’s not going to be the next thing I do. It’s my baby, and if the muse calls me later to do it, we’ll do it. I was thinking about the idea of maybe publishing it before I made it, but now that deal happens for sure, and I’m not doing it next.”

The other script was one he had on his mind lately, so it might not take that long. “The idea was, I was going to write two scripts,” he said. “I wasn’t going to shoot the Western until next winter, and I have been full of piss and vinegar about the other one. So now I’ll do that one.”

He hopes that this might cause reps and actors to be more discreet. When I broke news of the script’s title, I said I’d heard that the actors it went to included Dern, and Christoph Waltz. I was wrong about the latter. Instead it was Madsen, star of Reservoir Dogs and the Kill Bill films, and Pulp Fiction star Roth.

“I hadn’t given it to Christoph, I haven’t given it to Sam Jackson,” he said. “I gave it to three motherfucking actors. We met in a place, and I put it in their hands. Reggie Hudlin’s agent never had a copy. It’s got to be either the agents of Dern or Madsen. Please name names.”

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/quentin-tarantino-hateful-eight-leak-novel/

God dammit Bruce Dern. I doubt it was Michael F'n Madsen because Madsen isn't turning down working for Quentin, and he sure as hell isn't waiting for script approval from his agent with some of the crap he's in. His agent probably says, "Are they paying you? Good, go do it!" The guy was in 10 movies last year!! Did anyone see any of them?

This one looks awesome

SierraMadreGunfight.jpg

Anyway, discuss all things Tarantino in this thread

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
Django was bad so I'm going to be feeling trepidatious about whatever the next one ends up being

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I've said it before, and I stand by it, Jackie Brown is not only my favorite of his movies, but in my opinion, his best.

He's one of the few directors whose work I can watch over and over and never get bored with.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
My favorite changes constantly. It was Jackie Brown for a while. Then it went back to Pulp. Then it was Vol. II. Then it went back to Pulp. Then it was Basterds. I might be all the way back at Reservoir Dogs now, I don't know.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not saying it's near his best, but Death Proof is severely underrated.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Kurt Russell makes that movie better than it has any right to be. I like the movie, but the long dialogue scenes really bring it to a screeching halt.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yeah, long scenes of dialogue is every Tarantino movie ever. I don't understand the complaint.

I go back and forth on my favorite a lot too. For a long time it was Kill Bill Vol. 1 then it was Pulp Fiction then it was Basterds then it went back to Pulp. I honestly don't know what it is anymore.

I liked Django a lot but I think it was probably one of his weaker films. In the bottom 3 for sure. With that being said, there is no such thing as a bad Tarantino flick.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I think my problem with the long scenes of dialogue in Death Proof was that there was more than 1. His movies are more dialogue driven, and he tends to have that one scene of discussion, like the opening to RD, or the diner scene in Pulp Fiction, but it was like he made 2 movies, each with one of those scenes, and put them together to make 1 movie.

I agree with there being no bad QT movie. Even his worst movies are better than most directors best movies.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
I liked Death Proof. It pretty much is just two action scenes surrounded by a ton of QT dialogue, tension building and atmosphere though, so it's definitely not for everyone. Especially paired with Planet Terror, I can see why people thought it was boring.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not saying they were talky because Tarantino was legally obligated to make dialogue-heavy pictures, I'm saying they were overly talky to juxtapose the violent killing spree which then juxtaposes the spectacularly abrupt ending. It's perfect timing.

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
Death Proof rules and would be the best Tarantino movie if Inglorious Basterds didn't exist. Complaining about the lengthy dialogue scenes in that movie is like, I don't know, complaining about Jimmy Stewart being creepy and weird in Vertigo.

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
Detective Ventriloquist said:
I think my problem with the long scenes of dialogue in Death Proof was that there was more than 1. His movies are more dialogue driven, and he tends to have that one scene of discussion, like the opening to RD, or the diner scene in Pulp Fiction, but it was like he made 2 movies, each with one of those scenes, and put them together to make 1 movie.

Pulp Fiction has like four or five really long dialogue scenes. Maybe more, actually. That movie is mostly just people talking for two and a half hours.

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
Controversial Suggestion: The reason people who like all the other Tarantino movies don't like Death Proof is that it's all women talking to each other

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
What do you think his casting couch routine consists of?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48a6ZS7jJQ0

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
QT is making the podcast rounds and is on WTF and Rogan if anyone can tolerate him yammering for over an hour.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was wondering what the eff he was promoting and now I read it's a novelization of Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. QT, you (somewhat) lovable weirdo.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's so rewatchable too. I have it second behind Jackie Brown, but I find new things to admire about the movie every time I watch it.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Given that Tarantino had previously gone on about how he was going to retire from filmmaking after his 10th film and now he's saying may just go ahead and stop after his ninth, I wonder if he's experiencing writer's block on a new film. Of course, going out on OUATIH is a helluva way to go, but from a personal standpoint I would love to have another work from a guy who just made the best thing he's ever done nearly 30 years into his professional career.