Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Final Fantasy Series

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
Got past the train but I didn't like Chapter 13. It seemed to go on forever.
I didn't bother to stealth it. Ravus did a number on my party. I wish I could command them to stay back.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Chapter 13 almost universally hated - the magic death ring is a damn disaster.

Yeah - Ravus was a tough boss.

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
Oh and something really bothered me...
After Luna dies and Ignis loses his vision, Noct is sulking on the train. Gladious tells him to snap out of it. Dude he just lost his finance, give him some time. Also, I hate waiting for Ignis after he goes blind.

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
Finished it.
Old Noct looks like Straight Edge CM Punk. I wish the final battle would have lasted longer. I think they wanted to make it epic with all the flying but it came out flat.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Guys....I just can't get into this game. Did anyone else have similar trouble?

I'm not that far into the game (Chapter 5) but I feel like I'm just wondering around trying to figure out what I'm doing. I remember heading to the crater with Titan and thinking "Why the hell am I here again? Why the hell did he lead me here?" Half the time I have no idea what's going on.

All the side quests suck. They're all fetch quests. So I ignore them.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
The funny thing is... it was so hated that they are releasing a patch next week that changes the whole chapter.

It got better as it went along but those corridors at the beginning when you just had the ring... brutal.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damaramu said:

I'm not that far into the game (Chapter 5) but I feel like I'm just wondering around trying to figure out what I'm doing. I remember heading to the crater with Titan and thinking "Why the hell am I here again? Why the hell did he lead me here?" Half the time I have no idea what's going on.

I'm just completely turned off the Final Fantasy franchise right now. It has been lousy for awhile. It used to be my favourite franchise back in the SNES/PS1 days, but I didn't even bother with the most recent one. I'm not optimistic about the remake of 7 either.

I had more fun playing Trails of Cold Steel I & II than I had playing pretty much any FF game since IX.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kahran Ramsus said:
Damaramu said:

I'm just completely turned off the Final Fantasy franchise right now. It has been lousy for awhile. It used to be my favourite franchise back in the SNES/PS1 days, but I didn't even bother with the most recent one. I'm not optimistic about the remake of 7 either.

I had more fun playing Trails of Cold Steel I & II than I had playing pretty much any FF game since IX.

FF X was the last one I played before this so I'm with you.

Unfortunately I guess turn based RPGs are a thing of the past, at least in the mainstream.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damaramu said:
Kahran Ramsus said:
Damaramu said:

Unfortunately I guess turn based RPGs are a thing of the past, at least in the mainstream.

Persona 5. I don't remember if you have a PS3 or PS4, but if you do, that's the turn based JRPG that you're looking for.

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
Damaramu said:

I never played XII but in my opinion, FF X was the last good Final Fantasy. 13 had too much hand holding and cut scenes and 13-2 was alright.

I realized my biggest grip with XV is all the winding roads in the open world. It's difficult to get anywhere because there isn't a direct way to get there, Also, the
air Regalia sucks. I crashed it even though I hit the land button.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
Thrasher said:
Damaramu said:

I never played XII but in my opinion, FF X was the last good Final Fantasy. 13 had too much hand holding and cut scenes and 13-2 was alright.

I realized my biggest grip with XV is all the winding roads in the open world. It's difficult to get anywhere because there isn't a direct way to get there, Also, the
air Regalia sucks. I crashed it even though I hit the land button.

I'm gonna give the 12 remake a chance, but I've tried time and time again over the past decade to get into 12, and the muddy graphics and story are a deal breaker. 13 was a decent enough game, and I LOVE 13-2, except for the clock puzzles.

Regarding your spoiler:
The flying Regalia makes it a little faster to get to your destination, (in the event that the game won't let you fast travel) but the landing is such a chore and so touchy, I would rather drive.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
fazzle said:
Damaramu said:
Kahran Ramsus said:
Damaramu said:

Persona 5. I don't remember if you have a PS3 or PS4, but if you do, that's the turn based JRPG that you're looking for.

Not out yet in North America, but I'm all over it come April. I LOVED Persona 3 and 4.

If you are fine with portable games, Bravely Default and Second are old school Final Fantasy games in all but name.

Plus, Trails of Cold Steel like I mentioned in a previous post. The first two are PS3, the third that comes out this year in Japan (probably 2019 here based on how long it took to translate the other two) is PS4. It takes the story and world of Valkyria Chronicles, the battle system of Final Fantasy X (with a tad of Suikoden III thrown in), and the social aspects of Persona to craft a very fun turn-based RPG. Its predecessor Trails in the Sky is available on Steam, but it was a PSP game so it is more primitive in terms of graphics, but still a good game.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm PROBABLY getting P5 on the 5th when it comes out, however there is one big red flag that might keep me from getting it. Supposedly the Japanese version doesn't allow you to use shareplay, and that's gonna be how I'm planning on playing it with a friend.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Killed the Adamantoise today. Took a little short of an hour. Now to max out Survival and Cooking, both at about 9.5, and the Platinum will pop.

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
What level were you when you did it? I heard it isn't hard but it is time consuming, hence the hour you spent on it.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
87. Yes, it's not a hard fight and not nearly as hard as the 5th legendary hunt. It's just insanely time consuming and a bit tedious. Oddly, not one Summon showed up.

I wandered the map on foot for a couple of hours last night and could barely get the Survivor meter to rise. I have a feeling this is going to be a pain to finish.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Played for two hours earlier and got the Survival meter at about 9.75 and the damn thing WILL NOT MOVE no matter what I try.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mik said:
If you don't like it now, you never will. The beginning/middle are the best parts.

Too bad I have this weird neurosis where I have to finish a game when I start it, even if it sucks. Like seriously last time I quit a game I was all angsty and upset about it for a week. Don't laugh.

I just hate how it feels like I spend all my time on this game traveling somewhere. Seriously every mission requires me to drive halfway across the map or fast travel there which then results in a loading screen. And then when I arrive for a mission it takes fuck all of 5-10 minutes to complete. At least the sidequests do and a lot of the main story missions are short as hell.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Got the Platinum in 15 finally last weekend. I looked back and saw that I'm only missing 6 trophies from 13-2, so I'm running back through it now.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I beat the main story last night.

I liked the game play and I did like the game overall. I just had gripes about the execution.

I felt like things weren't well explained in the game.

Plus the way the story was executed kind of bugged me. In past FF games you are there for every big moment throughout the story.
In this one things just happened and you found out about it later on the radio. I know they wanted the story to be more about the guys but I felt a little left out and not as heroic.

Like:
You just find out later the emperor is dead or you find out later the empire killed the ice goddess. In past FF games that's something you would have been front and center for.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Replaying FF7 on PS4. The Platinum doesn't look too difficult to get. After playing it for about 12 hours at 3X speed, I don't know how I ever played it at normal speed.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
So yeah. Can I just say that FFXIV has way too much stuff to do? Seriously, I started up a new character in that game for certain reasons and after nearly completing all the RR stuff that I'm finally getting into HW stuff. I still haven't completed any of the raids from RR though. Been told you pretty much have to do those with being way over the iLv of the raid now.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah the game is huge. And don't worry HE has a gajillion things to do as well. I recently finished getting all the ponies from 2.0 but haven't started on the 3.0 birds yet.