Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Final Fantasy Series

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that XV came out tomorrow. Kotaku's review made me want to play it pretty badly, even though it was only mostly positive. I guess I will be picking this up then.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
X was hated? It was the last FF I played and I enjoyed it.

I did not like 8 and was "meh" on 9. My favorite is still 6.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Mik said:
I wasn't aware that XV came out tomorrow. Kotaku's review made me want to play it pretty badly, even though it was only mostly positive. I guess I will be picking this up then.

I heard a lot of people complaining about the ridiculous amount of real hours it takes to defeat the final boss.

I have never played a Final Fantasy game, bought a few but never got to them. A couple stores had the pre-order on Black Friday for $35 so I got it. We will see how it works out for me going in blindly.

muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
Edit: Wrong game.

I really liked 8, never understood how it rated so low.

Actually, I can, with the Junction system and the edginess of the main character, but other than that...

Conspiracy_Victim

Integral Poster
Reaction score
muzzington said:

Actually, I can, with the Junction system and the edginess of the main character, but other than that...

I REALLY wanted to like 8, but Squall's constant butthurt, Rinoa being the main heroine instead of Quistis (I'm hot for teacher) and just the overall "WTF" of a plot really just made it a "meh" for me. I even skipped 9 and waited for 10 to play another one, 8 was so disappointing to me. Then I played X-2. Woo boy. I had to take another break after that one.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Well - I played about 45 minutes so far. I think the combat system is more active, which is good because in XIII I was able to mostly autopilot and just change paradigms every once in awhile. This requires active blocking and attacking and seems like it will be more fun.

Graphics are pretty awesome. So far so good.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Conspiracy_Victim said:
muzzington said:

I REALLY wanted to like 8, but Squall's constant butthurt, Rinoa being the main heroine instead of Quistis (I'm hot for teacher) and just the overall "WTF" of a plot really just made it a "meh" for me. I even skipped 9 and waited for 10 to play another one, 8 was so disappointing to me. Then I played X-2. Woo boy. I had to take another break after that one.
Maybe if Rinoa had been remotely likeable, she would have been OK as the main heroine. Yeah, I loved me some Quistis.

I've tried twice to get through X-2 and can't bring myself to start chapter 5.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
JHawk said:
Conspiracy_Victim said:
muzzington said:

Maybe if Rinoa had been remotely likeable, she would have been OK as the main heroine. Yeah, I loved me some Quistis.

I've tried twice to get through X-2 and can't bring myself to start chapter 5.

I felt like the story got lazy at the end. "OH yeah. You all have the same backstory and you all knew each other."

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So what is this movie I need to watch before FF15 and where do I find it?

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Empty Fossil of the New Scene said:
Kingsglaive. Internet.

Like I have to watch it on my computer? *grumble* It's not on Netflix or anything like that?

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
http://www.kingsglaivefinalfantasyxv-movie.com/site/

They have different options how to buy and view it.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Dang. I didn't realize it was a companion. Best Buy just had the Blu-Ray for $10 and they gave you a $5 gift card for buying it. Could've lived with that but I don't think that's still going on.

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-12-07-final-fantasy-15s-story-is-being-patched

Interesting. I'm only on Chapter 3 so it shouldn't affect me now. I'll probably finish the game before they change it.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Takes me forever to finish games now that I have kids, but still trucking along with XV... on Chapter 5 of what I think is around 12 or so.

I am really loving it. The main quest dungeons are all pretty outstanding... they incorporated some of their work on Tomb Raider into the dungeons and it's really paying off. Lack of light/fog/distorted vision with some jump scares combined with classic FF dungeon crawling... I am really enjoying it.

Also doing the open world hunts in between dungeons is pretty cool. Final Fantasy VI soundtrack on repeat when I'm driving around. I am quite pleased.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
If they allowed for the FFIV Celtic Moon soundtrack, I would be amazed.

A Happy Medium

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wound up taking the $35 Amazon Prime deal on FFXV a week back and started playing in the last couple of days. So far, I think that the story is kind of dumb. However, I do already have an addiction to fishing and unlocking new recipes. Also, the fighting is fun although slightly chaotic. I'm early in the game and find that I don't even bother wasting hi potions on Prompto.

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
Yeah I think it's sad that I would rather be fishing than progressing the story. I think the world is way too big. You spend a bunch of time in your car, trying to finish quests. The clash of modern and medieval is just so weird to me. Also, why do half the characters have British accents?

A Happy Medium

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Or how about Dino with what I can gather they think is an accent from Yonkers or Brooklyn? I may want to go to Japanese voice acting for a bit with the English subtitles.

In the main story, I wound up finding those Kingly weapons with help from what I guess is some badass Auron type of guy. His name is Cory or Core? However, he dresses and is built like he's late to running his skateboard shop. I'm not at all impressed by this guy.

Captain of Outer Space

reaching for the sky just to surrender
Reaction score
Got FF VI off of Steam for a song. This game holds up so much better than VII, probably because it's never had a spinoff or a remake forced on it.

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
www.polygon.com/a/final-fantasy-7

This is a long oral history of FFVII. It's really good if you're into the development of the game.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I picked up World of Final Fantasy last week. I've enjoyed it so far and the cutesy characters are adorable, but I'm hoping the story picks up soon because so far it's just kind of there for me. Was happy to be able to get the Day One edition with the Japanese language DLC, though really that shouldn't be DLC that should just be on the disc, or free DLC for all.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
I decided to get into FFXIV awhile back because I met a good bunch of people and wanted to play with them. I figured "meh, this game may be Final Fantasy, but it'll be bite sized like other MMOs". No, no it is fucking not. Just completing the main story quest's Realm Reborn storyline is a true Final Fantasy experience. Also, there's so much to fucking do in the game. I mean, I turn around and I find I haven't even scratched something.

If FFXV is anything like that, I'm not touching the damn thing.

Molotov The Bear

Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark
Reaction score
Flik said:
I decided to get into FFXIV awhile back because I met a good bunch of people and wanted to play with them. I figured "meh, this game may be Final Fantasy, but it'll be bite sized like other MMOs". No, no it is fucking not. Just completing the main story quest's Realm Reborn storyline is a true Final Fantasy experience. Also, there's so much to fucking do in the game. I mean, I turn around and I find I haven't even scratched something.

If FFXV is anything like that, I'm not touching the damn thing.

I beat FFXV in 30-something hours, and that was with spending 15 hours off and on doing sidequest hunts to get enough money to keep buying potions because the fighting is ridiculous and your AI teammates will die constantly.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So I just started FF XV. Still in Chapter 1. I'm spending a bunch of time wandering around and trying to get the feel of things. I'm level 8. I thought I was doing okay then I ran into a giant scorpion that ate my lunch. I haven't been out at night much so I haven't really ran into any Daemons.

I really like it though.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
The ending, lol holy shit.

Man, the game really goes off the rails when you sail to Altissia.

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
I just got there. I'm fighting Leviathan now. I really don't like the layout of Altissa but it is gorgeous.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Thrasher said:
I just got there. I'm fighting Leviathan now. I really don't like the layout of Altissa but it is gorgeous.

Oh yeah, no doubt about how pretty it is.

Good luck with the train.