Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Pieter-Steph_du_Toit_SA_2018.JPG.jpeg

For shame, Kamala. For shaaaaaame.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
That is WORLD RENOWED Rugby player, Pieter-Steph du Toit! Anti Ancient Greece, Anti-Bowling & ANTI-RUGBY! Showing your true colors here.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Also noticed a distinct lack of Male Tennis Players... and no Annika Sorenstam?!?

Serena's fantastic but I feel like she's had longevity on her side. That's certainly impressive but I think Steffi Graf (22 Grand Slam Titles, 90% Win Rate at 278-32) and Martina Navratilova (18 Titles, 86% Win Rate at 306-49) could be in the discussion too so I don't know if Serena would run away with a GOAT of Female Tennis discussion.

There was a time when Venus was being touted as better before Serena really broke away in the mid-2000s.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Boxing really comes down to Muhammad Ali or Sugar Ray Robinson. Robinson's official record includes 19 losses because he stuck around too long. When Robinson lost to Randy Turpin Robinson was carrying a record of 129-1-2. That one loss was to LaMotta whom Robinson beat in four subsequent fights. Robinson also KO'd Turpin in the rematch. Eighteen of Robinson's losses were by decision. The one actual KO Robinson suffered was due to heat exhaustion.

Rating undefeated fighters is difficult. Without that defining fight against an equal opponent you don't really know how good a fighter really is. It's not that they're the unquestioned greatest because every athlete loses eventually. Undefeated records come from a bit of luck and circumstance added to the skill.

FWIW, ten undefeated boxers are in the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know people hate Mayweather but this is a bit much, especially Marciano.

Similar records but Marciano fought better opponents. Where Marciano kod the past prime Louis, Mayweather barely decisioned the similarly faded De La Hoya. And Mayweather got a gift in the first Castillo fight.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Idk bro, I agree he might have been gifted that decision but he still fought the best of the best across multiple weight classes for like a decade, maybe a little longer. He shutout almost all of them. Marciano’s record was mostly cans, and the elite of his era paled in comparison to future eras.

I agree with Al that Ali And Robinson are usually the two in contention. But I’d pick Lennox Lewis to beat Ali and Prime Hagler to beat Robinson, and I swear I’m not being contrarian.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
When Lewis took his opponent seriously, he could compete with anyone ever. He took a nap when he didn't. But Ruddock, Holyfield, Tyson, Klitschko, Tua, Rahman, and Golota is a fantastic resume.

And I wouldn't doubt a prime Hagler vs anybody, including Robinson, either.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Lewis knocking out Golota in round 1 is as impressive a result as anyone has delivered in the heavyweight division. Golota looked like a serious threat coming off the Bowe fights and Lewis just destroyed him. Lewis against the all time heavyweights is interesting to me because Lewis was 6'5" and fought around 240 lbs. Fighters of Lewis' size who fought in the Ali era and prior usually weren't very good. Buster Mathis, Abe Simon, Buddy Baer. Ernie Terrell was 6'6" but weighed in at 212 when he fought Ali. I think if Evander Holyfield gave Lewis problems then Ali could handle Lewis. But I don't think Lewis winning would necessarily be a shock.

Beyond Ali, some of the great fighters of the heavyweight era were cruiserweights for all intents. Rocky Marciano never fought a title fight above 190. Dempsey's heaviest was 194, Tunney topped out at 192. Bob Fitzsimmons and Tommy Burns could've fought at super middleweight. Could they really step in at that size and fight Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder? Perhaps this is the side effect of fights being 12 rounds instead of 15 as well. Guys don't need to train for stamina as much.

Hagler vs. Robinson? Hagler was a natural middleweight so I wouldn't doubt it. Robinson started his career as a lightweight. Either fighter could win. I wouldn't bet on a knockout though!

Dandy

Reaction score
Batman got hit with the motherfucking Omega Sanction and then just worked his way back through time. Bane (who tested for PEDs after the fight [and was not hiding his PED use AT ALL]) broke Batman’s back, then Batman just trained harder; beat Shiva; then came back and beat New Batman. He also beat the alien piss out of Superman on several occasions.

Not on Kamala’s list.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There's no way in hell Kentucky, Wyoming and Idaho voted for LeBron. Pretty skeptical about Minnesota going with Serena and I voted for her on this thread.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Curveball answer from somebody who barely even has a casual interest in sports: Muhammad Ali.

Olympic gold medalist. Only 3-time lineal heavyweight champion. A professional record of 56-5 over 21 years, 37 of those wins by KO. 4-time WBA Heavyweight champion. 2-time WBC Heavyweight champion. 2-time National Golden Gloves champion.

Ali literally forged the template for every major professional fighter after him. He could talk, he could fight, he could use his fame for positive political gain, and he is still remembered to this day in every corner of the world for what he did best.

A lot of the other choices defined their respective sports as the best players, but Ali is the only one who transcended his while also actively being the best at it.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I'll toss Dan Hodge into the mix, but he really belongs in the best UFC prospect before MMA was a $$$$ sport list.

At Perry High School in Oklahoma, Hodge won the 165-pound title at the state tournament in 1951. As a collegiate wrestler for the University of Oklahoma, Hodge was undefeated at 46–0, with 36 pins and reportedly was never taken off his feet during his collegiate career. He was a three-time Big Seven conference champ at 177 pounds (1955–1957), and won the 177-pound title at the NCAA championships those same three years, pinning all three of his finals opponents. (Hodge is only one of two three-time NCAA Division I champs to have done that, the other being Oklahoma A&M's Earl McCready in 1928–1930.) He is the only amateur wrestler to be on the cover of Sports Illustrated as an amateur wrestler. He competed in two Olympic games.

Danny won the 1958 Chicago Golden Gloves at Heavyweight, then won a Chicago-NY Intercity bout in October, beating Charley Hood. He finished his amateur career with 17 wins, no losses and 12 KO's. Convinced by boxing manager Art Freeman that he was a better prospect than Rocky Marciano, Hodge decided to become a professional boxer rather than pursue the opportunity to compete as a boxer and a wrestler at the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome, Italy.[4] In his professional boxing debut, he scored a first-round knockout victory over Norm Jackson.[4] As a professional, he had a reported record of 8–2, although only 7 wins have been documented. He retired on July 9, 1959

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Prince Naseem doesn't seem unreasonable, based on what I've seen. Fedor, probably. Hodge is up there. Thomas Ian Nicholas. I'm firmly with Montana and Gretsky, half is bias half is fact.