Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Jim Cornette Zone

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Searched to see if we had a Cornette Megathread. Found threads on the Russo feud or other rants individually. Here's a place for some Corny fun that may not need its own thread or get buried elsewhere. Like his Twitter exchange with Chuck Taylor

https://twitter.com/SexyChuckieT/status/970848923538657280
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/971015209530941441
https://twitter.com/SexyChuckieT/status/971017775580893184

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
If you can't get on board with Chuck Taylor then fuck you.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Cornette on the recent Sami Callihan/Eddie Edwards bat incident from IMPACT:

https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/969693791828496387

https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/969971037810184199

https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/969977242267869184

https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/969979399843041281

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Cornette's podcast is pretty fun. If he's talking about any topic prior to 2005, it makes for an enjoyable listen.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I usually find him entertaining in some way. Crazy as hell. Don't agree with him on all. I love Chuck Taylor. Lean toward him on the Sami thing because something just seems sleazy about the guy. Don't remember if we posted anywhere here when he pulled his dick out at a Bruce Prichard live show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aDol-UtPHs

Laz

Reaction score
Nearly all of the talk about Sami is ignoring that Eddie moved the chair and that he's done similar spots throughout his entire career without incident.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Sami is known to be one of the safer death match wrestlers around. It was a freak accident and now everyone is freaking out over it. I love that Sami is keeping kafaybe though.

Cornette can still be a great on-air character, as he was for 2 minutes with Impact a few months back, and his stories, pre-2005 are great. But anything new, he's just "get off my lawn."

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cornette is a sad old man who doesn't get the business anymore and is pretty hypocritical in the stuff he shits on.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß said:
Chuck Taylor was mildly misogynistic to my friends while doing commentary at a Beyond show and for that, he should die.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß said:

I'm a long time fan (dating back to about 2000), and he's one of the more important wrestlers for me. I started to get into the indies around 2000 and I bought my first issue of PWI. I saw his name, and it stuck out to me because I always loved the Chuck Taylor Converse sneakers. Because of that, I started to follow his career and got big into the indies. Even when I fell out of it for a while in the mid 2000s, I still would check the news sites to see what he was up to.

He's one of the best guys to follow on Twitter.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
cobainwasmurdered said:
Cornette is a sad old man who doesn't get the business anymore and is pretty hypocritical in the stuff he shits on.

So I finally listened to the podcast about Sami/Edwards. I really enjoy the Cornette podcast, but I really go back to the podcast before Thanksgiving when he was feuding with either the Bucks or Joey Ryan. While I understood some of his points the second half of the podcast was talking to Fuller, who was talking about his father wrestling in I think the 30's or 40's for 45 minutes and I think that encapsulates JC.

I think Cornette could actually be a great agent still based on how he talked about the spots in the Sami/Eddie match. Maybe part of a booking committee with some people checking him. That said, his soapbox about how much money could still be made if there were territories is wrong on two levels. First, he was always a part of a hot act and was probably mostly in one of the four biggest territories all the time in the 80's. So while he and the Midnights made great money (and deservedly so), the money would not be there and he is speaking as a Top 5% earner so I think he has blind spots. Second, this thing called the Internet would make territories somewhat obsolete. Not that they would not earn some money at live events, but if I hear about this great talent in Florida, I am going to Google search him/her from Ohio and be caught up on their work and spend money with VOD/OTT services before they even sniff coming to my area.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß said:
Chuck Taylor was mildly misogynistic to my friends while doing commentary at a Beyond show and for that, he should die.

I'm sure they all deserved it. Chuck Taylor can do no wrong.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I love Corny, listen to everything he does, I've seen nearly all of his shoots etc. That being said... it's amusing that he speaks well of the territories making money for the guys when he came from Jerry Jarrett, who starved out his talent not named Jerry Lawler.
He spoke this week about something that kind of blew my fantasy booking mind: Rick Rubin was willing to pay Ric Flair 10 grand a month to work Knoxville once every 4 weeks for SMW. Corny was supposed to try and convince Flair that taking that cash+ whatever he could get from Japan would be better than jumping to the WWF. Corny knew Flair wanted to work a lot of dates and live the wrestler life though and would not take the offer. Flair did ask Corny to come to the WWF as a Kentucky Colonel and be his manager.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Hmmm... that Flair/Rubin story is interesting. Never heard that one. Bruce Prichard indicates Vince was a big fan of Corny and wanted him long before he got him and Corny really only joined WWF at the time to promote Smokey Mountain. He showed up to the show to do SMW stuff and Vince kinda just told him to go out there with Yokozuna.

Also, Corny will be the guest for WWE Photo Shoot on WWE Network this Monday. We'll see how that goes. I haven't watched that show yet so not sure the format or how interesting it can get with Cornette.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It’s a decent show. They just show a picture and then the wrestler talks about the moment. The ones with Miz and Cesaro were really good but even the Bischoff and Charlotte ones are good.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/willpauer/status/972130154607607808

https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/972307964412514304

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
It's a total shame he won't form another promotion in the south. I want to see if his ideas would legitimately draw in this era and who would work for him.

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
People have said Cornette's hypocritical of criticizing Omega when he did stuff like this in SMW, though I'm sure he'd probably point out neither himself nor the promotion's referee in a turtle costume were top stars or were supposed to be legitimate competition on the roster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZAmgF5VNPA

(Incidentally its the first footage I've ever actually seen of Hildebrand as Kowabunga; Did the gimmick better than Chris Champion at least)

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Valeyard said:
It's a total shame he won't form another promotion in the south. I want to see if his ideas would legitimately draw in this era and who would work for him.

Well SMW wasn't able to draw (aside from a couple big shows) so I doubt he could now either when his ideas are even more out of touch.

Laz

Reaction score
Corny would definitely defend his worse booking decisions by either deflecting blame or saying he kept the ME serious, but then others can say Omega is offered ME spots because HE DRAWS FUCKING MONEY.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
When Omega showed up at the ROH PPV last night, he got the biggest pop of the night, by far. There's a reason he's in the ME, no matter what Cornette wants to believe.

Laz

Reaction score
Any time I find myself siding with Corny, I remember he booked an ROH World title program around Dan Severn, completely ignoring that Severn doesn't mean shit to the world of pro wrestling.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
Čœrêÿ Łåżárüß said:
Any time I find myself siding with Corny, I remember he booked an ROH World title program around Dan Severn, completely ignoring that Severn doesn't mean shit to the world of pro wrestling.

Take that back; he was one of the longest reigning NWA champions.

d42e211ce99a1a9ae7b78785efe259940fc3b4f8b2ca0ba14282984db1ed0cb4d729bbdd43c16c70fde739d8b8a2a11a3df800e02084fcff8bb32d00834d5d89.jpeg

Valeyard

Reaction score
Indy scene needs someone running around in a bad suit and a tennis racket shouting his tweets at fans. Memes E. Cornette.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
The Valeyard said:
Indy scene needs someone running around in a bad suit and a tennis racket shouting his tweets at fans. Memes E. Cornette.

TAKE MY MONEY

Laz

Reaction score
I'm bringing this here so we don't derail the Twitter thread.
BorneAgain said:
The biggest point I'd disagree with Cornette on is his notion that because guys in PWG are doing wacky comedy that exposes the business that wrestling companies everywhere are negatively affected. To me wresting companies with different tones and approaches to the medium are in some ways an outgrowth of the different regional styles from the territory era. There's a kind of reality in Lucha Underground that works for them but differs entirely for something like ROH which in turn contrasts with something like TNA. Now staying consistent within one company makes complete sense, as having completely different tones and kayfabe realities within one show or roster completely kills suspension of disbelief. Its something WWE struggles with a lot as they shift from complete silliness in a gimmick match to serious competition to vague work shoot promos which make it unclear as to what's "real" or not.
Hell yes to all of this. Territories are dead, and the one that took the thrown was the "dull" power move one.

You know, that one where Corny was a major part of the booking team during the years they were closest to bankruptcy?

Valeyard

Reaction score
I imagine him sitting in a cellar, under a bare bulb, wearing a Heavenly Body cape and his face crusty from the frosting of the cake he shoved himself into. Pictures of Vince Russo on the wall with the eyes cut out, ticket stubs and programs from 1988 becoming a Pepe Silvia map of how the business has been ruined and who all is to blame. Every tweet verges from anger to senility, and every time he gets an alert and his Morodor tone goes off on his iPhone 2, he falls further and further off the scaffold of reality.