Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Jim Cornette Zone

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
He should just make them pay full price for the next Smokey Mountain show to show them who's boss.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
He should just make them pay full price for the next Smokey Mountain show to show them who's boss.
You do realize everypre-2000 wrestling promoter not named Vince went out of business?

If we break it down to $ then Corny is ahead of even ECW as they were underwater. Corny paid all his debt (And even turned down more $ from his money mark to keep things going).

To be fair, Fritz sold when the $ dried up, Watts took Crocketts $ (even if it ended up a smaller % of the actual deal), JCP was saved by Turner.... so only Verne lost millions of his actual wealth.
How'd USWA end up? Jarrett finally sold to Lawler at some point and Lawler tricked some putz into buying it for a bundle despite having been a decade since they drew money?

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
And that has no bearing on Cornette's status as a failed promoter trying to give shit to a successful promotion. He is literally the last guy to throw stones. Besides if he's a ratings-getter then he should start SMW back up.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cornette was a failure as a booker in ROH too. He intrinsically does not understand the modern wrestling fan or business. SMW was a perfectly good company but there have been many companies that drew better and more consistently than it over the decades.

I'm sure Corny is making decent money doing this dumb gimmick but he's really hurting his "legacy" as well which I know is something he cares about from past interviews and his obsession with wrestling history.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And that has no bearing on Cornette's status as a failed promoter trying to give shit to a successful promotion. He is literally the last guy to throw stones. Besides if he's a ratings-getter then he should start SMW back up.
The idea anyone but the most hardcore of hardcore internet fan would ever turn into see Jim Cornette in 2023 is so funny to me. Jeff was clearly trying to be nice to someone he respects and Cornette as always can't stop working his stupid gimmick.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Cornette was a failure as a booker in ROH too.
This cannot be understated. Corny's decisions in ROH led directly to the company's decrease in importance, quality, and revenue. His constant deflection of "that's what Sinclair wanted" or "I was part of a team" often ignore that his fingerprints were all over the product, and his handling of two of the company's top stars (Steen and Generico) has only grown worse in hindsight now that they're two of the most over talents in the largest company on the planet.

I agree with a lot of Corny's takes on what ails modern wrestling, I really do, but he pines for a day when talents were worse off and fans were more willing to give up on a product.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The idea anyone but the most hardcore of hardcore internet fan would ever turn into see Jim Cornette in 2023 is so funny to me.
TNA, MLW, and NWA all brought in Cornette as a straight shooting color commentator or authority figure in the late 2010s and they’re all catering pretty much exclusively to the most hardcore IWC fans. Cornette didn’t move the needle and in the case of NWA, told a hacky offensive street joke that was bad enough that InfoWars guest Billy Corgan had to fire him.

I’d say even among the IWC, Cornette is mostly irrelevant besides sparking a lot of stupid strawman arguments. He’s the most popular wrestling personality among people who no longer like wrestling but miss the days when they did.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
many of the takes that cornette has that are right or that i'm sympathetic to about todays product are stuff that numerous people other than him say including the actual promoters quite often. sometimes booking for the modern reality means you aren't able to do things the way you'd want.