Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Last Night in Soho

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
This looks really cool and up my alley. Edgar Wright is directing and it stars Thomasin McKenzie, Anya Taylor-Joy who I'm totally on board with, Matt Smith, and Terence Stamp.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
A big crowd of about 20-25 people at my showing today.

Very similar to Baby Driver in that it's so great visually (including the initial vision scene featured in the trailer) that it does overshadow the plot sometimes. I really liked it a lot. Thomasin McKenzie, Anya Taylor-Joy, Matt Smith, and Michael Ajao were all great. Some of the shots were incredible and the little touches (the face of Eloise in the window reflection of the car as Jack/Sandie ride it in comes to mind) added a lot visually and aesthetically.

For 2/3rds of the movie, this was fantastic and the
murder-mystery element/twist at the end
kind of felt very rushed and I'm still mixed whether I liked the
plot twist
or not (leaning towards liking it I think). Still a movie you should definitely see and I can't wait to get it on 4K DVD to see the visuals at home. 8/10

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I agree that visually, it was pretty stunning.

I didn't mind it overall, but I thought something was off about halfway through in terms of a flow.....it kinda dragged on at times within the end of the first act leading into the third without alot of plot being advanced somewhat. Maybe it was just not the pace I expected it to be. The last 30-40 minutes though were pretty good and a fun ride to the end, BUT I did have issue in that some things logically were not explained. The whys and hows of how things were going how they were, ultimately.

Also, I never recall a mainstream film that took me so long to figure out where this film was going, kind of where it was leading to. That's probably more of a good thing than bad though.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
"Last Night in Soho" is almost a great movie in that it has a whole lot of things I love (best soundtrack since "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" and I'm totally down for a mix of Polanski's "Repulsion" and a Giallo), but there's a twist in the third act that nearly took me out of it. I still enjoyed it (it's great to see an Argento reference in a movie) but I can't help but think this might be Edgar Wright's weakest film.