Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Legend of Zelda Series

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I will say, I felt some regret using some of my better weapons to beat the Guardian in the 'Major Test of Strength' shrine, but I was happy to be rewarded with some better weapons when it was over.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I tend to hold one or two really strong or rare weapons for boss fights but everything else I just use because weapons are plentiful. I've only gotten the rare sword from the Gannon amiibo once so at first I wasn't using it then finally said fuck and bust it out for bosses and guardians.

Molotov The Bear

Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark
Reaction score
You can go back and beat the Major Test guardians over and over again every time the Red Moon hits. The game makes you feel like weapons need to be hoarded but they really dont.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
BOTW is blowing my mind with how massive it is and with all of the side stuff that isn't boring at all.

Also: I just found out about the Wolf Link amiibo. This game may surpass Skyrim for me.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also the blood moon thing is such a simple genius in-game reason to explain enemy respawns. Love it!

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just got into the Korok Woods...
First, the Lost Woods were really well done. Definitely has the creepiness going for it, with the faces on the trees, fog, and laughing when you mess up the path.

Was surprised and psyched to find the Master Sword at the end of the path, but obviously I didn't think I was getting it just yet.

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I finally finished this today, having played a lot more sporadically the last few months because of life and stuff.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little disappointed about the lack of traditional dungeons, but I get that they might not necessarily fit with these game mechanics. The Divine Beasts, while mostly pretty easy, at least each had their own unique puzzles. Also, I probably should have realized this sooner, but I didn’t know that you could actually just march directly to Hyrule Castle and face Ganon without beating the Divine Beasts—though it’d likely be suicide, if only for all the Guardians along the way.

I finished with all 120 shrines, but only 188 Korok seeds. The fact that there are 712 more out there seems unfathomable. A lot of the shrine challenges blend together, but the one that stands as most memorable for me is surviving on Eventide Island, way down in the southeastern corner of the map. I beat it probably way earlier than I should have, with only 5 hearts, I think, but I’m not sure I would’ve enjoyed it nearly as much with 10+.

I found that I generally preferred not to use horses along the way, thinking I’d be much more likely to overlook key sights, treasures, and such. Being on foot also allows the flexibility of climbing, of course, without having to ditch a trained horse. It dawned on me late in the game, though, that I should definitely grab a horse and just try to ride it from one end of the map to the other for fun.

Overall, there are some nitpicks to be had, but this was as epic as I was hoping it would be.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish there was a way to transfer your save from the Wii U to the Switch. I'm interested in the DLC and am willing to re-buy the game on the Switch, but I'd rather not have to start from scratch since there's some sidequest stuff I haven't done yet.

BigD

New Poster Who'll Post A Lot
Reaction score
I just finished this game, but didn't complete many of the side quests. I unintentionally skipped the entire castle trying ti avoid guardians and using the updrift technique to scale the mountain/walls. I will probably go back to it and finish some side quests/explore more of the land as I pretty much did the entire game just going from tower to tower and completing nearby shrines.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I've been wondering for a while if they were going to do this. This is one of the few Zelda games where I've gotten basically to the end and then can't be bothered to finish it for whatever reason. I look forward to buying it, playing it for about 10 hours or so, and then never touching it again.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I stopped playing because it kept forcing me to lay my Wii Remote on a flat surface to recalibrate it. If the Switch version avoids that problem I will stick with it longer but that style of Zelda is going to be hard to go back to after BOTW.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I had forgotten the recalibration stuff.

Even the announcement video points out how its the older style but makes sure to point out some similar mechanics that BOTW used (like the stamina wheel).

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what their next plan is to fill the gaps in between main series games. All the 3D games have been re-made now, I think all that's left is to give the Oracle games the Link's Awakening treatment.

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Figure there's any chance Wind Waker HD becomes available on Switch at some point? I played it after its original GC release and always wanted to revisit when the HD version came out... just never had the system.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe, everything else on the Wii U has ended up on the Switch.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm about 3 hours into Skyward Sword HD and I'm still getting used to the controls. I'm using a pro controller and they're fine for what they are and I think using the right stick to swing the sword works just as well if not better than swinging the Wiimote did, but I've been using the right stick to adjust the camera in so many games for so long that its second nature at this point.

I'll have to give it a shot with the joycons later and see how that is.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I gave up on Skyward Sword HD right after I posted this.

My Switch tells me I've been playing Tears of the Kingdom for over 100 hours now, but I don't feel like I've accomplished anything in the game. I've only finished 2 of the Regional Phenomena and every time I see a YouTube video or short, everyone seems way further ahead of me in terms of hearts and how much they've levelled up their batteries.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I'm giving up on Tears now. About 250 hours played but apparently only about 67% complete. There are still parts of the game that I didn't get to that I've seen video clips of.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I gave up after a month. The whole thing was too complicated - trying to find stuff in the air, navigating the caves, the side quests with the towers, and I was terrible at building stuff. BOTW was a great fuck-around game - I had one main game and then I was constantly starting new games just to go through the process of collecting stuff and leveling up again because it was fun and satisfying. I never want to play the 5-hour prologue of TOTK again. But it's also rendered BOTW obsolete so that isn't as fun anymore either. Great technical achievement though.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My building skills are pretty terrible, too. I always had trouble building one of those hoverbikes that everyone was making and I never had enough Zoanite in my inventory to use autobuild effectively.