Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The LOL At Nu-Metal thread

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Saliva, Trapt, and Tantric is still scheduled to happen in Hermon, Maine on July 30th btw. Maybe I should go and try and rile up Trapt's MAGA chud frontman. But then again, imagine getting COVID-19 cause you wanted to piss off the frontman for Trapt.
If you can get me quality PPE, I'll back you up.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Gregory Iron has been in a big back and forth with the lead singer on Twitter. The lead singer admitted he had no idea what cerebral palsy was and said that Greg was milking his fake disease for money and sympathy. Greg then put out this shirt and angered the lead singer even more. I bought the shirt and I'm waiting for delivery

There's a thread for talking about the dude from Trapt. Just thought you should know.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Nonpoint dropped out of that nu metal festival after the singer from Powerman 5000 (who is Rob Zombie's younger brother if you didn't know) criticized it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Imagine getting COVID cause you wanted to see the singer for Staind at a drive in.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
It's funny to think the majority of these people were already in their 30s when the nu metal boom hit. I think Jonathan Davis was 30 (or just south of it) when Follow the Leader hit. Aaron Lewis as well once "It's Been Awhile" became a thing.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. I assumed Fred Durst was in his early-mid 20s during Bizkit's peak. Fact that he was in his thirties during that phase where he claimed he slept with Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and Halle Barry is embarrassing!

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
It's funny to think the majority of these people were already in their 30s when the nu metal boom hit. I think Jonathan Davis was 30 (or just south of it) when Follow the Leader hit. Aaron Lewis as well once "It's Been Awhile" became a thing.

I know he was about 23 when the Korn debut album came out. I remember reading interviews with him when he always talked about the age 27 being on his mind since many singers died at that age. He's 49 now. Fuck, I'm old. I've been listening to them for 26 years, 2/3 of my life.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tbf, on the other side of the angry white kid spectrum Eminem was like 32 when the Eminem Show came out. All these guys were most of our ages when they were wearing goofy clothes and being mad while saying goofy stuff over chug a chug riffs.

Also, while this band actually holds up and I still like a lot of their songs, Serj Tankien being like mid 30's when Toxicity came out and 53 years old now kind of trips me up.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

Speaking of Durst, a YouTuber I follow posted this video today which details why Durst and Limp Bizkit became such a big thing.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I may have mentioned this before, but a couple weeks ago, HDnet was showing a rather unusual Korn concert. There was no crowd, it was the middle or the night, and they were playing in a corn field for a couple hours.
I've thought about that concert quite a bit in the past 5 and 1/2 months. KoRn were really ahead of their time tbh.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nickelback also did a shitty cover of "The Devil Went Down To Georgia". I'm guessing this is karma for Charlie Daniels becoming a conservative dipshit the last 40 years of his life.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
sddefault.jpg

Don't mean to fat shame, but he's a waste of space, so fuck this asshole got fat as shit.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Today is the 20th Anniversary of Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water. I always thought they came out in '99 or at the very least, early in '00. It seems like 2001 was when Limp Bizkit nosedived but it may have been just beginning of their decline.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I remember there were about four or five kids in my 7th grade class expressing their disappointment with it. I think 2000/2001 was when Linkin Park and Slipknot eclipsed Korn and Limp Bizkit in the nu metal hierarchy.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I remember nu-metal was definitely going downhill by Fall of '01 with combination of 9/11 making all of these aggressive mooks seem dumb and easily ignorable plus the heralded return of actual rock music (Strokes, White Stripes, etc.). Only exceptions who still seemed just as popular in '02 were Linkin Park and P.O.D, who peaked in popularity that year cause I think they were vaguely inspiring due to being a Christian rock band. And they somehow became one of three nu-metal bands to get a SNL musical guest (along with Linkin Park and KoRn. Four if you want to count Kid Rock since he was probably in nu metal category first time he was on).

Also KoRn's SNL appearance came all the way in November 2005. I remember being confused as hell. SNL has a far from perfect record of booking good bands but they're usually pretty good about booking bands who are currently relevant!

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I guess it depends on if you think System Of A Down was a nu metal band since they were still pretty big throughout the decade. I don't think they are despite some nu metal type riffs. The music and lyrics were much more advanced than Nu-Metal. Like musically they were borrowing riffs from Black Metal bands like Emperor even. The lyrics also had so much more heart and importance behind them compared to:

[Verse 1]
It's a fucked up world and a fucked up place
Everybody's judged by their fucked up face
Fucked up dreams, fucked up life
A fucked up kid with a fucked up knife
Fucked up moms and fucked up dads
It's a fucked up a cop with a fucked up badge
Fucked up job with fucked up pay
And a fucked up boss, this a fucked up day
Fucked up press with fucked up lies
While Lethal's in the back with the fucked up eyes

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I could count SoaD like Kid Rock. They were nu-metal at the time but have transcended the label (or maybe descended in Kid Rock's case). I would say Linkin Park weren't nu-metal after the first two albums but those are the two albums of theirs most people remember.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yeah, I totally bought Chocolate Starfish the weekend it was released. I drove my house crazy listening to "Rollin'" and "My Generation" repeatedly. I also quite liked the song with Scott Weiland.

2001 was definitely the beginning of the end of nu metal with 2002 being the end of it. There were some breaths of those holding on in '03 and '04 even (anyone remember SKINDRED?) but yeah, I'd say '02 was when everyone jumped off the boat.

Anyone want a thread about the metalcore boom in the mid-2000s? I just want to start a thread talking about Killswitch Engage, Atreyu, From Autumn To Ashes, etc.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Prepare for some strongly worded, profane posts from @Laz
I'd go out of my way to praise the earlier Metalcore bands, as well as the likes of Converge and Dillinger Escape Plan.

2001 was definitely the beginning of the end of nu metal with 2002 being the end of it. There were some breaths of those holding on in '03 and '04 even (anyone remember SKINDRED?) but yeah, I'd say '02 was when everyone jumped off the boat.

I think "Chocolate Starfish", as well "Down With the Sickness" and the rise of bands like Drowning Pool and Saliva are the moments where I realized that Nu Metal was pretty much bullshit. About five years later, I started to get into more "real metal" (with a few exceptions, a lot of the New Wave of American Heavy Metal and more mainstream Metalcore bands never caught my interest), so looking back at shit like Hed PE and the like, I can't help but wonder why this had appeal in the first place-especially with me.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
I guess it depends on if you think System Of A Down was a nu metal band since they were still pretty big throughout the decade. I don't think they are despite some nu metal type riffs. The music and lyrics were much more advanced than Nu-Metal. Like musically they were borrowing riffs from Black Metal bands like Emperor even. The lyrics also had so much more heart and importance behind them compared to:

[Verse 1]
It's a fucked up world and a fucked up place
Everybody's judged by their fucked up face
Fucked up dreams, fucked up life
A fucked up kid with a fucked up knife
Fucked up moms and fucked up dads
It's a fucked up a cop with a fucked up badge
Fucked up job with fucked up pay
And a fucked up boss, this a fucked up day
Fucked up press with fucked up lies
While Lethal's in the back with the fucked up eyes
SOAD had the advantage of absurd humor that could actually be funny ("Pogostick" for example) and where always (outside of their drummer nowadays) unapologetically left wing in their politics.* The album "Toxicity" came out a week before 9/11, and still feels relevant as it tackles such themes as the industrial prison system and police brutality, while also predicting the fear and paranoia of a post 9/11 world. I wouldn't call it or them Nu Metal, but it does feel like the ultimate "the bubble has burst" album. After that and the events which followed, there's no going back.

*Outside of maybe One Minute Silence, were any of the Nu Metal bands politically liberal or left wing?

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I liked several nu metal-era bands around 2000/01. My favorites were Relative Ash, Slipknot, Workhorse Movement, Sevendust, Nonpoint, and I'm sure there's a few I'm forgetting. I don't listen to them anymore except on rare occasions. Like a couple months ago when I realized Relative Ash's album was 20 years ago and I played it, wondering if they had any openings at Del Boca Vista. But I'm not embarrassed that I liked them. It's just that my music tastes have changed; I liked what I liked more than half my lifetime ago.