Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Mandalorian

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mandalorian episode 1 absolutely ruled. Thats how you grab someone with a first episode. The cast is great too and I hope we see more of Werner Herzog, Carl Weathers, and Nick Nolte's weird goblin farmer. I was surprised at how much action they jammed in. I imagine not every episode will be this high octane, but I'm still very interested in the story and main character. Really loved the ending as well.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Really dug the first two episodes of The Mandalorian. Really like that they're trying to do kind of the Star Wars equivalent of a Western. Plus Werner Herzog as the baddie! And Bill Burr is gonna show up!?

And with all due respect to the Porgs, Baby Yoda is the cutest thing to ever exist in Star Wars Universe.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Loving the Mando. Wish they'd fix the Simpsons sooner as I'd like to start watching now as opposed to "early 2020."

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Watched the first episode of The Mandalorian and enjoyed it. I'll probably catch up this weekend. The first movie I watched was Bedknobs and Broomsticks which I watched a ton of as a kid. It's ok, but definitely on the lower tier of Disney movies.

I'm starting The Muppet Movie. I assume they have the rights to The Muppet Show. That seems to be a no-brainer for this service.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Boomer Kamala said:
Really dug the first two episodes of The Mandalorian. Really like that they're trying to do kind of the Star Wars equivalent of a Western. Plus Werner Herzog as the baddie! And Bill Burr is gonna show up!?

And with all due respect to the Porgs, Baby Yoda is the cutest thing to ever exist in Star Wars Universe.

So I haven't been able to find a source for this outside of Wikipedia but apparently Mandolorian is set after the ROTJ? Is this confirmed?

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Lord of The Curry said:
Boomer Kamala said:

So I haven't been able to find a source for this outside of Wikipedia but apparently Mandolorian is set after the ROTJ? Is this confirmed?

It's what I've heard. And episode 3 was just an enjoyable time. I'm liking this way more than I thought I would. I honestly think a 30-45ish minute running time is such a bonus. At an hour an episode the episodes would probably drag a little.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
As somebody who's never been big on the Star Wars stuff in general, I've been digging The Mandalorian episodes thus far. The quick pacing + run time really helps.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
I was going to start a separate thread for The Mandalorian but I don't have much else to say about it so far other than it's a really easy and enjoyable watch. They are keeping everything really simple and each episode feels like a self-contained story with some character development for The Mandalorian sprinkled in. It's obvious that he isn't a stereotypical roughneck bounty hunter and the little glimpses into his past are interesting.

If they haven't flooded the stores with Baby Yoda toys yet they are missing out. I kinda want a little plush one myself (although he just kinda does look like a little green Mogwai)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Mandalorian keeps getting better and better every episode.

This latest one was great. Really driving home that it's a modern sci-fi twist on an old Western wandering hero TV series. Plus Gina Carano kicking ass and Baby Yoda looking cute as hell sipping bone broth.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
such a great show. The classic "mercs defending homsteaders" is always great. Baby Yoda is appalling cute and I don't care one bit that he was designed by some kind of corporate algorithim to tug at my heart strings. I JUST WANT TO HELP DRIVE THE SHIP DAD!

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So they're tracking Baby Yoda because because of the midichlorians in his body, right? That's the only thing I can think of.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Gina Carano was great. I love how they are setting up these characters to return for a big time battle down the line.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And we still haven't seen Giancarlo Esposito and Bill Burr yet. Wonder if Bill's gonna use any homophobic slurs to Baby Yoda. I'm betting Werner Herzog (and the creepy Dr) will pop up again.

I was legit bummed to find out that Season 1 is already halfway over.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm still kind of shocked that bb yoda is a puppet. I legit thought he was just really good CGI. Good for them for going the classic fx route.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of practical effects which all look amazing. I'm hoping more big projects go that route because The Mandalorian shows how fantastic they can still look.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
I think you can safely skip this week's episode. There's some fun stuff with Amy Sedaris as a crusty hangar mechanic, but not much else. Honestly, it feels like it should have been the second episode, not the 5th.

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
While I loved the episode, I expect to see many people who won't. I think the way most TV shows have gone with these short 8-10 episode seasons compared to 20+ episodes like they were in the past has had one big negative consequence. When you do a series that consists of 20 episodes, you can easily have several of those for "filler" episodes that don't directly advance the plot, but do include things that will eventually matter to the overall plot. When you only have 8 episodes to tell a story, it's a bigger issue when you use 1-2 of those 8 for this, and most people just want plot advancement every week.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
I liked Mando being a dick to the wannabe bounty hunter, but the acting from everyone who wasn't Mando, Amy Sedaris or a puppet was pretty terrible and the "twist" you could see coming a mile away.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought it was fine. Definitely the weakest of the five, but still entertaining. I didn't like the new characters that much (even Amy Sedaris), but it moved fairly fast and I wasn't bored. The young guy's acting was Hayden Christensen esque though.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For sure the weakest and I agree the acting wasn't very good. If the other episodes hadn't been so strong it would have seemed better though I think.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I enjoyed the new episode, but agree with it being filler. I think it was done to just establish the connection to the original trilogy.

As an aside, anyone else watching The World According to Jeff Goldblum? I'm loving it. He's a great, quirky host. The show is a lot of fun.

Dandy

Reaction score
I think The Mandalorian deserves its own thread. I haven’t seen the latest ep and have been running a week or two behind. This thread gets bumped and I assume it is to discuss content, problems, news, or whatever but there is discussion about what went on in the latest episode of The Mandalorian. I have to hurry and back out and wait until I catch up before coming back to see what else is posted.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Finally watched last week's episode yesterday. I think it was definitely the weakest episode (the two rival bounty hunters seemed ripped out of a CW show or something-acting wise) but still pretty fun. You got to love a visit to Tattooine and Amy Sedaris as Baby Yoda's surrogate mother. I think people got to remember that this isn't meant to be prestige television, it's just a fun episodic TV series and sometimes you're going to have filler episodes.

Apparently today, we finally got motherhugging Bill Burr showing up on The Mandalorian.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This weeks episode was GREAT. The classic Mexican standoff didn't even feel hokey. Mando felt like a badass, cute Baby Yoda moments without going overboard, and they also revealed a little more of his past without too many details.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah this was one of the best of the series. I like Bill Burr as an actor way more than as a comedian.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Agreed that this was the best episode so far.

Of course, Bill Burr would let off the first swear bomb in Star Wars franchise history. That's just something I read on Facebook though. I feel like Han might have dropped some mild swears at some point?

I like that 3/5ths of the bad guys in the episode managed to survive. I am imagining/hoping they're setting up some big showdown in the last episodes with Mando facing off against all of the surviving antagonists