Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Marshall University Plane Crash - 50 Years Ago - 11/14/1970

Dandy

Reaction score
Tomorrow makes 50 years ago that Marshall University’s Southern Airways Flight 932 crashed as it was descending to its home airport on the way back from a game at East Carolina, killing all 75 passengers on board. As a resident of Huntington, WV; as an alumnus of Marshall University; and as a neighbor and friend to many that lost parents in the crash, this is a somber annual event but also one where we honor those 75 lives.

This thread will have lots of information; articles; videos; and hopefully discussion about the crash and how the communities rallied and rose again. My hopes are to educate you about the crash and the decades that followed, but also to get you to watch tomorrow’s game. Perhaps maybe even make you root for Marshall as a secondary team.

Ask me any questions you want to know that may not be answered in the articles I post. Feel free to post your own articles or videos.

To get started on the basics, here is the Wikipedia entry on the crash:

Reactions: SFH

Dandy

Reaction score
Tomorrow is the 50th anniversary to the day, and Marshall has a home game scheduled. The hopes for the last two years were that College Gameday would broadcast from here for the game. However, I don’t think the atmosphere would have matched the story.

The game is at noon EST on CBS Sports Network. Give it a watch if you can.

Dandy

Reaction score

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
5fb083bc52f08.image.jpg

The tribute uniforms were a nice touch (too bad they couldn't switch to black helmets). And hey, the team is really good! I just think it's a hard reference point because almost none of us were alive when the crash occurred.

Dandy

Reaction score
Oh, I was just funnin’ about. I was basically making fun of my thread falling flat.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A real sliding doors moment related to the Marshall plane crash and how it potentially impacted the sport of baseball as well.