Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Matrix 4

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

The John Wick hair is very distracting, but it looks way better than the third movie and looks like there will be a lot of action. But, it is a trailer so who knows. Hopefully not a lot of long scenes of people blathering at each other.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
NPH saying "triggered" almost took me out of the trailer but the rest of it was good and I liked the use of White Rabbit. I'm down.

And yeah, the John Wick look was pretty jarring too but I understand since he filmed both at the exact same time.

Dandy

Reaction score
I rewatched the original the other day. Going to watch the second and third over the next two weeks and then this when it drops.

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Caught this last night on HBO Max. It was good, for the most part... more reminiscent of Matrix 2 IMO in that it had some good scenes but on the whole kind of left me feeling pretty flat and blah at the end. I was kind of nodding out/getting restless around the 2 Hour mark, which wasn't a good thing either as the pacing was very draggy especially in the 2nd Half.

The movie's strongest parts are the first third with Neo being Thomas Anderson, a world-famous game designer trying to determine if his current reality is real whilst feeling like The Matrix may still be real and which is it, etc. It starts getting wonkier when Neo finally re-enters The Matrix (I did like the re-casting of Morpheus & Smith, played by Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Jonathan Groff respectively) and the film has some fun playing with the past movies but the pacing just comes to a halt in feeling like a poorly done re-hash of the 1st one for most of the middle movie before getting into the action climax in
the rescue of Trinity/getting her to return to The Matrix too
. Jessica Henwick as Bugs was enjoyable but felt like a secondary piece to get other characters into place rather than the true captain of the new ship.

Morpheus was done well and Groff tried his best with Smith, but it just wasn't the same without Hugo Weaving and it showed. NPH as The Analyst was solid but again felt like a re-hash of The Architect character, just acted better and with more scenes.

The action scenes were incredibly disappointing for a franchise built on them as their true calling card. The opening scene was good but the rest, including the climax, was just there for the most part. Whether it was due to shaky-cam moments, disjointed cutting, or simply having too many people in a very confined space (the train, the building with The Exiles come to mind) it just never landed right. The finale, in particular, was pretty disappointing as
Neo's "fighting" outside of the Agent Smith fight was just throwing up his hands to stop the bullets/push people away and the movie went back to the horrible dozens of people on-screen ala the Matrix 3 Agent Smith/Neo fight, which I've always hated) and the helicopters again posed no threat because Neo, again, just threw his hands up to stop the bullets/rockets
. Even in the 2nd & 3rd movies, the settings felt open and allowed for the action to feel more expansive and in this movie, it mostly felt boxed up and tight. Even the Dojo fight recalling the 1st movie felt like the viewer was being squeezed in.

6/10 - Mainly for that opening scene and first 3rd of the movie. NPH and Jessica Henwick were welcome additions and the acting overall was solid. The script just didn't know how to smoothly transition in the middle of the film and the action scenes were mostly forgettable, a travesty for such a franchise.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't love this. But it felt like a real movie with a creator that had something to say, but just kinda produced a bit of a mess. That feels really rare for Hollywood blockbusters with all the movies-by-committees we have now. If we had to get a fourth Matrix movie, I'm glad it was this and not, like, The Force Awakens.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
I didn't love this. But it felt like a real movie with a creator that had something to say, but just kinda produced a bit of a mess. That feels really rare for Hollywood blockbusters with all the movies-by-committees we have now. If we had to get a fourth Matrix movie, I'm glad it was this and not, like, The Force Awakens.
You can tell that Lana Wachowski actually has a vision, and I really like how among other things, the film is a commentary of the current Hollywood model of using and abusing IPs instead of trying new things, either original or with said properties. If there's any big problem I have with it, it's that one of the things the franchise is known for-great action scenes-are done horribly here. I know there's more to "The Matrix" can cool fights (something the director seems to be emphasizing), but here most of them are horribly shot and edited. Other than that, I think I like but don't love it, though I'd rather see a director take a big chance and possibly piss off her fanbase instead of just another sequel.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
these reviews have steered me away from getting back into the matrix, just gonna rewatch Point Break fam

It just didn’t need to exist at all.

Probably the 3rd best one. Which is still pretty bad.

The We Hate Movies podcast talks about not showing clips from better movies in a bad movie. When they showed scenes from the first Matrix, (a masterpiece) I just wished I was watching that instead.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I actually didn't hate it and liked the first hour, but yeah the action scenes were a big disappointment and I didn't like how Trinity was used.

Angle-plex

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Matrix is a movie I actually wouldn't mind a remake of. I think the ideas behind it are better than the execution and the CGI doesn't hold up well when watching the original.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought The Matrix held up almost perfectly when I rewatched it. The cgi didn't bother me at all and I still got goosebumps at the fights and action set pieces. It's not that far behind T2 as my favorite action movie.

And I can't imagine anyone but Keanu playing Neo. His aloofness works so well in the first movie.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
So this felt in some ways like Gremlins 2 in a way. It was self parodying, self depricating at itself, massively meta, etc. It had the same background too....WB had been begging Lana year after year to do this (they had no script, but the studio just wanted another sequel badly and kept hammering at the filmmakers for it). At some point after the yearly denial by Lana to do this, WB finally decided a few years ago that if she doesn't go with it, they will move on and find a different group to produce, write and direct. So she finally caved in and was able to do whatever she wanted, similar to how Joe Dante handled Gremlins 2. The way it came off was similar too....much zanier and comedic in tone than the original, lots of parodying the original film, I could go on and on.

I personally didn't mind the film at all, but the second hour of the film felt a bit.....aloof, and a bit disconnected in terms of the action sequences, and flow of the story. But much like the other films, it was more about the subtext of themes and deeper meanings to things beyond the surface, so in that way, this was a solid extension of the other films. Also, I think the only way one could maybe really fully engage in this sequel would be to binge on the other films beforehand. Otherwise, there were many points and references that might be lost without doing that. I did like that there was a clear vision and intention to really dig in on the nostalgia factor here, which I'm admittedly a total sucker for. Especially in that first half hour or so, it was full on homage to the original.

One other point, as the film progressed, I thought to myself, how in the fuck are they going to logically make this story full circle and I felt like it was accomplished, albeit very strangely.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It wasn't as bad as 3, but it felt uninspired and none of the fighting or action was memorable at all. Maybe Keanu can at least cut off the John Wick hair for this sequel.