Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Meltzer Thread

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://www.gofundme.com/f/larrymania-living-on-in-his-girls
GoFundMe to help out Larry Csonka's daughters.

I guess he did have some longterm health issues (heart problems, losing some toes due to diabetes)

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If I'm on 411 and browsing I'll still look at his reviews from time to time. I usually didn't agree with his star ratings, but he had a really easy to read and engaging writing style. Probably was reading him for around 10 years or more now. Terrible news.

RIP

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerwon/status/1271830324201140226
Damn. I guess Dave Meltzer is not a racist.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ebe3xShUcAAMDTT

why even include the last paragraph? That's some clueless fucking shit.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
On WOR the other day Dave heavily implied he talks to Moxley regularly. And probably Renee. Very clear Renee and Mox wanted her covid story out there.

Meltzer had basically a minute by minute breakdown of her diagnosis

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I imagine Mox can't be very happy with what's going on over there, especially since his wife got sick because of it. Moxley pulled himself from Dynamite this week because of it. He sounds like a stand up guy, and he cares more for his wife than anything in wrestling.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ebe3xShUcAAMDTT

why even include the last paragraph? That's some clueless fucking shit.

I wouldn't even say its clueless, its fucking classless and really makes Dave look like an idiot and shows some of his either bias or ignorance. Like Stat Guy Greg said on Cheap Heat Podcast this week, Sammy may be "growing", but hasn't "grown" from the 2016 remark when he still said shitty things about Sasha four days ago.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sasha was talking about her & Bayley were better than Le Sex Gods (I think it was after their NXT match a few Wednesday's ago), and Sammy posted a picture of HHH shaking hands with a long haired Ricochet asking why "he" was talking shit about Le Sex Gods.

Apparently that comment is what made people dig around to find the 2016 rape joke.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
The AEW take is bad and the Rey take is good.

SCU, BFs, and PP are all actively bad wrestlers, I can tolerate Bucks, Omega/Page, and Lucha Bros from time to time, and I really do like PnP and Jericho/Sammy, but they're nowhere near "greatest teams of all time" level. Still holding out on commenting on post-WWE FTR at this point.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Crockett had the Rock n Roll Express, Midnight Express, Road Warriors, Tully & Arn, Dusty/Nikita, the Freebirds, the Garvins, the Sheepherders, Tim Horner/Brad Armstrong, etc. In 1987 alone. LAX or Private Party above any of those teams except MAYBE Horner and Armstrong? C'mon MAN!

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Best Friends, SCU (maybe at one time before Daniels got so broken down, maybe), PP don't deserve to be mentioned in comparision to alltime great tag divisions/teams. FTR haven't proven themselves yet. I don't like the Bucks or Omega/Page although I've seen the Bucks have excellent matches. Sammy/Jericho are very entertaining.

LAX, Lucha Bros, and despite my personal opinion YB are the only teams who have had enough matches and bring something special to the table to be considered as great tag teams.

The best tag team company in AEW, even if it isn't currently active is Cody and Dustin by far.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Meltz getting raked over the tag team comment now. The Rey take is understandable imo

His argument seems to be that 80s wwf and nwa had great teams but many of them weren't allowed to have great matches (especially the wwf ones) while the teams today are allowed more freedom. Decent point I guess but yeah not buying the original take really

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
the rey take is fine although i don't think its "not even close". I mean Rey doesn't spam superkicks and only started doing canadian destroyers a year or two ago! The influence of guys like Shawn, Jeff Hardy, and a generalized misunderstanding of "Strong Style" shouldn't be ignored.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I actually think 1990 WCW was probably the apex of tag team wrestling. I agree with Strummer's statement about teams having more options and time now.

I'm a huge AEW fan, but I agree that while a lot of the teams are good, I'm not going to go so far to say this is the best tag division ever.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dave's gotten into a weird zone with praising AEW that he's criticized McMahon (and Bischoff in the '90s) for being in where the truth is never good enough. If he said AEW had the best tag team division of the 20 years, I'm sure Matt & Nick, Cody, et al would still be thrilled with the compliments and it wouldn't be THAT ludicrous/inaccurate claim. Dave, for some reason, really wants to overpush the greatness of AEW.

Maybe it's because the first promotion where the owners acknowledge his influence? Idk. Dave is a weird man.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
So... Meltzer is comparing an AEW show airing on Wednesdays to WWE's Smackdown, which airs on Fridays, also a notoriously bad day to air most TV and even then WWE's target demographics were the highest of any station on Friday too. Also that whole .29 = .39 sounds like some bad made up number corollary bullshit.