Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Meltzer Thread

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
I've thought about making a thread on Meltzer for awhile but after how bad the thread on his comments on peyton got I backed off. However he's been on a roll lately and I thought it'd be good for discussion.

I've always thought highly of Meltzer as a journalist, however since he's gotten on twitter he's turned into a pretty big troll and he's also been using it to really push certain pet myths of his:

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1061353165809889280

Dave has always insisted that Misawa and Jumbo did not work hard on house shows and smaller shows. People used to accept this when there wasn't as much footage available but there is now and it's been proven totally wrong.

There was also this stuff about HBK last week:

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1058879528938856448

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1058534299459215360

I'd agree Shawn can't touch Tanahashi but Ospreay? He's grown on me but he's not anywhere near that level. Shawn also was working with lower quality opponents quite often throughout his career and getting a lot out of them which isn't something I've seen Ospreay really do.

There's a lot more out there but I think that's enough for now I think.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1061363988749967360

Now he's including Kawada! Ah shit bro.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
I think its more that meltzer knows his fanbase hates WWE outside of a few guys and he caters to that viewpoiint to an extreme point. He also just doesn't "get" a lot of WWE stuff sometimes in a way that's weird. He doesn't understand large elements of the Miz's character and can't handle when Miz (the delusional heel let's remember) talks about Bryan or AJ working bingo halls.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I get some of the hate on Shawn Michaels but at the same time, Michaels had a lot of great years where he was having quality matches when given actual opponents to work with especially in the mid 90s when the selection was like 15% of what today can bust out almost weekly.

Admittedly I'm a mark for him but seeing some of his house show matches from 1993-1997 proves he'd not only go all out at "unaired" events but he had a lot of gems against guys he rarely fought on TV or at PPVs.

I feel like Meltzer in particular downgrades the work of HBK in part because he was a "face" of mainstream WWF/WWE in 2 different eras, both eras in which the product elsewhere was at an arguable peak of wrestling quality (early to mid 90s AJPW/NJPW and Indies/ROH in the early to mid 2000s). Yet you go by TV/PPV and Michaels is in a ton of highly rated/best of WWF/E match lists by the end of years.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1065001453499092992

I really like Omega/Ibushi. There's been some fantastic stuff. That said, the idea it's the best or one of the best storylines in wrestling history is a real step too far for me personally. It might not be for a lot of people because I've seen it from a lot of others. I think people pick and choose some of the older DDT stuff to fit a bigger cohesive narrative that wasn't always there though.

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1063972248330022912

Gargano/Black was not a bad match. But it was nothing like those styles. NOAH has some pretty big differences now from the others tbh. Gargano/Black had a lot of WWE storyline stuff in it that you'd never see in a BJPW Strong match.

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1063969347037650945

The All In crowd was cool (and I hope they had a great night! but aside from both being really loud and passionate, they're totally different. Dave does this a lot, trying to compare the Japanese audience and the NXT/Indie audience even when it doesn't work. Or to say the WWE ppv crowds are "mainstream" when it's at least half the same people who were at NXT the night before probably.

I'm being nitpicky with the second and third tweets a bit but the first I think is especially worth talking about. There are so many great long term wrestling feuds that going with Omega/Ibushi is hard to support.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Today WOR: Poor Alvarez (a wrestler) tried to talk about what Lance Storm said about working a spot and Hurricane Meltzer has to suck all the air out of the room with his traditional "Butttttetetteetetteteteeteteteteteteteteetteetetteetee" until Bryan gives up having a conversation and just let Dave ramble.

Melter's review of the meaningless tag match at the Survivor Series was also horrid radio full of a record number of pauses, ummms, and ahhhs, which dragged out the review far longer than anyone could possible care.

And I give him my money every month because I'm a dipshit.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
He gets my money every month because that archive is an invaluable historical resource.

I don't listen to any of the radio shows except B&V and I can't remember the last time I did that.

Staff member
Reaction score
The part where he compared himself to Oscar Robertson is INSANE

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh man that's fantastic. Half of Dave's tweets seem to be "If I'm so bad then why does so and so say I'm so great" or listing all his credits lately. It comes off really lame because he's just arguing with morons on twitter who don't care about that shit and it makes him sound really insecure.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
I think if you've watched all the wrestling he has, you'll go insane.

Edit: I figured it out. Dave has turned into one of those film critics that hates mainstream movies and thinks every art house movie is amazing.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Thought this was kind of interesting as it's a weight of how much should X-Factors impact a match (Card it takes place on, Audience size/hotness, etc.). Everybody raved about the Benoit/Malenko Hog Wild match in front of a biker heavy, dead crowd but put that in front of a slightly hotter crowd and would it hew closer to 4 and 1/2 to 5* instead?

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1065780127206858752

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The dementia is real.

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1066259113342955520

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
oh man I was coming in here to post that man. One of his dumbest tweets easily, without even getting into which guy was a better worker (the njpw guy in every case!). I love all 6 guys but that comparison doesn't work beyond the very basic idea that all were promoted as an important three in their promotion. But beyond that it falls apart so fast in a myriad of ways.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
All of the NJPW guys were worlds ahead of the WWE guys as complete packages. Seth/Mutoh is maybe the closest to being a reasonable comparison of similar talents and it still really isn't at all (and that's only part of the equation). The Dean/Chono comparison is hilariously bad but I think the Roman/Hashimoto one is the stupidest. I would kind of like to see a pic of Roman dressed like hashimoto though.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
Serious question: How come the Steiner Brothers aren't in the HOF? They've wrestled everywhere and won every championship.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I'm not really familiar with the voting and judging criteria of the Observer HOF. Is it fan voted? Meltzer's preference? People in the industry voting?

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Thrasher said:
Serious question: How come the Steiner Brothers aren't in the HOF? They've wrestled everywhere and won every championship.

Well, I typed this up thinking of the WWE Hal of Fame, not realizing I was in the Observer thead... Figure I will post this out of context post now anyway...

I couldn't find the video clip I was looking for but Scott Steiner has been pretty vocal in his hate and disdain of HHH. Not sure if it stems from his 2003-04 run but Steiner basically talked about HHH getting the bronze Flair statue made so he could keep it in his bedroom and has trashed HHH across the board in several interviews the past few years. I don't think he has trashed Vince, that I remember but I think in some of his rants he made allusions to Macho Man banging Stephanie too. Rick probably just saddled by association but Scott has created some public bad blood and also trashed the Hall of Fame in recent years.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Epic Reine said:
I'm not really familiar with the voting and judging criteria of the Observer HOF. Is it fan voted? Meltzer's preference? People in the industry voting?

It's voted on by people in the industry, I believe other reporters and such.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Scott is one of the very few people in wrestling who seemingly doesn't give a shit about his standing in WWE or his legacy in general. He's doing ok with his restaurant and seems to be self-aware of the numerous memes and parodies made from his promos over the last few years.

Also keep in mind that Scott hates Hogan with a passion. Not that it matters now because Hogan will probably never return in a prominent role in the company anytime soon but they keep trying to think of ways to ease him back in (Crown Jewel).