Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Metal Thread - Version 2

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
Guess I'm really out of the loop. Just found out Howard Jones had to resign from Killswitch Engage a year ago due to being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.

Laz

Reaction score
That's why? I remember hearing he left during a tour but never finding out the reason. I also heard rumors that it was because he had issues with other members and had enough of it.

That sucks, dude. I don't even like Killswitch Engage beyond a song or two, but anybody having to stop doing what they love because of disease sucks.

Unless it was Yngwie Malmsteen. Fuck him.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Not metal by any means but we dont have a CTDWAT anymore and there's no pop-rock folder. Having just recently released a new alhum, Three Days Grace's frontman left the band last week sighting the tried-and-true "non-life-threatening medical issues" reason that seems to be everyone's go-to when they leave a band these days. Maybe he discovered he's Diabetic (like KE's Howard Jones) but as far as I know, no other statement was been released.

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
Acid King, Pontiak, and Spirit Caravan. Check the backlogs of this very thread for probably 1000 other examples. Me and Gay Floyd are obsessed with stoner shit

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
I wouldn't say I'm obsessed (speaking of which, try The Obsessed Jaxxxson) with it, but I do enjoy it.

Reaction score
I'm currently listening to Reefer Sutherland by Bongripper and am enjoying it immensely. No vocals just awesome instruments.

Oh, and I checked out Acid King, Pontiak, Spirit Caravan as well as Obsessed. I watched Pontiak's live performance they did for some Seattle radio station and thought it was pretty cool. Pretty laid back. Different than what I was expecting. Obsessed was more rock than I was expecting but not bad. Can't remember much about Acid King and Spirit Caravan other than I remember liking Spirit Caravan from what I heard of theirs.

Laz

Reaction score
The new Suffocation is odd. It's obviously them, but that opening riff...it's just...I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong with it. Maybe it's the guitar tone, maybe it's just the picking of the lick, but something about it's off.

SUFFOCATION - As Grace Descends (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

EDIT: It starts off very Gary Holt-ish. Solid tune with some of the most straightforward drumming I've ever heard in a Suffocation tune. Not as great a song as "Surgery of Impalement" or "Abomination Reborn" (if we're talking their reformed years), and nowhere near as good as anything off of Effigy of the Forgotten or Pierced From Within, but it's definitely Suffocation, alright. A poppier Suffocation, but still Suffocation.

Kinda lame that Frank's only on for half the tour dates in support of the album with John Gallagher covering for the rest, though, but the man's choosing family over music, so it's forgiven.

Reaction score
Agent, I recommend the next time you do a lot of drugs you listen to The Great Barrier Reefer by Bongripper. It is a song that lasts an hour and 20 minutes.

Laz

Reaction score
AMERICA OF OBLIVION said:
Sounds like the same riff from Morbid Angel's "Dominate" with different distortion in a different key
Do you hear what I mean about the Gary Holt sound, though? Even the guitar tone sounds more like recent Exodus. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or a good thing, though.

Jaxxxson Mayhem said:
Agent, I recommend the next time you do a lot of drugs you listen to The Great Barrier Reefer by Bongripper. It is a song that lasts an hour and 20 minutes.
You make it sound like he's not perpetually on something, Cowboy.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Kamelot is coming back to America this fall, and they're bringing Delain and Eklipse. Never heard of Eklipse but FUCK YES KAMELOT IS COMING BACK!