Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Minor League Sports Bullshit and Miscellania thread

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Maine Red Claws are now the Maine Celtics.

As happy as I am that my state has our own Celtics (and awesome they got Mike Gorman to narrate the announcement), it is a bittersweet moment. I feel like Red Claws is a much funner, more distinct name.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Two months ago I eyed up tonight’s game in Lehigh Valley. Lower than capacity crowd, Memorial Day weekend, fireworks, perfect. So of course it’s 48 degrees and rain chased us from our seats after the first inning.

sfaJack

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Got in 3 of the 4 Memorial Weekend games I had planned. Arkansas Travelers, Mississippi Braves and this afternoon in Biloxi for the Shuckers.

Got monsooned/hailed out of the NW Arkansas Naturals on Thursday which is a real bummer but what can you do.

Back home tomorrow but not after a visit to Sugar Land since the Skeeters are now AAA.

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a former friend who played for the Shuckers that year they opened with 54 on the road. They'd only made it to AAA for a season before getting kicked back to AA. That long road stretch broke them and they gave up after the year.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
One of my best friends and old comedy producer buddy lives in Lansing area. We assumed that those shows were going to be in the concourse but they're actually going to have the stage on the field. That's an absolutely awful setup for comedy even if it was somebody great and not Rob Schneider!

alkeiper

Reaction score
I took a trip to Harrisburg last night for a AA game between the Senators (Nationals) and Reading Fightin’ Phils (duh). On the mound Cade Cavalli, first round pick and minor league strikeout leader. Batting for the Phils Jack Perkins, two professional plate appearances. Of course Perkins hits an opposite field home run. Baseball is weird.

sfaJack

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I found out this week that the Frisco Roughriders charge $24 for most of the tickets available in the former Dr Pepper Ballpark. That is an absurd price for AA baseball.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
GD. It's just $13 for seats behind the dugout for Portland Sea Dogs. I bought tickets to see a Somerset Patriots (Yankees Double A affiliate) game during my road trip in August and I expected it to be more expensive considering it's a NYC exurb and it was but still only $17 for seats behind the dugout.

Anything more than $20 for Double A seems unreasonable unless it's one of those All You Can Eat seats. And even then I think those top out around $25 here. Even then it's not really worth it cause I rarely buy more than $12 of non alcoholic concessions.

Last edited:

alkeiper

Reaction score
$21 for advance Frisco tickets, the most expensive I found nearby was $19 for Harrisburg Senators tickets. That may seem expensive but it doesn't take into account the mayflies you get to take home with you.

sfaJack

Integral Poster
Reaction score
$24 must be day of game price then which is when we were buying. Even still $21 seems steep especially since it only get you a seat--no food/drink coupons or even access to the lazy river in RF (unless it's Thursday or Sunday game).

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I went to a Lehigh Valley Phantoms game in 2017 (visiting a friend) and the ticket was like $20 and it included food and drink.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Minor league hockey in Portland, ME has been on a slow and steady but significant decline for the past 25 years. We had our AHL team get moved to GD Springfield, MA like literally a year or two after they begged for and got a $30 million arena renovation. Then we got a new team but downgraded to the ECHL. Attendance never really goes into four digits unless it's a weekend and there's some sort of wacky promotion. It seems like affiliating with the Bruins is a last ditch effort. If that doesn't raise interest, I don't think anything will.

Now all of Portland's minor league teams are affiliated with the Boston teams. Now we just need the NFL to start a minor league and stick the Patriots affiliate at Portland High's stadium!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Portland Sea Dogs have won 13 in a row and now have the best record in Double A. By gawd, we might get October late September baseball this year in Southern Maine.

(actually since season is ending two weeks later, maybe the Eastern League Championship will end in October)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Front page article of Maine Sunday Telegram Sunday sports section was on the pay issues in minor league baseball so I'm glad issue's getting some (small city) mainstream attention. No one's asking minor league players to get rich, just a living wage...or at least provide consistent housing. If you're playing professional baseball, you shouldn't have to cram 8 guys into a 2 bedroom apartment.

Unless maybe it's the Pecos League, which could be designated league for yahoos willing to play baseball for $50, a hot dog and a handshake.

alkeiper

Reaction score
People need to understand that for an elite athlete it's not baseball versus a real job. It's baseball versus football versus basketball versus et cetera.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And it's not like pro athletes are able to get side gigs to supplement the income during the season. It's an 80-100+ hours week type job. Yahoos think the game is only aspect of it but diet, training, video sessions all add up.

alkeiper

Reaction score
"They get jobs during the offseason!"

Yeah, those plentiful full time jobs that only require you to work from October/November to February. Unless of course the organization wants you to go to an instructional league. And you don't get paid for spring training. So if you're not a high draft pick you have to pay your own way. For lower income athletes baseball often is not an option. Then baseball shakes its head every Jackie Robinson Day and wonders where the african americans went. It's just lip service because the answer is obvious if you think about it for more than twelve seconds.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Interesting little look at life as a MILB broadcaster this season. It's weird that COVID protocols hasn't allowed broadcasters (in majors as well as minors) to go on the road until last few weeks.

alkeiper

Reaction score
I’m in Hudson Valley for a minor league game. Nine innings of no-hit baseball from the Jersey Shore Blueclaws and it’s going to extra innings tied at zero. Of course.