Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Minor League Sports Bullshit and Miscellania thread

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score

Follow up. A no-hitter is still item #1 on my baseball bucket list. The Jersey Shore Blueclaws (PHI) no-hit the Hudson Valley Renegades (NYY) for nine innings but with no score the game went into extra innings. Minor leagues use the same runner on second rule in extras. The Renegades broke up the no-hitter in the tenth with a single, but failed to score the runner. The Renegades had runners thrown out at home in both the 10th and 11th. Herbert Iser hit a triple for the Blueclaws in the 12th, the only extra base hit in the game.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

Pele was from before my time but he holds some prestige in my heart for being the titular star of an Atari game. IIRC Activison owns most of the major leagues licensing deals, so it was rare to have a "real" sports person on an Atari game. (Are there other examples?)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A federal court judge in the Northern District of California ruled that minor leaguers are year round employees of MLB.

Hope this another step towards all professional baseball players being paid a living wage.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Good news for minor league fans. We're getting our league names back!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I honestly barely even knew the league names had changed and since they were only gone for one season, I didn't even get a chance to miss them.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Good news for minor league fans. We're getting our league names back!

In addition to that...

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jeeessus. I was actually considering going to that game since they're wearing the '90s uniforms but decided against it since weather is ass. Miss a little, miss a lot.

alkeiper

Reaction score
On a family vacation to Williamsburg I actually managed to finagle a side trip to Harbor Park to see the Norfolk Tides play the Durham Bulls. A top park when it opened, the only negative I would offer is that concession prices are extremely pricy. ($5 for a bottle of water at a minor league ballpark?!) Watched Gunnar Henderson of the Tides and while he went hitless, it's obvious he has a tremendous arm.

Traveling through the area I get the impression Norfolk/Virginia Beach is like the Tampa Bay area as well as MLB potential. The population is there but geography and traffic would make steady daily attendance challenging.

alkeiper

Reaction score
What's it like being the worst team in the Pecos League? The Wasco Reserve are 7-38. The Pecos League is an extreme hitters league, averaging 8.56 runs per game. Maybe that will put their 11.69 team ERA in perspective. The ERA is helped though by unearned runs. The Reserve have a team .921 fielding percentage. To put perspective on that, .921 was the National League fielding percentage in 1888 when players wore either no gloves or something resembling oven mitts.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
It clearly isn't on the same level as that premium Woonie imports