Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The NBA is BACK (season resumes on July 30th)

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
That’s a really good debate. I have different kinds of nostalgia for both classes. I feel like 1984 has the better superstars as if you tell me take the groups of four key guys you listed above, I’d give the edge to the 84 group.

As an overall draft class, think 1996 on a whole had deeper, more meaningful careers. Recent years had a lot of 1996 versus 2003 debates but think 2003 goes even further than 1996 where star for star, I’d take the earlier class but a lot more guys in that draft either hung around or had more meaningful careers than many other draft classes.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Don't see it mentioned in here, but The Clippers signed Joakim Noah the rest of the season. I know he's old now, but I was surprised no one picked him up earlier. He showed in Memphis last year he still had something in the tank and is a solid energy big that can come off the bench and defend and handle the ball once in a while.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I had seen that. Don’t think his body can handle big minutes but i think he can make an impact defensively for 10-15 a game at this point.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I heard on the radio that Noah had the highest Vegas odds for contracting corona while in the NBA bubble. Not sure if:

(a) this was a joke (hard to tell considering what Vegas has offered bets on)
(b) they took into consideration J.R. Smith probably being signed by the Lakers any day now

Reaction score
That’s a really good debate. I have different kinds of nostalgia for both classes. I feel like 1984 has the better superstars as if you tell me take the groups of four key guys you listed above, I’d give the edge to the 84 group.

As an overall draft class, think 1996 on a whole had deeper, more meaningful careers. Recent years had a lot of 1996 versus 2003 debates but think 2003 goes even further than 1996 where star for star, I’d take the earlier class but a lot more guys in that draft either hung around or had more meaningful careers than many other draft classes.

I think I’d take the 85 and 87 draft over the 2003 draft.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I still think '84 is the best draft of all time. You have two Top 15 all time players in MJ and Akeem/Hakeem. Two top 50 all time players in Barkley and Stockton. Maybe others had more depth but I don't think any other draft had four Top 50 All Time Players. '96 MAYBE had two.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Nash is the weird case with 1996 because he is a multi-time MVP, which is rare to do but I still would not blink at a Top 50 list that leaves him out.

A lot of guys who had better careers that have less accolades for whatever reason. Nash is still a Hall of Famer but not as elite as others in this discussion.

I think 2003 probably has faded as these guys careers wind down. LBJ is an all-time great. Wade, Carmelo and Bosh can make Hall arguments. Then you got guys who had flashes as All-Stars like Josh Howard and Kaman, then a bunch of guys with solid long careers in the Barbosa, Korver, Hinrich realm.

But some of the longer careers may be moreso from medical advances considering 80s guys having wear and tear after a decade of play and more modern guys getting closer to two decades.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
1985 can't be left out of the conversation. Malone, Ewing, Mullin, Dumars, Terry Porter, Detlef, A.C. Green, Oak. Great draft.

I would put '84 above '96 and '03.

Here's another conversation starter: worst draft class since 1984. Gotta be 2000, right? I don't think there is another that is close.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
I'm gonna assume that Kamala meant to say "maybe had three" up there, unless he's saying that AI is maybe not a top 50 player, in which case cmon man

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I would say Kobe and AI are probable top 50 guys. Nash and Ray Allen are guys I would both probably put in 50-60 range. Four Top 60 guys is still enough to make it 2nd best draft ever IMO.

Staff member
Reaction score
I was thinking of my top fifty list last night in the chat, and I feel like it's really only possible to rank guys ten at a time. Iverson is in my top 30. A lot of people just don't understand how hard it was to play his role.

The guy was 6'0 and had to carry his team, no wonder he didn't want to practice

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I was thinking same as Kamala stated when I read his comment. AI and Kobe are Top 50. Nash is debatable. Ray Allen is very good but I don’t where he goes. Probably in a Top 75 list.

Reaction score
Steve Nash is a clear top 50 player imo. His teams led the league in offense efficiency like 9 years in a row, he won 2 MVPs and for better or worse, ushered in today’s playing style

Staff member
Reaction score
Ray Allen is better than Reggie Miller but I'm not sure either would be in my top 50.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Definitely agree with Allen better than Miller. He was good defensively, it’s weird because he somewhat fizzled in Seattle to people thought he was cooked when he got traded to Boston and wondered how he would be with Pierce before the Garnett trade happened too.

He was deserving of being an All-Star in Boston but still felt more like a role player at that point behind KG/Pierce, which led to him feeling disrespected into being a role player for the Heatles.

That somehow takes him down a step to me mentally, which may be unfair.

Then again, I feel AI could’ve had a couple good years as a sixth man or a valuable reserve if he was willing to come off the bench. That same fire that made him good led him to an earlier departure than necessary. Yet it’s hard to watch Tracy McGrady in the Hawks era, so who knows.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Before I got engaged in the ongoing discussion, I came here to post that I keep getting emails they want fans to make videos to “send off the Suns” to the NBA bubble. Wonder if they use my video if I just recreate some Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
The CAM PAYNE TRAIL is headed through Phoenix

DisgustingBlankBedbug-size_restricted.gif

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Nine NBA players tested positive for coronavirus out of 344 tests [2.62% Rate] administered from June 24-29, according to Shams Charania.

That's a new total of 25 players who've been positive since testing began on June 23. And hosting it all in Orlando... totally fine, people.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
1593750019237.png1593750040517.png1593750062196.png
Uh sure The fact that it's Kobe but he's not on fire and you made sure to include an "In Loving Memory" message makes it totally respectful.

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
For a horror fan, that design's p. neat. For anything else it's pretty creepy and not in a good way.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh for some reason, I thought Dwight Howard had something to do with that design but I guess not.

Sorry to noted wrestling fan Dwight Howard!

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Kings joined the Bucks, Heat, Clippers, Nuggets, Suns, and Nets in shutting down their practice facility after a positive test.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It sure doesn't seem like a good thing that a third of the teams in this truncated season finale have shut down...