Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The NBA is SUSPENDED! (NBA from March 2020 till...hopefully sometime in 2020?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bulls fired Gar Forman and gave John Paxson a new title of Senior Advisor of Basketball Operations. I'm guessing Pax's role is just to stay out of the way and collect checks. Paxson sounds like he wanted a rebuild all the way back in November and the vibe I got from interviews was that he kind of hates how much work he has to do and just wants to relax. Jim Boylen is probably hiding some where or they will wait until they have a clearer idea what is gonna happen with the NBA to let him go. From the sounds of it, Karnosaurus got rid of Gar first thing and there are waiting to talk to Boylen presumably to fire him.

Still think Pax should go too, but Michael Reinsdorf have actually surprised me with how he's attacked this. From every interview I've heard from him, I thought he was a dumbass and his weird comments like being confused as to why the fans called them GarPax made it seem like he barely paid any attention. He's done a great job getting a guy with a great track record to run the team and has done a really good job at going after talented people for the job. He shouldn't be praised for that since it's so simple, but I didn't think he would ever do it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1250835095776346114
Huh. This is certainly one way to legitimize the G League.

(If Tacko playing there this year didn't do it already!)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/hoopshype/status/1253368137539620865
Antoine Walker looks like Ruben Studdard now, Baby Shoes.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tim Hardaway really looks like that Art guy from the Mortal Kombat movie that gets destroyed by Goro.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Baby Shoes said:
I’d buy a recording of Antoine doing “Sorry 2020”
I nearly spit out my iced coffee when I read that interview and saw that Toine is working as a financial adviser to retired athletes.

He is the last person I would hire as a financial adviser. Is all of his advice "Look, do you see what I did in the '00s? Don't do any of that."

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
It is basically what you wrote with a shimmy at the end.

I’d take that meeting.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
King Mutumbo Classic said:
I nearly spit out my iced coffee when I read that interview and saw that Toine is working as a financial adviser to retired athletes.

He is the last person I would hire as a financial adviser. Is all of his advice "Look, do you see what I did in the '00s? Don't do any of that."

Baby Shoes said:

I’d take that meeting.

"Look, do you see what I did in the '00s? Don't do any of that."

:: shimmies ::

"That'll be $10,000."

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Mr. S£im Citrus said:

Baby Shoes said:

I’d take that meeting.

"Look, do you see what I did in the '00s? Don't do any of that."

:: shimmies ::

"That'll be $10,000."

1 million star post

2 million if you made this post from the Tokyo Dome

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1254168619761704962
Hey hey! A small ray of hope is starting to appear that there may be basketball sometime in relative near future.

eviluno

New Poster Who'll Post A Lot
Reaction score
I GOT THIS TO SAY

FUCK MJ AND THAT I GOT THE GLOVE SHIT

THE GLOVE OWNED YOUR ASS

ONLY PUNK ASS MOFOS MAKE EXCUSES LIKE OH IM SAD ITS DADDDY DAY WAAAAAAAAA

FUCK YOU MICHALEL JORDWENA

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well they have to, can't do the lottery until the season is over. I would bet heavily on getting some regular season games and playoffs sometime this summer to finish the season.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Cartman said:
Well they have to, can't do the lottery until the season is over. I would bet heavily on getting some regular season games and playoffs sometime this summer to finish the season.

I wonder if they will try to get everyone to an even number in regards to the lottery drawing. I think there is no way they can get to 82 games without having an insane sprint to the finish.

Or they could experiment and give adjusted or equal weighted odds.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They were 80% done the regular season. I don't think they need to play the last 15-20 games. Maybe just have everyone play their division rivals then have a truncated playoffs and a losers bracket tournament to determine lottery seeding.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
They were 80% done the regular season. I don't think they need to play the last 15-20 games...

In terms of competition, they don't, but they're still worried about the TV money. They're trying to come to a decision on how many regular season games they still have to broadcast in order to make good on their TV contract.

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I heard on my favorite Podcast last week that the RSN contracts require 70 games played for their team, so I bet we see at least 5-10 regular season games before the playoffs start just to make sure everyone hits that number.

Staff member
Reaction score
I think they'll play the season out as a test run. That way, if something happens, they can stop it again and the playoffs wouldn't already have started when they stopped the season for a second time.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
If they come back, I think first few weeks would be smooth but a handful of players are going to be going nuts by week three if they are all required to be in some quarantine complex. To do playoffs, some of these guys are going to be locked away for months. Some of them will be ok and not much different than things now but there will be some not looking to be gone from their families under these circumstances that long.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I read somewhere that Adam Silver is going to let players' immediate families stay with them at whatever complex they're holed up in.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
An article about players who don’t have hoops at homes and Jimmy Butler buying them for several players

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/sports/basketball/coronavirus-nba-hoop.html

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Latest, probably BS rumor I heard is that the NBA season will finish this summer at WALT DISNEY WORLD'S WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS COMPLEX in Florida

Looking at their website. It does make sense. Lots of hotel rooms to house everyone and the Fieldhouse there has four full length basketball courts at the Fieldhouse there so they could probably cram in a lot of games in a relatively short amount of time.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Yeah, I had seen some stories on that weeks ago. Even if they let their families come in, you flying a ton of people into Florida, which seems risky before and after whatever duration they are there for.

I also saw Mark Cuban amongst the people questioning the NBA returning this season. Every league has players doing the same (CJ McCollum for one in the NBA) but Cuban is the first owner I’ve heard speaking against in public and he’s indicated he would not open his practice facilities.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/alleniverson/status/1258608013964910593

I could get behind Self-Aware Allen Iverson

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Celtics on NBC Sports New England tweeted a very interesting trivia question/fact. Who led the Celtics in total points scored in the 2010s?

It was Avery Bradley. Which I guess KIND OF makes sense if you really think, he was there from 2010-17, consistently getting 13 to 15 PPG while Paul Pierce was there for first three years, Tatum was only there for last three years and as many great moments happened while he was there, Isaiah Thomas was only there for two and a quarter seasons

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/haberstat-michael-jordan-had-crazy-unbeaten-streak-vs-former-celtic
Also posted an article about how Sherman Douglas was 0-30 in his career against Michael Jordan. More like "The Washington General" Sherman Douglas. Amazed to read in that same article that Kemba Walker started his career 0-28 against LeBron before finally getting a win against him in January.

I guess you can really tell how bored NBA writers are if they're waxing nostalgic about Sherman Douglas.

Status
Not open for further replies.