Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The NFL Draft Thread (and UDFA Discussion)

Urban Warfare

Urban Warfare
Reaction score
The NFL Draft Thread (April 25th, April 26th)

Ingram is a incredible athlete and the Eagles potentially got a steal with that pick. Had he not been injured in '08 he would have been taken in the first round.

Cheech

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I just noticed that the Bengals took Andre Smith and Rey Maualuga. You can't make this stuff up.

Kinetic

Kinetic
Reaction score

Urban Warfare said:
Ingram is a incredible athlete and the Eagles potentially got a steal with that pick. Had he not been injured in '08 he would have been taken in the first round.

Absolutely. Of the trio of Florida skill position players drafted this year, I fully expect Ingram to have the best career.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Cheech said:
I just noticed that the Bengals took Andre Smith and Rey Maualuga. You can't make this stuff up.

Not to mention Michael Johnson, a DE with endless potential but underachieved at Georgia Tech.

Cheech

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Stole this from another board, but it's a very interesting look at draft position and relative value.

-Out of 967 players who had started a game in 2007 on rosters at the beginning of last season:

231 were selected in the first round
178 were selected in the second round
133 were selected in the third round
106 were selected in the fourth round
74 were selected in the fifth round
52 were selected in the sixth round
47 were selected in the seventh round
144 were undrafted

-Out of 41 quarterbacks drafted or signed in the last 11 years with ten or more career wins:

23 1st round
5 2nd round
4 3rd round
3 4th round
0 5th round
4 6th round
1 7th round
1 undrafted

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score

the pinjockey said:
Well, there is the TE (Ingram), so I'm happy. I wouldn't mind Rashad Jennings with the next pick to be a thunder back with Westbrook/McCoy and they still need one with only two on the roster (no Lorenzo Booker does not count).

I love this pick provided he's healthy. I'm really liking this Eagles draft class.

Reaction score

Curtis Painter was just drafted by the Colts. Pretty cool he is staying in state.

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score

Indy goes to another West Virginia kicking product with McAfee. Look out Vinatieri, Vanderjagt v2 is on his way!

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score

First time really taking in all the draft this weekend, and: ahahahaha, Al Davis. Still Fly, Cheech, I feel for you. DHB will be out of the league in 4 years. The guy never reached his potential at Maryland, is not as good a route-runner as he needs to be in the NFL, and achieved what he did on his speed and size alone (which, while impressive, is not that impressive in the NFL versus college). 7th overall pick money and the awful Raiders as his coaches, and he won't be doing much at all for you.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score

Psycho Penguin said:
Philly's doing awesome, with Jeremy Maclin

I still don't like that pick considering the Eagles need a big, tough receiver with good hands... who can go up the middle and make those tough catches. Maclin doesn't run routes well, his hands are questionable, and under-sized. But he's fucking explosive and has big time playmaker ability He's basically the average version of DeSean Jackson.

the pinjockey

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I think Avant proved at the end of the season, though, he can be that 3rd down find the hole in the zone guy.

And according to Ingram himself, he is good to go. So we'll see. If he can go from day 1 that is great.

What I want from the UDFAs:
- another RB, just the number of RBs on the roster dictate this
- a legit K prospect, not just a camp leg
- a developmental QB to fight for the 3rd string role

the pinjockey

Integral Poster
Reaction score

BTW, fuck ESPN on behalf of Brian Hoyer. You put a camera in his house, so they spend all of day 2 artificially inflating his value (every 15 minutes: "and what about Brian Hoyer?!?) and now he is left there jacking around taking UDFA calls most likely.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score

The only upside is that for Hoyer and other UDFA's, they can choose where to go team wise (I remember RB Mike Bell going to Denver specifically because he thought he fit their scheme well)

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Detroit made a few nice picks, but overall, their draft just didn't do it for me.

Staff member
Reaction score

No problem with our draft. Russell has a cannon of an arm and DHB is really fast. Maybe that's a perfect match.

teke184

Integral Poster
Reaction score

909 said:
No problem with our draft. Russell has a cannon of an arm and DHB is really fast. Maybe that's a perfect match.

Depends on whether DHB can catch a ball in general and whether Russell puts the right touch on it for DHB to catch it. (Russell's throws at LSU tended to be very hard and it took a while for WRs to adjust to catching them.)

He reminds me of one of Russell's former receivers at LSU, Bennie Brazell. Brazell was a world-class sprinter and 2004 Olympic competitor but had hands of stone.

One of the best catches I've ever seen him make was a play where Russell chucked the ball in the air around 40-60 yards. Brazell made a basket catch without having to even turn around and ran it in for a TD.

teke184

Integral Poster
Reaction score

My big draft opinions in general:

1. The Saints did what they needed to do, picking up CB/S Malcolm Jenkins in the first, grabbing additional help at S and LB as the draft went on.

The trade of next year's 5th and this year's 7th for what turned out to be a PK/P was a bit puzzling considering that last year's draft pick spent on a PK, Taylor Mehlhaff, was a total bust for them. (He was cut before the season, brought back after Gramatica got hurt, then cut again after the Saints' trip to London to play the Chargers.

2. Denver better hope that McDaniels' moves pay off or there will be a VERY ugly situation there.

McDaniels has made a bunch of moves since taking over there that I find questionable at best (running Cutler out of town, signing a bunch of RBs like Correll Buckhalter before drafting Knowshon Moreno, taking a probable one-year-wonder in Robert Ayres as a DE/OLB, trading next year's 1st when the team will likely be one of the worst in the NFL) and I don't think the fans will take things very well if they get passed by the Chiefs and Raiders en route to the basement of the AFC.

(The way things are looking, I think they are in competition with the Raiders for that dishonor, as the Jags will turn things around this year, the Browns will be better under Mangini than they were under Crenell, and the Bengals will be better this year solely because Carson Palmer will be healthy for at least part of the season.

Their saving grace seems to be that there are some really bad teams in the NFC, like the Rams, Lions, and 49ers, which will keep them from giving up a Top 5 pick to the Seahawks.)

3. The Jets appear to be playoff contenders this year in the AFC.

Granted, they've got a hellish schedule this year (6 games against the AFC East, 4 games against the AFC South, 4 games against the NFC South, Oakland, and Cincy), but they've put enough pieces together that I think they can compete for a Wild Card with decent breaks or an AFC East title if New England collapses for some reason, like another Brady injury.

That Sanchez move cost them very little for what the pick was worth, IMHO, since three pieces of what were sent off were former coach Eric Mangini's guys that were likely to be castoffs from coach Rex Ryan's regime by the end of training camp.

RB Shonn Green of Iowa was a good pickup considering that current RB Thomas Jones is unhappy with his contract and they'll need the running game while either Sanchez adjusts to the NFL or Kellen Clemens plays game-manager.

4. The Pats' reclamation project on their defense continues.

Between the selections of DB Patrick Chung, DT Ron Brace, CB Darius Butler, LB Tyrone McKenzie, DT Myron Pryor, and DT Darryl Richard, the Pats are continuing a youth movement on their defense, which used to be their calling-card before falling into disrepair over the past few years.

Trading Ellis Hobbs was needed to clear room for all of that youth, especially since he was bitching about being underpaid.

If the Pats can make a crappy defense from last year into a middling defense, that combined with Tom Brady's return on offense makes the team into an AFC juggernaut again.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score

I'm more excited that the first QB to be coached up by Ryan Leaf was drafted by the Rams. Welcome to the NFL, Keith Null.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

Some UDFA thoughts... Still hope Liam Coen gets a chance somewhere.

Nice to see ESPN hyped Hoyer land in New England and Chris Pizzoti (Harvard) with the Jets. Pizzoti could be a PS caliber QB for this season. Hoyer could challenge Matt Gutierrez (who was also a UDFA) for the 3rd QB spot.

Notable that Denver brought in the following for D-Line help: DL Everette Pedescleaux (Northern Iowa), DE Rulon Davis (Cal), and DT Chris Baker (Hampton). Baker could have a chance to stick as a backup.

Dallas brought in QB Graham Harrell for a tryout, a good job means a signed contract. Could do well with their slant based/attack over the middle style offense.

Green Bay brought in RB Tyrell Sutton, a guy I liked entering the draft. Could be a 3rd down back but the question will be blitz pickup.

Minnesota brought in RB Ian Johnson, a good fit for their offense. Not overly explosive nor fast but can pound the ball inside and move the chains (ala Rudi Johnson with Cincinnati).

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm mad that the Patriots brought in Chung. You know, I wanted a former teammate and neighbor to, you know, not play for a team I hate?

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Turns out QB Graham Harrell landed in Cleveland instead and should compete with Brett Ratliff to make the #3 spot or land on the PS.

teke184

Integral Poster
Reaction score
HarleyQuinn said:
Turns out QB Graham Harrell landed in Cleveland instead and should compete with Brett Ratliff to make the #3 spot or land on the PS.

If Ratliff lands on the PS, it makes the Browns' trade with the Jets to get him harder to defend.

Agent of Oblivion

Faded as fuck
Reaction score
I like Chicago's draft!

Needs were addressed sensibly after the Cutler trade.

D-line, WR, and secondary.

I like Jarron Gilbert, especially. I think he'll bring good size and versatility to a lackluster pass rush.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You all be hating on DHB, but the man ain't a scrub. The QB play at Maryland was very erratic. If Russell is decent, DHB will be fine. It's still a dumb pick at #7 when Crabtree is there (although I can see why Oakland wouldn't take that nutjob either), but don't completely hate.

Red Baron

I have a new hat.
Reaction score
Drafting Aaron Curry was a shock to me. Seattle could have a solid linebacking core next year, but I believe they should have taken Andre Smith in the first round instead. Very good day on the second day by drafting Mike Teel, Courtney Greene and Nick Reed

AlaskanHero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
To say Bengals fans are pleased with the draft would be an understatement. It's being considered the best draft (on paper) in Bengals history and there is a lot of optimism in Bengals land. The only issues I've heard amongst fans are that we passed on Eugene Monroe and that we drafted Bernard Scott with his apparent glut of off the field issue. However, considering there were a lot of people amongst the fan base that wanted us to reach for Rey at 6 or trade down to get him, the fact that we got both Andre Smith and Rey Maualuga without having to give up a thing has a lot of people understandably happy. Everything else (Michael Johnson, Chase Coffman, Johnathan Luigs, and even Kevin Huber) was gravy on top. I have to admit, I'm rather excited about Keith Rivers being reunited with Maualuga and what they could do for our young and rapidly improving defense.

Red Baron

I have a new hat.
Reaction score
Smartly Pretty said:
Courtney Greene is a steal, if you ask me. I'd like to see Teel play, but he kinda sucks, so I'm not betting on it.

He's got a Bledsoe vibe. Solid arm, but cement feet.