Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The OAO Muppet Thread

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
My issue there is I associate the Foundation FOR A Better Life as being Mormon's with a new PR image (basically using the old Church of the Saturday Saints commercials but with a new name) to avoid the negative connotations youtube has put on them (with it coming to light how they frown upon black people and such).

I'll have to investigate.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
haha do you mean the Church of Latter Day Saints or is it different in Canada? Either way, that's plain adorable.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://www.avclub.com/article/sesame-street-moving-hbo-fall-223816
Sesame Street is moving its new episodes to HBO in the Fall.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Fraggle Rock Complete Series Getting Blu-Ray Release

- All 96 episodes in the 12-disc set from the show's four seasons are FULLY REMASTERED IN HIGH-DEFINITION and presented with lossless audio on Blu-ray.
- All 13 Episodes of Fraggle Rock: The Animated Series
- Life on Set: Moments with Jim Henson
- Down at Fraggle Rock: Behind the Scenes (48-minute version)

A boatload of other extras too but too long to list ITT.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
That Melissa McCarthy puppet jizz Happytime Murders movie was done by the Henson company and was a project they had wanted to do for like over a decade until it finally got made into the bomb it was. They always viewed their properties outside of Sesame Street as being aimed more toward an older audience.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Henson would've made a better movie if he'd been involved. Not saying it would be good by any means but Henson was the only one who could make it at least forgettable instead of reviled.

Muppet Show is coming to Disney Plus by the way.

Valeyard

Reaction score
And no I didn't see the other thread about it until now.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That Melissa McCarthy puppet jizz Happytime Murders movie was done by the Henson company and was a project they had wanted to do for like over a decade until it finally got made into the bomb it was. They always viewed their properties outside of Sesame Street as being aimed more toward an older audience.
Yeah I almost mentioned The Happytime Murders in my post but honestly couldn't remember if it was a Brian Henson solo joint or an official Jim Henson Productions joint.

There are aspects of The Muppet Show, especially in its early seasons, that seem like it was made more as a show for adults that kids could also enjoy rather than vice versa.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I thought it was a Brian Henson passion project, first and foremost, to just make a gross rated R puppet movie. Jim could've made the premise work without the jizz and embarrassment.

The Muppet Show is awesome. The only aspect that has ever bugged me, and always had, was the canned laughter. I get that it's kind of a joke in itself but I just hate canned laughter in general.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So The Muppet Show episodes are more complete than a lot of people thought there'd be. Only edits to 12 out of the 120 episodes and two episodes missing. Brooke Shields cause of music rights and Chris Langham (the writer for the show who replaced Richard Pryor super last minute due Pryor's attempted suicide) because he turned out to be a pedo apparently.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I thought it was a Brian Henson passion project, first and foremost, to just make a gross rated R puppet movie. Jim could've made the premise work without the jizz and embarrassment.

The Muppet Show is awesome. The only aspect that has ever bugged me, and always had, was the canned laughter. I get that it's kind of a joke in itself but I just hate canned laughter in general.
It's one thing to have a laugh track in a show like MASH. But the Muppet Show supposedly has a live audience watching the show. I feel like you have to add some sort of canned reaction in that environment to make it seem authentic. IMO watching these episodes its one thing the show is really good at. It doesn't feel like they're recording on a soundstage with no audience except the crew. But they are.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I never had a problem with the canned laughter cause The Muppet Show is kind of a meta, show within a show.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I've really enjoyed watching The Muppet Show since last Friday. It's been a wild trip. My daughter, who is very picky with what she watches, wasn't interested at first. She's watched the new Muppet Babies, so she knows the characters and like them, but she didn't want to try watching this. I had it playing on my tablet as we were playing board games. She kept looking over and fell in love with the show.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
My kid was a bit intrigued but kept asking for the real Muppets. She's a project. :(

I started with season four because I have the first three on DVD. A lot of great stuff. Some of it doesn't age well (hence the disclaimers). Jonathan Winters, I've read a lot about how he was one of the funniest comedians ever. His episode though doesn't click at all.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Was watching some Muppets yesterday with the gf, and in the S1 episode with Peter Ustinov Kermit & Peter are having a little back and forth about the writers for the show, and Kermit jokes that a hat rack is the lead writer. Jump ahead to the closing credits, and in the Writers section the last name listed was The Hatrack.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

Why did nobody bother to tell me that they made Gonzo trans in the Muppet Babies revival?

Seriously though, it's cool they're portraying these issues.