Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Office

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm so exhausted by The Office at this point. It's been everywhere since the pandemic started and it needs a break. Honestly, I only find maybe 4 of the 9 seasons to be great television. The last two seasons were horrible and seasons 6 and 7 were heavily flawed.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was just joking although I have ran into people online who are as pedantic about the first nine seasons (IE only nine seasons that most people care about) as any number of non GOAT but long running shows jumping the shark.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Only if they swerve everyone and have Dwight arrested for trying to hang Mike Pence. Everyone in the office is called to testify and we find out who truly is his friend, which causes a serious rift between Jim and Pam and the documentary to be played in court (leading to Michael being cancelled and killing himself, or "taking a shot to the face" because "that's what she said").

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
The last 5 years of the show were so bad I just have zero desire to see them again.

Rebooting with a "safe" version of The Office is a very bad idea. People will immediately complain.

Can you do the same style of humor from the first 4 years of the show today? I would argue yes, but it would mean disregarding the twitter firestorm.

Maybe you could reverse it. And have the show make fun of how overly sensitive companies are now versus the old school boorish salesperson behavior the previous version reflected. But, I feel like that would be hard to keep entertaining for more than a few episodes.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
The best version of a reboot would actually probably be a prequel.

Dunder Mifflin back before Michael became boss with Michael and Dwight as salesmen. But, no way Steve would come back for it. And you would face the backlash over the jokes that you would have to be willing to withstand.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I was so shocked about the influx of Office nostalgia in the last few years since I thought it was universally accepted that the last three seasons sucked. I guess having 4-5 really strong seasons pretty much erases all the garbage.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was going to say “Has The Office even been gone long enough for people to be nostalgic so much that they feel the need to bring it back?” Then I realized the series finale was ten years ago…

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I remember people talking about how they liked the finale. Looking back now I actually hate it. Michael coming back and not saying anything was a dumb choice. I'm not sure if it was contract related or what. But, I hate it.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I remember people talking about how they liked the finale. Looking back now I actually hate it. Michael coming back and not saying anything was a dumb choice. I'm not sure if it was contract related or what. But, I hate it.
In order to keep it a surprise, he had to have minimal inclusion in the episode, including other cast members and the network not being informed he was participating.

Of all the things to complain about, this ain’t one of them. He hit the catchphrase that frat bros loved and showed us he was a happy man which is what he was always searching for.

Michael’s use in the finale was a good end, other aspects weren’t.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I would have rather had it not be a surprise and have him actually have more dialogue. Just having him appear and not say more than a few words is stupid.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
that’s precisely what Steve and Greg didn’t want, it would’ve been counterproductive to the entire arc of Michael Scott if he was still a god damn asshole center of attention desiring piece of shit.

Michael Scott left the “family” finally a grown up who realized his dreams of an actual family? why the actual shit would he come back and ruin it?

Focus more on the piss poor writing of all the other characters at the end of the series because there’s a lot of meat on that bone.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be one or the other though. There is a balance between having him say like 5 words and being a piece of shit who ruins everything.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I will say this; I have zero interest in this as well but look at the number of responses in this thread in such a short amount of time. Even the people that don’t want this will check it out and they’ll make big bucks.

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah the reason to do this is obvious. It can't possibly be worse than the last season of Arrested Development tbh so yeah I'm gonna watch it.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
It's a matter of preference, but I love 9 seasons of The Simpsons and consider them great television. Even the first two seasons. I find them so earnest and charming.
Season 9 has "The City of New York vs Homer Simpson", "This Little Wiggy", "Das Bus", "The Last Temptation of Krust" and other episodes I love. Even "The Principal and the Pauper" has some solid jokes. It's their last good season IMO.

Last edited:

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I'm assuming if it's set in modern times they will no longer be selling paper.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I want tension when Kelly finds out Erin was a KKK beauty queen.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
It’s entirely unnecessary but it’s the only thing that keeps Scranton relevant. (Well, that and the President.) Maybe we can make the Steamtown Mall great again.