Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Police Thread

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Rosa Diaz and Jake Peralta would never do some shit like that. Can’t imagine how angry Captain RAYmond HOLT would be

np60uzct7xs61.jpg

dude...

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
like i just said in chat. we shit on social media a lot and for good reason but I think it played a huge role in shaping opinion here and organizing people.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Even ESPN is covering the verdict. Now please people, let's make sure we don't need these trials again.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
so fucking happy. I actually popped with a "fuckin a" type fist pump

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm extremely shallow in this, I hate that the mask covered his reaction. His eyes told a story, but I wanted the whole story. I wanted to see the freedom slip from his face. Stupid bastard.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've been attending neighborhood watch meetings recently.

Last night a high ranking local official in law enforcement stated that the officer who drew his gun on the teenagers was out of line. He should have instead pepper sprayed the whole crowd. I went from "damn right" to "Wait, WHAT!?"

Then there was 45 minutes of talking by the official and me realizing how out of touch some people are, but the crowd was 50+ years old on average, so they just nodded in agreement with most of it.

There was a LOT of good points made though and I do feel a lot better knowing that they are aware of some of our concerns. I refused to raise my hand to be a "block captain" (friend was there elbowing me to sign up) since I live at the edge of the neighborhood on a highway.

I encourage you guys to drop in for a neighborhood watch in your areas and if one doesn't exist, start one. We have a Facebook group for ours also.
State legislature defeated a measure for legalized marijuana last week. Today's local paper quoted two area sheriff's as saying, "we know it'll be legalized, just a matter of when not if" was the thesis of both quotes. There was a reference to the "state sheriff's association" and reminded me of when I went to NHW meetings in 2015 a handful of times before getting too annoyed at pretty much everyone. One thing that stood out though was the sheriff we had then took a question from a 70+ year old who was VERY worried about the potential of marijuana being legalized. And he went on this long winded tangent about how Colorado has the least motivated work force now, nothing gets accomplished there, their budget is a wreck, and I don't think they make boots big enough to get through the pile of shit he was serving. That all 64 sheriff's in this state oppose legalization and will only support medicinal if it is in pill form only.

Today's quotes from the new sheriff painted a completely different picture. Essentially he's going to roll with it and is going to be checking with places that legalized it first to see how they addressed impaired driving violations with marijuana. Didn't pitch a temper tantrum or spread false propaganda (or it got edited out of the quote). It reads like the local department is just like "whatever, one less thing we gotta do paperwork on."

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
That's been the general consensus in most police forces, as far as I know. The big holdup in MA was deciding the taxation rate and where the money would go, setting up laws on how many dispensaries per area, licensing, etc. Police were actually highly in favor of its legalization for that very reason: one less minor thing to worry about, allowing them to focus on more important issues.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Between Sr and my friend that just quit the field, I was able to learn that at least in the immediate area where I live, they weren't arresting for possession only. It would always be a situation where the person did another illegal thing and also he had weed on him so that would get tacked onto whatever the original thing was. Doesn't make me any more or less pro legalization, but it's a good context to have when someone brings up a person was in jail for pot possession, at least in my area. Part of growing was understanding just because things are one way here doesn't mean that for everyone else.

(and to be honest my friend that just quit being a cop is rabidly anti-legalization and probably one of our biggest arguments outside of sports and politics)

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You can't see me but I started nodding really fast when I read that.

off thread's topic, relevant to responding to Laz
But for real, we didn't plan this, it was a big coincidence, but we wound up at the same music festival in another state while visiting family. He took his then wife, step daughter, and some cousins to the same event and we met up. While in the pavilion getting snacks and water the obvious smell of weed blew by in the wind, because it was an out door music festival and that's literally par for the course. It took all of the adults in our group five minutes to convince him to sit his ass down. He was doing this half way wanting to find the source/half way wanting to find security start and stop shit while we're like "sit down you're embarrassing yourself/us" and he gestured at the (3 year old? maybe?) step-daughter (who was oblivious other than "ew something smells yucky" ) and "hey dumbass, you literally are the only group in this entire complex with a kid in a stroller at an outdoor music festival, in the summer, in Texas." He mumbled something unintelligible but the main thesis I caught was "still not legal..."

I understand that while "the guys" (the fucking south man) were waiting in the porta potty line his ex wife flat out said to "the girls" she'd be a daily smoker if he didn't have such a stick wedged up his ass. I imagine when they finally divorced she bought mass quantities of things he didn't like out of spite.

On thread topic: North Louisiana state police https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_30cbc30e-bb43-11eb-b5ca-57ba4b2aaae4.html . A black man, Ronald Greene, was killed in 2019 after being beaten by troopers during a traffic stop. The body cam footage apparently just went public. After two years, crucial evidence to this case was finally released. The general consensus I'm finding is all living troopers will face consequences for their actions (one involved passed away since the incident happened). It's just a matter of getting the case(s) into court. The details are disgusting and readily available for anyone that wants to subject themselves to reading it. I'm not even attempting to look at the footage.