Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Predator

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I loved Predator. One of my favorite movies ever. I enjoyed Predator 2. Everything since has disappointed me.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
Damaramu said:
I loved Predator. One of my favorite movies ever. I enjoyed Predator 2. Everything since has disappointed me.

Pretty much where I stand. The Jungle & The Concrete Jungle were awesome settings with great casts. After that it just has been mediocre at best.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing that caught my eye was that the trailer repeated scenes (I counted at least two) which makes me wonder just how far along in shooting they were when they tried to cobble that together.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I'm willing to give Shane Black the benefit of the doubt. His filmography affords him that. If it sucks? Well, then at least people will stop belly-aching over Predators, which is better than it gets credit for.

Just Call Me Dan

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Predators is a really good addition to the franchise.

The scenes in this trailer with the kid and the involvement of Olivia Munn make me think this will be Iron Man 3 levels of bad.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My biggest problem with Predators was that it felt rushed. Maybe that's not the right word. But honestly it felt like it was just kind of there and things just happened then it was over. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
You're not wrong, it's basically just a rehash of the original, but it's pretty well made. I never understood the hate for Adrien Brody in it, either. If Nicholas Cage with a mullet can be a BAMF then I don't see why Adrien Brody with an AA-12 can't.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
This one coming this weekend.

Extra layers to Hollywood scum going into this as Olivia Munn got shit from the studio for complaining that a convicted sex offender had been cast. Sterling K. Brown came out in support of his co-star Munn in recent days but sounds like Munn went through hell over this a while aog. That person's character was cut from the final film due to Munn's whistle-blowing but it is that mix of supporting a studio doing shitty stuff when the shitty stuff is more blatantly out in the open like this.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
That guy was a close, personal friend of Shane Black's which is especially upsetting.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Supposedly he "fooled" Black wrt the nature of his conviction, smh.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
At this point just give me a Predator movie without jokes and quips. I know the first one had them, but they were actually good jokes and quips. The Predator had some of the worst and most obnoxious comedy I've ever seen in an action movie. And every damn character including the fucking Predator were jokesters.

I don't think Predators from 2010 was that bad and if they can just get back to that level I would be fine. But I think with a lot of these 80's sci-fi action franchises like Terminator, Predator, Alien, Robocop and so on, the way to go is to just make mashup movies. I know they are all owned by different studios and it will never ever happen, but they've pretty much exhausted any option with a stand alone Predator or Terminator story so give me Terminator vs Predator.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I meant just mash them all up and have them all fight. A majority of people thought one of those characters was gonna come out when they were talking about The Predator Killer In The Predator and then it was a bullshit Iron Man ripoff Predator suit instead. Those four franchises are all pretty synonomous with each other and it seems like no one has a real idea what to do with any of the franchises. I prefer that to whatever next changes of the Terminator timeline are or the third in the Prometheus trilogy or whatever this new Predator will be or a sequel to that forgettable Robocop reboot. Never will happen, but I can dream or look for the comic that had to happen in.

Honestly the second Alien Vs Predator movie is better than The Predator and maybe even Predators (Which I remember liking but can't remember any reason why besides the jungle setting looking really good) just by the sheer audacity of some of the kills. I don't remember as much forced humor as The Predator and if they actually used lighting in the fight scenes it might of got a better reception from people.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
I meant just mash them all up. They are all pretty synonomous with each other and it seems like no one has a real idea what to do with any of the franchises. Have all four fight it out. Never will happen, but I can dream or look for the comic that had to happen in.

Honestly the second Alien Vs Predator movie is better than The Predator and maybe even Predators (Which I remember liking but can't remember any reason why besides the jungle setting looking really good) just be the sheer audacity of some of the kills. I don't remember as much forced humor as The Predator and if they actually used lighting in the fight scenes it might of got a better reception from people.
I can not disagree with you enough on AVP: Requiem. I just find it to me a mean spirited, horribly acted, written and directed slog.

Re: to your the mash up opinion- I actually think you could do a good, stand alone "Robocop" movie today, or at least if you had the right director, script and creative freedom-and an R rating. Especially from a satirical standpoint. The series, even at it's worst, has done social commentary, and I feel like there's been enough shit going on the past four years-and before, and let's be real, there will be after-that you could actually do that mix of leftist parody and popcorn movie thrills. Again though, it would need people who you know could pull it off.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I might of just been in a good mood for some reason and had a fun time laughing at it the last time I watched it. Most of the characters that grated me the most got gruesome deaths unlike a certain Quinn McKenna from The Predator. Doesn't a Predator enter a saloon at one point? It felt like a soap opera with monsters being in it at times and poorly acted melodrama appeals to me more than macho posturing. I'm not in any way saying it's good and it's a massive piece of shit. I think there was potential at having a movie with monsters fighting around a small town and with better writing, acting, and lighting, it may have turned out to be a decent movie. They even could've made it a Mayberry type town like Slither which would have lead to some decent comedy and entertaining human characters while the Alien and Predator are hunting each other which AVP: Requiem didn't have.

I do think Robocop is the franchise with more in the tank. I'd like to see someone with a strong direction in mind take a shot at it. It needs to have satire and social commentary like you've said. I think the biting criticism and satiric commercials of the first one put it over the top from really good action/sci fi movie to an all time classic.

Last edited: