Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Resident Evil Thread

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
Always wondered why they haven't tried something like Dead Space's control scheme.

FLAM

FLAM
Reaction score
Agreed. I think Dead Space perfected this type of gameplay way early on. I gotta play those games again.

Played through all 3 demo campaigns, and pulled off a bulldog, a german suplex, tornado ddt, and a scoop slam.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Apparently this is getting not-so-great reviews. I'm not surprised given how much of a mess the demo was. I think it's time for Capcom to just reboot this entire series, legitimately, a la Devil May Cry.

AntiLeaf33

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Looks like Resident Evil 6 has been getting some middle of the road reviews. I may check it out eventually, but I can wait until it's $20-$30 or so.

Angle-plex

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lots of good reviews for this one, but some of the major sites have gave low scores. Strange.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah i dont know when ive seen such wild variation in scores for a game.

devo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
After playing the demo I'm definitely more inclined to believe the negative reviews. A "AAA" title isn't going to get uniformly panned no matter how bad it is.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Looked at it in the store and almost bought it but I've got other games to get through I'll wait for a price drop. I was glad to see they didn't change the giraffe blow job logo though.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Had no idea Resident Evil Archives existed until today. Is this 360 only?

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
RE6 is also available as a digital download on PSN as of yesterday. Note that it's still full price at $59.99.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I have 90 people on my friends list and I've yet to see anyone playing this game. I've been waiting until someone gets into it to ask their thoughts...and...yep.

Angle-plex

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I have it. Only played chapter 1 of Leon's and I'm honestly not sure yet. Safe bet would be to say if you like RE5 you will like this.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
A guy from work has been out of work playing it with his friend out of state. I'm gonna get his review when he comes back tomorrow, although I already picked it up, doing the Best Buy preorder giving $20 credit for future purchase and price matching Fry's Electronics $49.99 price.

Cuban Linx

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Finished Leon's campaign, overall i'd say it's pretty good. Could do without all the button-mashing and half the quick time events are done pretty much for the sake of it, but for the most part it's enjoyable. It's no RE4 but i'd probably put it over 5 as far as Resident Evil games go.

Starting as Chris right after Leon already feels like a huge step down though, if you're going to make an action-orientated shooter it would be nice to actually have ammo from time to time. The cover system feels awkward to me as well, never needed it as Leon but as Chris it seems like it'll be a necessity.

FLAM

FLAM
Reaction score
I also started with Leon's campaign. Just finished the 2 hour long first chapter. The atmosphere is pretty good. I wish there was more to it then just shooting down hordes of zombies like every other zombie game, but it's still enjoyable. Found myself running out of ammo, and dying a lot. The subway section was pretty cool. No regrets buying this so far. It could be better, but it's not bad.

Leading up to this, I went back and re-played the only main storyline Resident Evil game I never revisited - Code Veronica. Probably the most boring one of the series. So much backtracking, and Steve and Alfred are pretty lame.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
I have major Nostalgia Goggles when it comes to Code Veronica. I remember being blown away by the fact that the camera wasn't stationary. Definitely agree on the backtracking though.

Played the 6 demo yesterday. You all are right in that its a complete mess.

AntiLeaf33

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I broke down and bought it on the PSN over the weekend. Figured the wife and kid are out of town for 2 weeks, so it's the best chance of playing the game with the volume turned up. I bought it on the PSN over retail since you don't pay tax on the PSN, so it saved me over $10 on taxes.

As for the game, I started with Jake's campaign and enjoyed it a lot more than RE5. It's a lot more enjoyable now that the AI partner can't be killed in combat. I could live without all of the QTE and there are a few too many enemies at times.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't play this as much as I thought I would over the weekend. I started Jake's campaign, and thought it was decent enough. But then I hit the snowstorm level and couldn't see shit or find where the fuck I needed to go and I got tired of it quickly. Returned it to Red Box, I'll wait for a good price drop before buying this one.

AntiLeaf33

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The snow storm level was annoying as hell. It looked fantastic, but it would have been impossible if not for the mini-map and the Smart Phone/direction finder thingy.

FLAM

FLAM
Reaction score
Finished Leon's campaign. I've been playing this at a slow pace, but it was good. Had a hard time with the last boss. Must have been trying to beat it for an hour. Definitely the hardest boss in Resident Evil history. Or maybe I'm just terrible at this game.

Not in a rush to beat the other campaigns but I guess I'll try Chris' story next. The cover system was pretty bad in the demo so I'm not really looking forward to this one.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Supposedly a patch is coming out that pulls the camera back a bit. Don't remember were I read that. Kotaku possibly, or might have even been here.

FLAM

FLAM
Reaction score
Yeah. It just sucks that it's coming in December. Might hold off on the other campaigns until this patch is available. From the screen shots I've seen, it does look a lot better.

Angle-plex

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just beat this. New camera patch helps a little. Fuck Leon's final boos though. And I still have Ada's campaign to go, and I have no idea what happened in this story.

FLAM

FLAM
Reaction score
I'm not sure what happened as far as the plot goes, but I enjoyed Chris' campaign. Not the most polished shooter (and definitely not survival-horror) but it was fun. The new camera patch helps it a lot, I feel.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Joystiq: Look out, it's a hungry horde of Resident Evil games infecting Day 3 of Xbox Live's Games on Demand sale, with five of the nibblers dangerously discounted. Shuffling along at half-price are Residents Evils 4-6 and Operation Raccoon City, taking 4 and 5 to to $9.99 and the other two to $19.99. Savings-wise, the pick of the bunch is Code Veronica, with today's discount digesting 75 percent of its insides and only leaving behind a stump of $4.99.

As ever - well, until March 4 - there's a groaning mass of other Games on Demand at sale-severed prices, and one of those groaners is Grid. With the second Grid game nearing the finish line, $4.99 is a decent price at which to dive into Codemasters' racer series.