Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Sketch Comedy Thread

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This was brought on because a while ago the chat was talking about the best Sketch shows. Most of us were of course really into Chappelle but Brock and I were also big stans for Mr. Show as being overall our favourite. As a Canadian I also have to throw out SCTV as a standout.

What are your favourite sketch comedy shows, troupes, skits?

I just started watching the Monty Python Show on Netflix. I've seen all the movies (Life of Brian is my favourite, not the Holy Grail), and I've seen the odd sketch before. I'm about 4 episodes in and I'm digging it. I really like Gillam's cartoons as much as the skits.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i also rewatched the chappelle show and I didn't think any of the stuff in the abbreviated 3rd season aside from maybe the Tupac skit was even worth airing. It would have been better to just leave that stuff unaired but I know why they didn't.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really think a lot of Key and Peele holds up really well and that's probably the last really good sketch show I remember.

My two favorites in Chappelle Show and Mr. Show have been named but I really like The Ben Stiller Show. Heavy Mr. Show influence and a lot of the same people show up. You can see Bob Odenkirk test out a lot of stuff he did later on Mr. Show. The big difference though is the Stiller Show did a ton of movie, tv, and celeb parodies. Early 90s Ben Stiller was an excellent impressionist so it is still really funny despite some dated references.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Third season of Chappelle Show is not good at all except for the aforementioned Tupac sketch and maybe the bit with dinosaur eggs. Iirc even beyond the troubling race stuff that made Dave walk away, the humor got way wackier, stupider, and broader.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I loved a lot of the shows mentioned already. A little over a decade ago, I really enjoyed Whitest Kids U Know but knowing the time period it was from and my age at the time, I wonder if I would be embarrassed saying I liked it now. I feel I bought a DVD set of them, so I may have to check it and see if this needs to get deleted.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i remember Whitest KIds and liking it at the time but I also can't actually remember a single skit from the show now.

Dandy

Reaction score
MTV’s The State. I was 14 or so when that came out and sweet lord was it hilarious. There were some definite goofy segments and not everything was a home run. But everything made me laugh because you could tell even the segments that bombed were things the cast found funny amongst themselves. It is absurdist humor but was right up my alley. Many of the male members of the cast pulled double duty as females because Kerri Kenney was the only female cast member.

I adore this show and still quote it so much.

Dandy

Reaction score
For those of you not familiar with The State, take 18 minutes to watch this episode without commercials. You’ll have to get past the video being uploaded in zoom format, but this gives you a good glimpse of what the show was like. The zoom format takes away some great facial reactions and is distracting, but it’s the only thing I’ve got.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I just started watching the Monty Python Show on Netflix. I've seen all the movies (Life of Brian is my favourite, not the Holy Grail), and I've seen the odd sketch before. I'm about 4 episodes in and I'm digging it. I really like Gillam's cartoons as much as the skits.

The first season is mostly incredible, and the first half or so of the second is way up there. But the lows match the highs. Like, imagine Meaning Of Life is pretty much an extended episode, for comparison.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i remember that i watched that show and enjoyed it at the time but i can't actually remember a single sketch from it now. Very sad for someone to die so young though.