Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Sopranos: Rewatch

Staff member
Reaction score
I created this in GTG solely because I can do this in a blog type format and on my own time without like, people expecting me to send one of these out all the time. Plus GTG is the closest thing we've got to a blog. If this all turns out good I'll move it and if not whatever. Some will be done in a liveblog format, some in a more analytical type of deal. This shit might get deep.

I plan to start tomorrow by watching the pilot. I don't remember that much of it.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Spoiler on the ending:

black.jpg

Staff member
Reaction score
Brocklock said:

I say oh in this fashion all the time.

PILOT

- The first time I watched this show, I knew it was legit 8 minutes in when Tony chases the fucker outside of the office building complex and run him over. I'LL GIVE YOU A FUCKIN BONE YOU PRICK, WHERE'S MY FUCKIN MONEY, then Christopher starts whining over his car and I can't stop laughing at that as well as IT'S A RETIREMENT COMMUNITY and so what, no fuckin ziti now? Endless quotables in this episode which I can't say about most pilots.

- Always hated Hesh. It's not so bad in this episode, but in later episodes that he's around for, I can't stand him. He may be the only somewhat major character in the show who has no redeeming qualities.

The first half of the episode is much better than the latter half. I like how Chris turns from soulless etherer of Czechs in this episode to being annoyed about a lack of recognition over it, to then in later episodes freaking out and going through the "oh fuck I really killed a guy and I'm haunted" stage. The lack of Tony having the cartoon character accent is a bit weird too. All in all, I realize why I didn't remember a whole lot in this episode.

There are a couple of these I'm not looking forward to rewatching but I don't think any are this season.

P.S HBO GO streams like shit for me when I'm using other sites instead of solely watching the program so liveblogging isn't a realistic format. That's pretty much dead in the water, I can do stream of consciousness and then post it later, but that's pretty much it :(

Staff member
Reaction score
46 LONG

- It's great when the truck driver asks Chris and Filone to make sure he doesn't walk away unscathed, then they beat the shit out of him and don't bother with tying him up.

- Tony throwing Filone out after the terrible chemo-sabe joke was good. The visual of porkchops flying everywhere will not subside anytime soon.

- Eddie! I GOT FUCKIN JOHNNIE COCHRAN RIGHT HERE FOR YOU

- Tony's mom running over her friend was hilarious and so was fake Scorsese.

- Bodie holding up the truck driver with Filone was weird. This is a worlds colliding scenario here.

- And Tony beating up the bartender at the Bing MikeSC's girl style caps off a great episode.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
I rewatched the entire Sopranos shortly after it ended. I've probably seen every ep 3 times. I don't think I'll be up for it again for a long time, too much other stuff on backlog or deserving of rewatch

Staff member
Reaction score
DENIAL, ANGER, ACCEPTANCE

The Sopranos - Paulie and Sil vs the Hebrew

- This storyline with the Jews is just weird. YOU'RE CREATING A GOLEM. Paulie beating the Jew guy over the head with the bell is the best thing yet. "FUCK THAT. THIS IS HOW I SAY NOTHIN. HOW'S THAT FOR NOTHIN."

- Tony supplying with the private party was pretty cool.

- His rant about Jackie's cancer and what subsequently followed about the painting was epic control-freak shit.

- Artie's my favorite not mobbed up character. I may take that shit back two or three times. Food fight's good.

- Chris begging for his life and subsequently Filone getting iced is real. Hijack, bye jack

Brendan Filone Wacked By Mikey Palmice - The Sopranos

Great show

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Jackamo said:
- His rant about Jackie's cancer and what subsequently followed about the painting was epic control-freak shit.

- Artie's my favorite not mobbed up character. I may take that shit back two or three times.

What's the thing with the painting? I don't remember that at all.

I lol'd at the second line. You will definitely take that back once you see Adriana in her bra and panties.

Staff member
Reaction score
He kept going on about the painting in the waiting room being a psychological painting. He exploded after a while.

Staff member
Reaction score
MEADOWLANDS

- Tony's dream of seeing everyone in the doctor's office building was just weird, then to see it really happen later the first time I watched it was mindblowing.

- Chris with the neckbrace and all the goings on with him being paranoid are hilarious. Offering to buy Meadow a happy meal is the highlight. Then OH SHIT BRENDAN'S EYE GOT PUT OUT DURING HIS MURDER WTF

- When Tony staples the ticket to that fag Mikey that's that shit.

The Sopranos - Tony beats up Mikey

LOL

Then when he inadvertently scared that dude while holding the ax it is the shit too.

- Also hilarious to see AJ get the mafia secret revealed to him and then be mindblown the rest of the episode.

Staff member
Reaction score
COLLEGE

- "What do they teach you in India, how not to get diarrhea?"

- Nice to see Irina being a crazy bitch revealed in the midst of everything else that goes on here.

- Tony doing surveillance on this dude is amazing.

- This priest preying on Carmela's attraction to him in order to get great meals and watch movies all the time is pretty swag.

- The chicken game between Tony and the rat was pretty great. I love how, as with everyone else Tony kills, they show the bad side of the person before the murder. In this case, he's a drug dealing fuck.

Tony take revenge on Petrulio - The Sopranos HD

Great murder

This was one of my favorite episodes, but I never understood why people call this one the best. It still isn't mine, but I do now.

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, remember he tried to get those white trash to kill Tony by threatening them with never selling them drugs again.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Ahh okay, I didn't remember that but now that you mention it the scene is clear in my head.

David Chase was awesome at maximizing value out of seemingly innocuous lines/scenes to reveal deep and important character traits. Furio beating the shit out of some kid for playing with fireworks, Silvio beating the shit out of the stripper, Carmela telling Tony she'll donate the money to Columbia despite the Shrink telling her to leave him, etc.

Staff member
Reaction score
PAX SOPRANA

- This cop with the wrinkled ass suit cracks me up. Get some dry cleaning dawg

- "With all the conversation around here I might as well be a fuckin' dildo"

- Tony's dream with Dr. Melfi where "What Time Is It?" plays is hilarious. The I love you bomb later was just....weird

- Tony, the Jew, and JOHNNY SACK running game on Junior was pretty good.

Rusty Irish Wacked By Mikey Palmice & Joseph Marino - The Sopranos

lol

- I always love in mob movies/shows the scenes where it's made clear to someone that they didn't see nothin'.

- The bit with the waiter and his camera scheme was nice too. This episode's just okay I suppose.

Staff member
Reaction score
DOWN NECK

First AJ-centered story, one of my favorites.

- LOL at wine stealing and then the kid falling down and puking everywhere

- These flashbacks to Tony's childhood are amazing. My favorite parts are younger Livia, young Junior and Johnny fucking up that dude, Tony stowing away in his dad's trunk, and black kids fuckin' with little Tony.

- Livia always talking shit about the old people at the nursing home RETIREMENT COMMUNITY gets me rollin

- Tony calling Janice a wannabe-dothead is p. funny

- Tony saying his dad was in jail and people covered by saying he was in Montana being a cowboy made me lose it to the point of uncontrollable laughter.

- "They are not going anywhere! I'd rather smother them with a pillow than take them to Nevada!" That's some crazy shit.

Here are most of the flashback scenes.

The Sopranos - Flashback

Staff member
Reaction score
THE LEGEND OF TENNESSEE MOLTISANTI

This is one of my favorites.

- Chris going on his freaked out over being a murder episodes is a TRIP. It's kinda sad that when Tony tries to address possible mental issues, Chris just laughs it off as something that is beneath him when those things are pretty important to Tony's current state.

- Chris's screenplay is one of the wackest things I've ever seen produced. "I thought I was daed but I manuged to get the drip on him." What kind of English is this. It's also pretty enlightening how bad he wants to be famous, have a name, and be part of the mix. At least he gets the payoff at the end and the moment where he takes all the papers is cool. Also, "my advice? Put that thing down awhile. We go get our joints copped, the words will come blowin' out your ass." And, "you know who had an arc? Noah."

The Sopranos - Chris at the bakery

- "Geno" from the bakery gets recast as Vito later, but my favorite part of that whole scene was Chris going apeshit and shooting the white boy in the foot. JUST LIKE IMPERIOLI GETS SHOT IN GOODFELLAS

- Love how Tony and Carmela hide the guns, money and shit at his mom's crib. Oddly dramatic scene.

- The comedian at the retirement community is BEYOND terrible.

Best one so far.

Staff member
Reaction score
BOCA

- "You blow that whistle one more time I'm gonna stick it right up your fuckin' ass"

- This shit with the girl wrist-slitting is crazy, and how it ties in with the coach leaving. Paulie saying his name was Clarence while dropping off the TV had me rollin', but I remember being pretty surprised at the coach fuckin' wrist-slitter girl. Some straight out Sandusky shit before its time.

- Pussy eating storyline is hilarious. So many good quotes I'll post a video. "I don't go down enough," replied to in the fashion of "that's not what I heard" is a major highlight.

The Sopranos - Junior likes sushi

- "Uncle Jun's into muff. Oh, did I say muff, I meant rough."

- Then Artie says "fuck the world" and I just lose it for the whole rest of the episode. Him as moral compass is a good turn of events.

Staff member
Reaction score
A HIT IS A HIT

Before I watch this one again, I seem to remember hating it. Let's see how that plays out.

- Clipping the Colombian and taking all his dough is some cold shit.

- This storyline with Massive Genius and the music making and Hesh is just horrific. I have very little good to say about it. The best part was Chris saying "whose welfare check to you have to cash to get a burger around here?" And that's pretty much it.

- When Chris smashes guitar over dude's back, I liked that part, but it was so poorly acted when the actor just turned his back to Chris like a poor pro wrestler. Wrestlers do better guitar shots than this.

- The way the white dudes try to exploit Tony for storytelling purposes is really disgusting.

- Giving Cooz the box with nothing in it was a great gag.

I think it's a bad episode, even one of the worst, but there are a few good moments. Very few.

Staff member
Reaction score
Four of these today was p. fun.

NOBODY KNOWS ANYTHING

- Forgot that this opens at the whorehouse. WTF some doctor comes in during Pussy's back episode wearing part of a French maid outfit. Weirdo shit there.

- Pussy getting arrested on a legit charge was something I never expected at this stage. Then Tony gets told he's a rat and just refuses to believe it for all that time. It's pretty obvious to the viewer Pussy was a rat all along considering how he was arrested (or not arrested at all). First he runs out the room which, you know, makes total sense if you're a rat, you wouldn't want the feds to let anything slip. Then he runs when he supposedly has a fucked up back. That doesn't make any sense. But of course, I'd never believe something like that about my best friend, so it makes sense Tony wouldn't either.

- Livia's hysterics w/r/t her relationship with Junior are hilarious. She is just out THERE.

- All of these scenes about Pussy from now until end of 2nd season are deep. The one here, where Paulie offers to do the deed, isn't even the best one in the episode. Can't believe Paulie's car horn is The Godfather theme. When Paulie tells him to take off his clothes is one of the most tense scenes in the whole series.

- Vin getting busted during the whorehouse raid and then diving off the bridge changes the show in so many different ways. Imagine how it would have been if he didn't end himself. Obviously him saying Tony was a prick until the end during one of the bordello scenes was a giveaway that he was going to die.

- Can't understand why Tony's mom would do him wrong like this. Then she tries to smooth it over by saying she doesn't like that kind of talk. Wah bullshit.

- Now it's super obvious this dumb motherfucker Jimmy was a rat, trying to ask leading questions and all that stupid shit. Glad this retard rat fuck gets clipped later. Too bad everyone else doesn't realize Pussy is a rat too until a bit later. Plus Pussy disappears after the gym incident which was, you know...fishy.

- This stupid fag Mikey, nearly all of his bits annoy me. I'm glad this guy only had one season cause he could have been Cifaretto levels of annoying, although in a much different way. Btw his wife is fucking stupid.

Videos:

Big Pussy Is Suspected To Be A Rat

The Sopranos -Vin Makazian's Suicide

This one has more stuff going on in it than the last two combined. One of the best episodes.

Staff member
Reaction score
ISABELLA

- Find out that Pussy disappears which, may have been better to be viewed rather than otherwise leaning about it out of Tony's mouth.

- Tony took too many damn pills

- Junior puking over the Tony thing was kinda embarrassing. Then the clown who set up the deed gets iced in a hilarious fashion after cracking a joke. Wow.

- I knew all along that this hot chick was a complete hallucination. In a re-watch, knowing that, the scenes are pretty weird.

- When he shifts from depressed to fighting for his life during the assassination attempt is a pretty interesting change in the series. At least the one guy misses before Tony crashes into the parked cars.

- Livia and Junior's visit to Tony's crib was mad awkward.

- AJ chaperoned to the dance by Paulie and Silvio was the funniest part of this episode.

Video:

The Sopranos Episode 12 Two Men Attempt to Kill Tony Soprano

At least there were no distracting storylines in this one. Real good.

Staff member
Reaction score
I DREAM OF JEANNIE CUSAMANO

- The Jimmy getting clipped part is great. If you're a rat, why would you go into the room to fuck a broad, after one of the broads leaves the room? It's typically dumb. MOTHER OF GOD and there go his brains

- Livia showing up while AJ was jerking off is some amazing sick shit. Then that shit where she calls Meadow some crazy Aunt bitch whatever word.

- Tony freaking out on Melfi by flipping the table and shit is messed up. Can't believe she ever let him go back after that one. Like a victim.

- Jimmy with rat in the mouth lol

- Greengrove being wired was something I remember as a major revelation. Even surprised me now as I had forgot about this scene.

- Artie finding out about the fire scheme at Vesuvio from Tony's mom is cold on her part, but whoa shit later when he ran up on Tony with a rifle I thought he was dead man walking in the next season. Good thing it didn't turn out that way.

- Chris phoning in a bomb scare to Jimmy's funeral is ice cold.

- "Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this" LOL

- damn iced that fool on his own boat and then donned a captain's hat before putting him in the ocean

- "You never mentioned any of your associates by name except for that one fellow Booty" hahahahahaaha

- Artie saying he has murderous rage, not that he just hates one man, but all men cracks me up.

- Paulie of all people seeing a shrink is just as funny too.

- Mikey's death, where he tells his wife to go take a Midol as his last words to her, is one of most oddly filling things I've seen on TV to this day. Paulie freaking out over poison ivy made it even better.

- Indictments going out and Junior being one of them made a top episode even BETTER.

- Despite my saying it was pretty swag to prey on women's sexual attractions to get free food I love when Carmela calls Father Phil out on that cause it's really pretty disgusting. I like how that fool walks toward the door and then has to turn around in shame and go back for the movie.

- Tony's mom's convenient stroke and then her appearing to have a smile was pretty disgusting. I mean that's open to interpretation but her face clearly changes shape.

- It's great how, much like everyone else, Artie won't turn Tony away either. Also Paulie having calamine lotion all over his shit was great.

Theoretically if this was a one season show it would have been perfect even as that. I had a different favorite episode heading in but this may even trump that. I dunno yet. I'll see about that in a while. Wow I wrote a lot of stuff.

Videos:

The Sopranos - Jimmy Altieri Is Whacked

Artie in anger wants to kill Tony - The Sopranos HD

Sopranos - Mikey Palmice gets clipped

Staff member
Reaction score
GUY WALKS INTO A PSYCHIATRIST'S OFFICE...

- I love how Chris assigned some Asian dude to take his stockbroker's exam. The "It Was A Very Good Year" montage that follows is excellent, with Chris diving into the coke, Paulie screwing the broad on the pool table...

- Pussy coming back and expecting to be trusted immediately is just....I don't know how exactly to describe how I feel about that. The Puerto Rico claim was ridiculous, even though it checked out.

- Then Janice, the absolute worse gets introduced, ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. She is an unbelievable, horrible, disgusting leech.

- "Our true enemy has yet to reveal himself." How prescient.

- There's a long period without anything important happening, then Tony's CD skips, he has a panic attack, and then everything picks back up. I like that he goes on to beg Melfi to return and help treat him. I like that he tried to find a different guy and called himself Mr. Spears but obviously that wasn't gonna work out.

Video:

The Sopranos - Philly Parisi Gets Whacked

Not a great episode, glad it picks up from here.

Staff member
Reaction score
DO NOT RESUSCITATE

- This storyline with the black preacher is a pretty good one. I was a little surprised to find out that the whole thing was part of a scam.

- Bobby was a great addition to the show, love that there's no end to the weight jokes and all that other shit.

- Love how Pussy immediately starts off lying to his FBI contact.

- lol Junior in the judge's office on oxygen. No surprise the Jewish judge got mad after his "sounds like Nazi Germany" comment.

- "I think it's time for you to start seriously considering salads" hahahahahaha

- The protest busting part is really messed up, but Baccala beating on some guy and running out of breath was p. funny.

- Tony having to drive Junior to the hospital after carrying him like a child was a nice bit.

This was more the set-up variety type episode, it's not too great, but I'm really looking forward to watching the next one when it picks up again.