Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Vs Fighting Game Thread - News & Views..

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
DISSIDIA - FINAL FANTASY (PSP - Summer 2009)
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47585.html

--Lots of familiar faces in this trailer, including characters from the 2D days. :) Hopefully it's not as shallow as Castlevania Judgment was..

Wiki Entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissidia_Final_Fantasy

----------------------------------
BLAZBLUE (PS3, 360 - Summer 2009)
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47279.html

--Looks sick! I'm a fan of Guilty Gear so I'll definitely be picking this one up when the day comes!

Wiki Entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlazBlue

----------------------------------
KING OF FIGHTERS XII (PS3, 360 - April 2009 in Japan; July 2009 Worldwide)
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/46195.html

--Finally a new KOF in HD! I'm probably more excited for this than I was SSF2T HD Remix

Wiki Entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_of_Fighters_XII

devo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
MvC2 is still incredibly fun to break out when people are over. I don't know if anybody here has managed to get a win with over another person while using a team of all Servbots but it's a good feeling.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mortal Kombat Team Looking To Split From Midway
http://kotaku.com/5196568/mortal-kombat-team-looking-to-split-from-midway?skyline=true&s=x

Midway's team of developers responsible for the 17-year-old Mortal Kombat franchise is currently in active talks with other publishers to leave the company and for its own studio, sources tell Kotaku.

The MK team, which comprises about 50 developers, is said to be in discussions with a handful of unnamed publishers, with senior members of the group handling negotiations for a possible exodus from Midway. According to Midway sources who wished to remain anonymous, one of the catalysts for the move is a lack of payment in bonuses due to MK team members based on meeting Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe sales targets.

Sources said that the Mortal Kombat team has become increasingly "frustrated" with the handling of Midway's bankruptcy filing. MK staffers also expressed irritation from being in the position of delivering million unit-selling titles on time and on a bi-annual schedule while other projects at the company languish in development.

Midway representatives, when contacted for comment, opted not to discuss the Mortal Kombat team's plans, saying that the team was in "good shape." They did, however, want to stress that Midway itself is not withholding any owed payment to the Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe developers.

"Midway is not refusing to pay out those bonuses," PR reps told us. "It's the unsecured creditors committee that is refusing to allow us to pay them. They're the ones holding that up."

If the MK team—who are apparently not under contract at Midway—does find a new studio to call home at a publisher other than Midway, the fighting game franchise may not go with them. That, as well as having to abandon work on the follow-up to MK vs. DC, tentatively titled Mortal Kombat 9, was going to be "tough."

Should the key Mortal Kombat talent leave, it could be a substantial blow to the ailing Midway, which has already closed and consolidated many of its in-house development teams.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
SFIV Championship Mode Dated

April 17, 2009 - Street Fighter IV's Championship Mode has finally been dated, with the free upgrade coming to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 next week.

The pack heavily bolsters the online content, introducing tournaments and a replay function. Tournament Mode builds upon the Battle Point system currently employed by the game, with players acquiring Grad Points to enter higher tier tournaments, wherein huge amounts of Championship Points are up for grabs. Capcom's Unity blog has the full rundown on what the new Tournament Mode brings to the game.

Most exciting is the introduction of a replay function, allowing players to analyze their opponents moves and spectate in tournaments. The PlayStation Network version will enable players to rate videos, applying tags in an approach that will be familiar YouTube users, while the Xbox 360 version allows players to download videos any study input commands.

Thoth

Curleh Mustache~
Reaction score
Fucking fuck.

Championship mode is out, and sure, it's fine. But the game was stealth patched. I have a tourney tomorrow, and the characters I'm practicing with today aren't the same that I'm going to be playing with tomorrow.

Zangief's clothesline now doesn't hit low after the initial rotation.
Fei Long's Roundhouse Chicken Wing Kick is nerfed in startup time, but he's 100% invincible during startup.
Cammy and Rose took damage nerfs.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Whattttt.. do these only apply to Champ mode or the entire game?

Thoth

Curleh Mustache~
Reaction score
The whole game! Surprise.

In all honestly, the Cammy and Rose nerfs are miniscule (1%), the Fei Long thing is actually a buff, in certain cases. So really, this is tiny.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
www.tu4ar.com - Marvel vs Capcom 2 confirmed for PSN & XBL, this summer! Featuring online multiplayer! :D

More from Joystiq:

Update: As expected, Capcom has made the return of MvC2 official via the Capcom Unity website. The biggest news: a demo of the game will be available on PSN this week (most likely during the usual update on Thursday, April 30). Christian Svensson, the company's VP of strategic planning and business development, calls this the "definitive version" of the classic fighter, providing some details to back up his claim.

In addition to the already confirmed online play, it's been revealed that the game is based on the Sega Dreamcast release, features HD upscaling and a widescreen options, and will support custom soundtracks on both platforms. No word yet on a 360 demo, but we've dropped Capcom a line for comment.

Glad to hear it's the Dreamcast version!

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
eh same here...I've come to terms with the fact that I just don't have the time to be a hardcore gamer, not enough of one to warrant having more than the Wii.

Sabre

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Im far from being called a hardcore gamer, but when i had money to burn i got all 3 consoles just so i have the choice of games i want to play.

And yes, MvsC2 = win.

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If you can sit down, on a daily basis and dedicate 3, 4, 5 etc. of straight, uninterrupted hours to video games, you're hardcore...and probably a loser. I can barely get through an hour without my wife and kids bugging me about some shit.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
On Wednesday or Thursday night I can usually get in 3 hours give or take.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Personally, I wish I could get more time in. I have a bad habit of getting games but not being able to get into them because of real life stuff (work, etc). I miss being 12. :p

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't think I ever finished the Zelda game on Wii just because I haven't had time to sit down and "master" the controls. =\

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You know what sucks? Okay, I scoop a game up like when it's at a really good price, new or used either way, it sits for months, by the time I get to playing it, it price dropped again!

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Black Lushus said:
You know what sucks? Okay, I scoop a game up like when it's at a really good price, new or used either way, it sits for months, by the time I get to playing it, it price dropped again!

This is why I've just stopped buying games altogether, unless I REALLY want it.