Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Vs Fighting Game Thread - News & Views..

Thoth

Curleh Mustache~
Reaction score
SAIKYO STYLE !! サイキョー流 said:
Does "got bodied" mean you got your asses kicked? Or that fat gamers were rubbing their bodies all over you in line?

P4A does look awesome, though. I can't wait for that to drop next month on PS3. Injustice does look dumb and is definitely an unnecessary entry into the genre. Were people really clamoring for another DC Universe fighter?

Asses kicked, yes.

devo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
P4A looks so good that I think I'd want it even if I weren't a massive fan of the Persona series. And while I appreciate what they're trying to do with Injustice it just seems like they're going way over the top with the usable/destructible environments and shifting stages.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
;D 5 days till Arena time. All the characters look fun to play and everything. I also read up on it, and this is an actual sequel to Persona 4 (and in a way 3) but before Persona 5. Sweetness.

I'm not sure who I want to main. I'm leaning towards maybe Yu, just because he's so balanced.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
;D I was having so much fun playing last night! Easy to jump in and have some fun. Also, the new character is quite fun.

Though I'm not used to Yu having a voice for lines. Its quite odd.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
253056_10151167011052147_1456395986_n.jpg

Thoth

Curleh Mustache~
Reaction score
I had a match against Aris in Tekken Tag 2 on stream last night, but the match was right after an announcement that two large arcades in Southern California are closing. The commentators didn't even talk about the match I was having. I felt like Tyson Kidd.

Thoth

Curleh Mustache~
Reaction score
Broward said:
Which two? I heard FFA but didnt hear about the other.

The other is Japan Arcade, which is in the Little Tokyo Galleria located on 3rd Street in Downtown LA. The thing is, they're building a Round 1-like complex in that building, so I think Japan Arcade's days were always numbered.

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
I'd enjoy playing a home version of X-Men vs SF that doesn't suck, strip away all of the features, or require a Sega Saturn AND expansion pack to make it playable.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, my first thought when M v C Origins was announced was 'I hope this sells enough that they give me a version of X v S that lets you fucking tag in your other guy.'

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. I was just thinking about how nice it would be to get another bundle of games that include maybe XMvSF and X-Men: Children of the Atom.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Anything xmen related runs into licensing issues for capcom.

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
But several X-Men appearing in the Marvel branded game doesn't?

I get it, and I remember for years the talk was there would never be a MVC3 because Capcom wouldn't deal with the copyright hassle / payments / etc. to make another fighter for a costly 2D fighter (note that "costly" came about because I believe one of those early 2000s PS2 2D fighters - one of the Guilty Gear games? - cost a lot of money for really fluid 2D sprite animation and made no money back). Then MVC2 was released in HD, MVC3 happened, a half-sequel happened, and now MVC 1 / Marvel Super Heroes got a HD release. I figured they were good with the license now.

Golgo

Golgo
Reaction score
It wasn't really because it was too costly. Maybe the license itself was, which would be how they lost it in the first place, but if anything could have made its money back with the demand it had at the time, it was MvC.

It was rather because they totally lost the rights to EA so they could make that Marvel Nemesis shitfuck and a cancelled fighter by EA Chicago. Just a bad deal that didn't pay dividends for anyone.

That said, I have no idea what the hang-up with the X-Men name could be.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Could it be for individual licenses for some of the characters in the X-Men games?

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
Apocalypse - Hasn't been in a Capcom game since Marvel vs. Street Fighter.
Cyclops - Has been in recently re-released games.
Gambit - Has been in recently re-released games.
Juggernaut - In Marvel vs. Capcom
Magneto - In new Capcom games
Rogue - Has been in recently re-released games.
Sabertooh - MVC2.
Storm - In new Capcom games.
Wolverine - In new Capcom games.

So would the big hold up the boss character / likeness of Apocalypse?

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
DrVenkman said:
Apocalypse - Hasn't been in a Capcom game since Marvel vs. Street Fighter.
Cyclops - Has been in recently re-released games.
Gambit - Has been in recently re-released games.
Juggernaut - In Marvel vs. Capcom
Magneto - In new Capcom games
Rogue - Has been in recently re-released games.
Sabertooh - MVC2.
Storm - In new Capcom games.
Wolverine - In new Capcom games.

So would the big hold up the boss character / likeness of Apocalypse?
Except for Apocalypse, they've all been in MvC 2. I think Capcom lost the license to Activison, then Activison lost it, and then Marvel was acquired by Disney. Disney and Capcom have always had a good working relationship and here we are.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I forgot what a bitch of a time I have with Onslaught. I'm able to mega man duck fire him in the first stage and then obliterate him with War Machines special in the last one...but how I'm going to get the achievements for beating him with everyone else remains a question I haven't quite answered yet. I think I can get him with the Mega Man specials in the last stage...so maybe I'll have to be dragging everyone along with him over and over and over 20 times.

Thoth

Curleh Mustache~
Reaction score
DrVenkman said:

I get it, and I remember for years the talk was there would never be a MVC3 because Capcom wouldn't deal with the copyright hassle / payments / etc. to make another fighter for a costly 2D fighter (note that "costly" came about because I believe one of those early 2000s PS2 2D fighters - one of the Guilty Gear games? - cost a lot of money for really fluid 2D sprite animation and made no money back). Then MVC2 was released in HD, MVC3 happened, a half-sequel happened, and now MVC 1 / Marvel Super Heroes got a HD release. I figured they were good with the license now.

It's actually because X-Men appears in the name of the game, and in various parts of the game, like the title screen. That's it. If a character is an X-Man, they can totally be used, as long as it isn't an X-Men GAME.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
Thoth said:
DrVenkman said:

It's actually because X-Men appears in the name of the game, and in various parts of the game, like the title screen. That's it. If a character is an X-Man, they can totally be used, as long as it isn't an X-Men GAME.

God, IP laws are so confusing sometimes.

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
Nymyzys said:
Thoth said:
DrVenkman said:

God, IP laws are so confusing sometimes.

So if they called the game "Marvel vs. Capcom Zero" and except for some re-branding and added special features it was the exact same game, it would be a-ok?

Hooray strange IP laws.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
I'm playing Capcom Collection Vol 2 that as SSF2 Turbo on it and it's the hardest fighting game I've ever played. The CPU is incredibly difficult even at the easiest level. Am I correct and is there a way to beat it?