Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The WWF B, C, and D shows.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Talk of Action Zone has me feeling nostalgic. Thread for all your WWF Action Zone, Livewire, Mania, Metal, and Jakked needs.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think my bottom as a WWF/E fan was waking up at 7 AM on Saturday mornings in '01/'02 to watch WWF Metal on our local FOX affiliate. I was in middle school and I'm almost positive not getting extra sleep on a weekend so I could watch D list matches in the waning days of the Attitude Era rotted my brain.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Jakked/Metal circa 2001 is great for all the matches with future indy legends. Samoa Joe, Chris Daniels, Low-Ki, AJ, and others getting shots was awesome. Surprised Ki didn't get a development deal around this time as he was featured quite a bit (then I remembered Low-Ki was probably being Low-Ki).

Valeyard

Reaction score
I just remember the one time I caught Metal it was Saturn vs Joey Abs.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I remember that Hurricane/AJ Styles match being good as hell. But I would've appreciated it as much if not more watching it on YouTube 15 years later than waking up early on a Saturday and not resting my developing my brain.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Action Zone might be my favorite because the more I think about it, the most era-appropriate things were there. Sure, I missed the good times with Clique tags and Bret vs Owen. But I got Horowitz win, Hakushi's push until Horowitz won again, Phantasio, Tekkno Team 2000, a bunch of Savio Vega, and maybe even the beginnings of the Austin vs Savio feud.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember recording a Raven/Tommy Dreamer match as Raven was eventually all over those Jakked/Metal/Sunday Night Heat shows. I was still loyal to Sunday Night Heat seeing that as the Monday Night Raw of the 2nd tier shows aided by Raven then Steven Richards basically being top focuses on it.

Action Zone I never really got into as kid me thought it was not as superior to WWF Superstars and I had other stuff to watch.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I could never nail down the syndication for Superstars by then, but I had just gotten satellite and realized that by 1995 I didn't need to worry as much. Sure, Action Zone didn't have sweet Taker vs HOG matches, but I could deal with the crapshoot of Action Zone since the schedule never changed.

Keep your Monday Night War bullshit, I was having Sunday Morning Wars with WCW Pro or whatever it was.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Man, Youtube sure has a decent number of Action Zone matches I didn't think existed.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For all of the jokes we've made about how inexplicably long 205 Live has run, it's not surprising. WWE has a long history of inexplicably long running shows. Does anyone remember that Heat ran until 2008? It did!

There's only a small handful of WWF/E shows that could be considered short lived really.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I used to watch WWF Spotlight on the MSG Network in ‘93, but it never had a regularly scheduled time slot. I would just be flipping through the channels and see it or my brother would tell me it was on. I barely remember anything specific that aired on it, and I don’t know if there were any first-run matches on the show, but it was cool to be able to watch a WWF show at 6PM on a Wednesday or whenever. Midweek wrestling was a special treat in those days.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Talk of Action Zone has me feeling nostalgic. Thread for all your WWF Action Zone, Livewire, Mania, Metal, and Jakked needs.
Where does All American and Spotlight fit in? (Oh and WWF NY)

Growing up without cable made any non Superstars and Wrestling Challenge seem special. We had WCW syndicated Sunday AM in 1990 and then Saturday at midnight in 1992. AWA aired here on Sunday AM (I watched the Pink Room of Doom as it happened!) and we even got the AWA classics show on a fuzzy reception from Milwaukee or Wausau on Sunday mornings where Bischoff or whoever tossed it to old matches when the AWA ruled.

Jakked and Worldwide came on back to back in 1997/98ish on Sat afternoons but were often preempted for Fox's MLB. The wrestling boom also gave us WOW Saturday's (again at Midnight).

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Midweek wrestling was a special treat in those days.
I remember WCW Prime used to air on SportsChannel New England at 6 PM on Mondays and I was psyched in 1996 that I would get so much wrestling on a Monday night. Mostly remember a lot of Men at Work and Bunkhouse Buck matches.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Spotlight aired at like 10 or 11 pm on Fridays on what was then our local Fox affiliate here. I remember watching on the Friday night before the Royal Rumble in 1992 because that was when I found out about the Mountie winning the IC title in a house show and Piper now challenging him at the Rumble. Piper was my favorite wrestler, so I was losing my mind when this news broke. Good times.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They had some Spotlight episodes on youtube a few years ago. With Sean Mooney and occasionally his evil twin Ian Mooney and Sherri as his cohost. Kind of a strange show.

WCW Prime is the best because every week they had the DUSTY RHODES MOO MATCH OF THE WEEK.

I was a big fan of Velocity from around 04 til it ended. Paul London basically busting his ass every week having good matches. So many bizarre matchups especially with the weird ass Smackdown roster of late 2005/2006 with guys like Vito, Tatanka, Juventud, Psicosis, The Gymini, The Dicks, The New LOD, Simon Dean, Kid Kash, Scotty 2 Hotty being around still and so on.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This thread inspired for me to tear through Cawthon'. Some of the mid '00s and on C show cards are like "Matches You Didn't Think Existed: The Card"

For example, this Summer '05 Velocity
8/9/05; Columbus, OH; Nationwide Arena
8/13/05:
Frankie Kazarian defeated Paul London
WWE Cruiserweight Champion Nunzio defeated Jimmy Jacobs
Ken Anderson defeated Sho Funaki (Anderson's TV debut)
Hardcore Holly defeated Steven Richards

Or this one from October
10/18/05; Reno, NV; Lawlor Events Center
10/22/05:
WWE Cruiserweight Champion Juventud Guerrera pinned Paul London at 9:03 with the Juvi Driver after a modified hurricanrana
Christian pinned Brian Kendrick with the Unprettier at 5:55 after avoiding the Sliced Bread #2 and shoving Kendrick into the corner
WWE Smackdown! Tag Team Champions Road Warrior Animal & John Heidenreich defeated William Regal & Paul Burchill via disqualification at 4:43 when MNM interfered and helped in attacking the champions; after the bout, Super Crazy & Psychosis came out and battled backstage with MNM; moments later, the Tolands came out and attacked Road Warrior Animal as Birchill dropped Heidenreich with the shoulderbreaker

Or this October '07 episode of Heat from the UK
Mickie James defeated Melina
Snitsky defeated Robbie Brookside
Jim Duggan & Super Crazy defeated Shelton Benjamin & Charlie Haas

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WWE @ Columbus, OH - Nationwide Arena - September 2, 2007
Heat:
Val Venis defeated Jay Bradley
Super Crazy defeated Shawn Spears
Jim Duggan defeated Chad Collyer
WWE Raw Tag Team Champions Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch defeated Robbie & Rory McAllister

I wanna see Val Venis Vs young "Boomstick" Jay Bradley, Super Crazy Vs baby Ty Dillinger and Jim Duggan Vs Chad Collyer.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mean I'm 32 and 1/2 rn and I dress and act like that.

I feel like conception of Dok Hendrix was Vince being like "Alright. We need someone annoying and overexcited to replace Sean Mooney."

*brings in Todd Pettingell*

"No. Even more annoying. And Southern dammit!"

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Say what you will about Hayes but you have to respect how much he rode the "WWE Shill" persona as Dok Hendrix.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
As Ralphie Cifaretto would put it, Hayes is a "whoo-uh"

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mean I'm 32 and 1/2 rn and I dress and act like that.

I feel like conception of Dok Hendrix was Vince being like "Alright. We need someone annoying and overexcited to replace Sean Mooney."

*brings in Todd Pettingell*

"No. Even more annoying. And Southern dammit!"

I'm close to the same age and I do the same thing, but I mean more in his face than the way he's acting and dressing. Hayes was always older looking, but Dok Hendrix looked especially old. He was younger than Diesel somehow.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Prichard talked about WWF hiring Hayes a few months back on STWW and apparently, WWF wanted to bring him as a color guy around the same time he hired Lawler in late ‘92 (And actually didn’t Jimmy Garvin have a super brief run in WWF around then) but he wasn’t willing to cut his hair and shave his beard.

By ‘95, Hayes was desperate enough to do whatever Vince wanted.