Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The WWF B, C, and D shows.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That would be on there as well. Also WWF Excess, the two hour Saturday late night call in show on TNN that was co-hosted by Coach and Trish Stratus in late '01/early '02. WWF Spotlight is probably last but not least because it lasted NINE YEARS and no one remembers anything about it except Sean Mooney pretending to be his own twin.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
That would be on there as well. Also WWF Excess, the two hour Saturday late night call in show on TNN that was co-hosted by Coach and Trish Stratus in late '01/early '02. WWF Spotlight is probably last but not least because it lasted NINE YEARS and no one remembers anything about it except Sean Mooney pretending to be his own twin.
I know I had Spotlight into 1994 because I saw Backlund's heel turn there first because it aired on Friday nights for some reason.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
OVP/Richard Land recently posted a clip of a late '94 episode of Spotlight with a bored looking Gorilla talking about Mr. Backlund. but even Landy hasn't been able to find any clips of 1995 episodes.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Shotgun was so fucking good. Closest they ever really came to knowing what the fans wanted. That month or so was fantastic.

Still don't know how HHH took a tombstone on an escalator and didn't get his scalp yanked off.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
The first few months of Shotgun were great for the time. Just the change in presentation the company desperately needed at the time before the Attitude era caught fire. The show where they broadcast from the former All-Star Sports Cafe in Times Square where Marc Mero and Sable made their entrance straight from a limo remains one of my favorites to this day.

And of course 10-11 year old me desperately searched the internet for topless Terri Runnels pictures after she flashed the Sultan.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Reaction score
The Marlena flash is a totally forgotten gem of Attitude. The other recap shows made Shotgun seem so dangerous and cool to us kids who didn't know much nor have access to ECW. I think they ran that clip of Ahmed killing one of the Nation guys on a car for the rest of the year.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Ah yes, the Ahmed/D'Lo Pearl River Plunge on a car was another awesome moment:

Another forgotten moment from that show is Terry Funk randomly showing up prior to the '97 Rumble and being confronted by Austin.

Valeyard

Reaction score
JOB Squad got a heavy push at the end of 1998, if I remember right. One of those Russo things.

Man, remember when Al Snow got feuds with Rock and Foley after the Rock n Sock stuff?

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I felt bad for Al Snow before, but then when it turned out that he was a sadistic trainer, maybe he brought his bad luck on himself.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It is funny how time passed and people went from ironically hating (but quietly actually appreciating) Al Snow in the late '90s to unironically hating him in his waning years and retirement. Maybe all those jokes at his expense got to him and he became a dick IRL.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
JOB Squad got a heavy push at the end of 1998, if I remember right. One of those Russo things.

Man, remember when Al Snow got feuds with Rock and Foley after the Rock n Sock stuff?

Foley did a kinda sorta clean job to Val Venis on a PPV around this time as well IIRC. They were definitely experimenting with some new blood near the top

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Val also had a tv match with Austin around that time where he got a bunch of offense in

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Foley did a kinda sorta clean job to Val Venis on a PPV around this time as well IIRC. They were definitely experimenting with some new blood near the top
As weird as it sounds now after a 20+ year run in the main event (not to mention being Vince's heir apparent) but Triple H winning the World Title the night after SummerSlam '99 started a weird, brief period in WWF where you felt like midcarders were starting to take over.

Obviously, his one was the only that took but it wasn't until after Royal Rumble '00 that I didn't think he was a midcard guy temping in the main event.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The New Rockers badly needed a consistently good team to work with. I started appreciating him after they had a really good match with the Bodydonnas (with Cloudy). I just never got as into him as I wanted because he really was such a JOB Squad type. Lived the gimmick.

Read once, maybe on here, that the Red Rooster was an elaborate rib on Flair. That's the positive Terry Taylor thought.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Given how early they gave up on Bulldog's return they should've just plugged Val in to see what happens.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah now that I think about it Rooster debuts in summer/fall 88 right after Flair was supposed to come in around Summerslam 88 but backed out the last minute. So they get pissed and do that gimmick

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Val also had a tv match with Austin around that time where he got a bunch of offense in
He had a competitive match with The Rock on Smackdown around the same time in October or November of 99. I was actually wanting them to make Val a top guy around 99/00. It's quite a fall from grace that he went from mingling with Rock, Austin, and Foley to refereeing a Kat vs Terri match at Wrestlemania 6 months later, but all the new talent that came in around that time made him seem more run of the mill. He still bounced back enough to have that hot feud with Rikishi, but he was never the same after he got put with RTC.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wonder if there's anything more to why Val Venis never broke through to that main event level cause it seems like they had their finger hovering around the trigger a couple times. That fall '99 push, his IC Title run in the Summer of '00 that was ruined by him joining RTC, hell even him being a enforcer for Eric Bischoff in '02/'03ish seemed like it could at least lead to him being a strong semi-main event guy. The STWW on Val from six months back frustratingly danced around and didn't really answer why he was so close but so far to becoming a main eventer on several occasions?

Was it cause he was an outspoken, opinionated jackass? Did the globalist, pedophile cannibal elites hold him down? We'll probably never know tbh. RIP Coffey.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Yeah now that I think about it Rooster debuts in summer/fall 88 right after Flair was supposed to come in around Summerslam 88 but backed out the last minute. So they get pissed and do that gimmick

The gaudy jacket, head movements, and the strut. All equals cockadoodleWHOO.