Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The WWF New Generation Thread Volume 2

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
All that stuff about putting over the wrestlers and not trying to have the announcers be the attraction is so disrespectful to Michael Cole and all his McMahon fam daddies.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
There’s a way to properly book a ladies’ man babyface and having a wimpy male radio DJ sing a “Cocaine” parody about how Shawn is sexy and wears thongs on the eve of his title win is most likely not it.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I can't read any of what's on it but I'm confident that tape was at least $60 at the time.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Found the match listing. Unfortunately, the VHS was UK only. Bollocks!
Diesel Vs Bret Hart from Royal Rumble '95
Three matches from WrestleMania XI; LT Vs Bam Bam Bigelow and Yokozuna & Owen Hart Vs Smoking Gunns but also The Undertaker Vs King Kong Bundy for some GD reason
Diesel Vs SID from In Your House
Razor Ramon Vs Dean Douglas from In Your House IV
Dudes With Attitude Vs Yokozuna & British Bulldog from In Your House 3
two matches from King of the Ring '95 for some GD reason: Mabel Vs Savio Vega in the tournament finals (which makes sense from a kayfabe perspective) and the Bret Hart Vs Jerry Lawler Kiss My Foot match.
Three matches from SummerSlam '95; Shawn Michaels Vs Razor Ramon in the 2nd ladder match plus 123 Kid Vs Hakushi and Hunter Hearst Helmsley Vs Bob "Spark Plugg" Holly.

Really have no idea how that last match made it. Maybe a time traveling Triple H showed up to the Silvervision office and was like "Uh..we're gonna pretend uh that that match is really important in 15-20 years"

Valeyard

Reaction score
Gotta wedge Taker in somehow and it isn't like 1995 was any good for him. But That's a hell of a quarter-assed best of the first half of 1995

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to assume no matches from Survivor Series '95 made the cut cause they wanted to get it out before the end of the year. Mildly to moderately surprised that there's only two HBK matches on the tape given how hard they were pushing him (already) in late '95.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Shawn/Diesel and Shawn/Jarrett seem like givens.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. I am amazed that both main events of XI weren’t included. If you felt obligated to put a Taker match on there, I would have given the casket match with Kama at SummerSlam ‘95 the nod since it was probably Taker’s least terrible match of ‘95 plus it had his signature gimmick.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Yeah if you clip it down (I'm assuming these all were clipped) it fits.

Razor/Douglas was in October and is by far the weirdest inclusion. If any match from that show had to be on there just slide in the random Gunns/Razor and Kid tag match.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I heard about the '94 reboot of Papa Shango, being revealed that he cast a voodoo spell on Mr. Bob Backlund that caused him to snap. I wonder how they would have brought him back in '97?

Valeyard

Reaction score
Shango is the reason Pillman is crazy because that's Vince as hell.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Shango was supposed to feud with Taker in '97 before Kane came into the picture. I think it was supposed to be revealed that Shango's voodoo revived Taker prior to his WWE run or something.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I voted for Piper. Figured that Captain Lou would get there in the end.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

I remember PWI (or whatever Apter mag) hyping Carl LeDuc up after he got a WWF run that amounted to a series of tryouts, but off hand I can't recall him being mentioned in either WWF mag/RAW mag or the TV shows.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd like to see the Waterloo people book her for their hall of fame next year.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Slipped my mind Gladiator Faarooq was managed by Sunny at first. What a random pairing.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
When Faarooq debuted by laying out Ahmed Johnson, 8 year old me freaked the fuck out and thought he was guaranteed to be a WWF World Champion within a year.

Twenty five years later, his WWF run is most known for mild swearing. Go figure

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
That's actually something I'm not fond of... Simmons was an All-American football player for one of the top programs in the country, and the first black world champion of a major federation, but now most everyone just seems to remember him as "the DAMN! guy"

Valeyard

Reaction score
It's bizarre how he never got any singles titles in the WWF. He had the it factor. I just gotta be rational and blame it on how facial hair is what gave him super powers.