Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

This Day Nine Years Ago---Russo and Bischoff return to WCW.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just realized that nine years ago today was the "season premiere" of Nitro which saw the return of Eric Bischoff and Vince Russo and the beginning of the Millionaire Club Vs New Blood. Say what you want about that angle and Russo's shitty run at the book in WCW but this was one of the best shows WCW had put on in a long time (outside of the sight of a shirtless Mark Madden) and how quickly they ruined everybody's high hopes. *sigh*

Honestly, at the time, who would've predicted the company would have been out of business in less than a year? I know I didn't think they were going anywhere until they got cancelled a couple weeks before they got bought out.

Anyways, use this thread a discussion of the show, of the angles that came out of it, etc.

WCW @ Denver, CO - Pepsi Center - April 10, 2000 (9,074; 3,000 freebies)
Monday Nitro:
#1 Contender Tournament Semi-Finals: Diamond Dallas Page (w/ Kimberly) pinned Lex Luger (w/ Elizabeth) with the Diamond Cutter after Buff Bagwell appeared and distracted Luger from the floor
#1 Contender Tournament Semi-Finals: Sting defeated Sid Vicious via count-out after the Wall attacked Sid and chokeslammed him through a table set up at ringside
Jeff Jarrett defeated Curt Hennig
Ric Flair defeated Shane Douglas via disqualification
#1 Contender Tournament Finals: Diamond Dallas Page pinned Sting after Vampiro interfered and dropped Sting with the Nail in the Coffin; due to pre-match stipulations, DDP earned a match against Jeff Jarrett at Spring Stampede to determine the new WCW World Champion

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Was this the show where they stripped everybody of their title?

If so, I remember watching it and thinking the champions should be legit pissed for having to just hand over their championships.

HTQ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lots of run-in finishes and inside references that nobody gets? Yeah, that's Russo.