Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

This Week in Baseball 6/1 - 6/7

zio

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Even though Lidge has blown back to back saves, I'm still confident the Phillies are right up there with the Dodgers as the class of the NL. Without the blown saves, we'd have the best record in the league. That's pretty cool.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Braves are 0-3 since Tom Glavine Appreciation Night. Karma sucks, though they were totally justified!

zio

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really hope that Ball 4 call on Youkilis wasn't a makeup call and the ump just missed it. He was right on about Youkilis leaning in to get hit with a curveball on the prior pitch, and the next pitch was right at the bottom of the strike zone and should have been strike 3. Let's get out of this, Rangers.

zio

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Breaking news: According to the TBS commentator in this Boston/Texas game, Brett Myers is lost for the season due to shoulder surgery. Not the hip surgery he got last week, apparently.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
After everyone got their panties in a bunch about Roy Halladay throwing over 130 pitches in his last start, he comes back with a CG shutout against the Royals throwing only 97 pitches.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
treble said:
After everyone got their panties in a bunch about Roy Halladay throwing over 130 pitches in his last start, he comes back with a CG shutout against the Royals throwing only 97 pitches.
Funny I hadn't heard about that until now. Halladay is probably the last pitcher I'd worry about throwing 130 in a start.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, maybe 'everyone' was a bit of a stretch, but Rob Neyer mentioned it on ESPN.com and a lot of fans were worried about it, too. I wasn't.

First 10 game winner, too. Probably could have 12 already.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Chipper Jones waited until the moment I traded him in the TSM league to blow the fuck up. 3-3, 2 homers, 1 triple, 5 RBI

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
chipper is now 4 for and just needs a double for the cycle.

And don't you not lose him until tomorrow, so you get to reap the benefits of today?

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
I get him today and for all next week, yes. I hope this is the start of a hot streak.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think he'll end up pitching in the last game of the Jays series in Philly.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
This just in, the Reds hitting completely blows. But, hey, I hear they're good at bunting.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
FOr some odd reason at safeco they're doing GBA at the 7th ining stretch, despite not doing it the last 2 games. So I guess I don't need to wait until the playoffs this year to bitch about it.

Dobbs3K

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Crazy Brewers/Braves game this afternoon...Chipper Jones with two home runs, and Braun with two as well. Brewers were winning, but Carlos Villanueva blew it in the 8th inning. Ah well, I'll take a series win in Atlanta, I guess.

alkeiper

Reaction score
The Padres and D'backs just finished an 18 inning game. The Diamondbacks scored three runs in the top of the 18th when the Pads sent infielder Josh Wilson in to pitch. The game went extras after the Padres scored five runs in the bottom of the ninth inning.

alkeiper

Reaction score
I like how Joe Morgan keeps referring to Juan Pierre's "five .300 seasons." Of course, one of those is in 50 games THIS season, and the four others were from 2000-04.

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
alkeiper said:
I like how Joe Morgan keeps referring to Juan Pierre's "five .300 seasons." Of course, one of those is in 50 games THIS season, and the four others were from 2000-04.
And two of those three from 2000-04 were when he was with the Rockies.

Joe Morgan is the worst.