Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

This Week in Baseball 6/22 - 6/28

Next USC #55

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He was suspended by Major League Baseball, not the Pacific Coast League. I think it's silly to get upset over Manny getting a few swings of his bat in minor league stadiums. It's not often Manny Ramirez is playing in podunk stadiums, and it's a no brainer to take advantage of it by selling tickets off his name.

devo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's staggering the amount of double plays Fernando Tatis has hit into this year. The one that was just turned makes for four out of the nine at-bats he's taken in this series, and according to the SNY broadcast, nine out of the sixteen opportunities where a double play was possible (I assume they mean force out on the bases plus less than two outs, since there are other situations where it's possible).

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Yankee pitcher revenge! Last year they lost Wang due to injury caused during interleague play, so this year Joba takes out Kawakami by hitting the ball right into his neck (looked like to me anyway.) He left the game after three perfect innings, so go figure he get hurt on one of his good days. I just hope he's ok, it looked painful.

Dobbs3K

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Brewers get the win off a Jason Kendall little league-style "home run".

Dobbs3K

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Actually a double with only two throwing errors, but same idea.

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just move the Nationals to Delaware. We can match their little 2,000 paying fans thing they seem to be accomplishing in Washington. Hell, we might give them 2,001!

devo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Really nice series for the Mets against St. Louis. Three wins out of four games, all of which were crisply played and well-pitched for the most part. Commendation for the entire staff for their admirable job of containing Pujols, who went three for thirteen with four walks and a double over the course of the series.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Detroit's really coming along now. Just swept the Cubs and have built a decent lead in the AL Central. They also have the 3rd-best record overall and the longest current win streak at 7 games. Nice to see Galarraga turn in a solid performance, cuz he was struggling big-time.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Has anyone seen MLB Network's Reality Series "The Pen?" I watched the first two episodes and found it fairly dull. Reality shows thrive on drama but being a corporately run MLB team, the Phillies are not going to expose any of that. Nor does it contain much scouting information on the relievers (beyond that Ryan Madson has a great changeup), or any in-game strategy. Lidge blows a save, and that's it. Nothing on the situation, or what pitch he threw, or whether he fell behind in the count. Instead we have three pitchers sitting in a boat fishing.

the max

Soxy
Reaction score
It looked like a promising thing but it was pretty much unwatchable. I gave up after fifteen or so minutes.

N

naiwf

Can anyone attempt to explain the rationale behind getting a save with a 4 run lead because the tying run is on deck?

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Apparently on Wednesday night Ian Snell went to Pirates management and requested to be sent to AAA because there was "too much negativity" from the fans and media in Pittsburgh. Imagine if he pitched in a city where his performance was actually impacting the team. The audio of his locker room interview with reporters is pretty awesome as well. At one point he gets mad and calls a reporter "pal" then says "I'm not your pal" even though he was the one who called the reporter "pal".

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Byrd takes Conte’s supplements without apology

Marlon Byrd(notes) wouldn’t be pulling down $3 million as a Major League baseball player without getting a second chance from an obscure community college after he nearly had a leg amputated more than a decade ago. So shrugging off Victor Conte’s reputation as a notorious steroid pusher, he says, isn’t difficult for him.

Conte has provided the Texas Rangers center fielder with a variety of pills and powders for 18 months. Not once has Byrd asked Conte whether any of it could trigger a positive drug test.

“I didn’t need to,” Byrd said. “From our conversations, there was no need to ask.”

Soon tubs of “Proglycosyn: The Ultimate Post-Workout Recovery Formula,” tubes of “Physiobalm: Muscle and Joint Rejuvenator,” and bottles of “Aerobitine: The Ultimate Anti-Fatigue/Fat Loss Formula,” “Vitalyze: The Mental and Physical Performance Enhancer” and “ZMA: Rapid Anabolic Sleep Enhancer” began arriving at Byrd’s New Jersey home. Later he had the products sent to the Rangers’ spring training site in Surprise, Ariz., and to the Rangers’ clubhouse in Arlington, Texas.

“Marlon was working with a doctor, doing blood testing, a fairly sophisticated regimen,” Conte said. “He faxed me the blood results and nutritional program. I told him, ‘You are taking a bite of this and a bite of that. I’ll teach you how to sit down and have a feast.’ ”

Byrd and Conte developed a long-distance relationship, chatting periodically via email and the telephone, and Conte devised a detailed daily regimen of supplements. Byrd was so pleased that he agreed to promote the products, to become a “SNAC athlete.” Byrd sent Conte a photo of himself crushing a baseball and signed it: “To Victor. Thanks for the help. The man with the plan.” Just last week Conte added the photo to an online gallery that includes obviously juiced body builders as well as Bonds, Jones, Romanowski and other pro athletes whose careers are forever linked to steroids.

“He wanted to join this family,” Conte said. “It was something beyond the products. Marlon wanted to be part of history.”

“Where I drew the parallel between my legal products and anabolic steroids is that both are really about recovery, accelerating healing and tissue repair,” he said. “What these products do, similar to what steroids do, is enable an athlete to recover quicker to do a deeper training load.

“You’re not going to get the type of benefit you would from anabolic steroids from any over-the-counter supplement. But can you get 25 percent of that effect with sophisticated nutritional support programs? Yes, you can.”

Conte expresses regret at going down “the slippery slope” of selling illegal drugs. He continues to work with athletes, the world-class sprinter Chambers perhaps being the most prominent. Conte acknowledges that Byrd is the only baseball player purchasing his products.

“I don’t know if people are blackballing him,” Byrd said. “I don’t know how they will look at me. I’m not worried about it. I don’t care. Everybody who ever tested positive can get a second chance but he can’t? That doesn’t make sense to me.”

“I know what I am, and I’m not a home-run hitter,” he said. “This isn’t about bulking up and hitting bombs.”

Not so long ago, Conte’s products were aimed at enabling a player to do precisely that. He created The Cream and The Clear, previously undetectable steroids that Bonds and others purportedly took. But nothing in the current SNAC catalogue will turn a slap hitter into a slugger.

“In 2002 when I came up to the big leagues, every guy coming out of the bullpen was throwing 96 mph,” Byrd said. “I had to completely change my game. I was overmatched.

“But the next year was the first year of testing and everybody’s skill level came back to mine. I feel like the game has come back down a level.”

Byrd now feels like he’s the one with the edge, courtesy of Conte.

Full article at

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Aqr1kggYW7ppmisRKwTq1ZkRvLYF?slug=sh-byrdconte062409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Taxman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My god, the Phillies are downright AWFUL. What the hell happened?

alkeiper

Reaction score
Was Hamels ejected for arguing balls and strikes?

Edit: I see he was ejected after being replaced by a reliever. Heh.

alkeiper

Reaction score
For the record, the last time the Phillies were no hit was April 16, 1978 by Bob Forsch and the St. Louis Cardinals. Pascual Perez and the Expos did it in 1988, but that was a rain shortened game and the Phillies only batted five innings.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The bullpen's been pretty shitty for the past month or so, so no jinxing required there.

Dobbs3K

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Brewers top pitching prospect Jeremy Jeffress suspended 100 games for a second "substance of abuse" offense. His first one had been for marijuana. One more offense and he receives a lifetime ban.

What an idiot.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Speaking of that, Geovany Soto got busted for pot. Leave it to this year's batch of cocksuckers to get caught using performance-reducing drugs. If nothing else, this explains why Soto got so damn fat over the offseason: it's one thing to skip spring training, but apparently he just sat around in San Juan ordering pizzas or something.

Taxman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I still don't understand why marijuana is such big deal in baseball. It's not like they're smoking it to play better. Who is going to get high and then proceed to stand out on a field in 150 degree heat for three hours?