Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

This Week in Baseball 7/13 - 7/19

Which announce crew would you rather be stuck in an elevator with?

• Chris Berman, Joe Morgan, Steve Phillips (HR Derby)

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Joe Buck, Tim McCarver (ASG)

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That's not what Ryan "1-32" Braun was bitching about.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
I think the Marlins will be much better off when they get their new stadium in a few years. They broke ground this past week!

As for this team, they proved to me this weekend that they aren't in the same league at the Phils, this year. Hopefully we get some good development and make a run next season.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
The Brewers deal for Lopez is okay, but it doesn't really address their biggest need. After watching the Reds and Brewers for 4, they both look like dead in the water teams. I think this is the Cardinals division to lose at this point.

And I wouldn't worry about Braun. Sure he may say some dumb things, but he may be the best young hitter in baseball.

Dobbs3K

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Braun will turn it around soon enough. You can't look at one bad month and say he is tanking this season.

The Brewers sound like they are serious about trying for Halladay...I doubt it ends up happening, but they are certainly searching for pitching.

Migoli

Very Active Poster
Reaction score
I bought that mlb.tv thing today. For anyone that doesnt have this its the finest thing i've purchased in some time. Spent 6 hours watching games today, simply magical.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Unless this new Miami stadium is a revolution in sports architecture that comes with pre-filled seats, I still don't think you'll ever see big crowds at Marlins games. If they haven't demonstrated a commitment by now, they never will.

I'm not ready to hand the division to the Cardinals, by the way. Those teams are all so underwhelming right now that it's not any one team's to lose. The Cubs just swept Washington to inflate their record a little bit, and even the goddamn Astros are staying in the chase. I liked the NL Central better when it was good.

Kinetic

Kinetic
Reaction score
They've been wearing out those fucking godless "grumpy old man" Extra Innings commercials. I watched the whole Rays-Royals series and probably saw the one where he mispronounces Sudoku fifty times. It's soured me on old people forever.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
Czech said:
Unless this new Miami stadium is a revolution in sports architecture that comes with pre-filled seats, I still don't think you'll ever see big crowds at Marlins games. If they haven't demonstrated a commitment by now, they never will.

I think the roof is really going to help attendance. From what I hear people are wary about driving all the way out to the game when there is an 80% chance of rain every day. This stadium will be more downtown and have the roof at the ready for days with rain in the forecast. I really think it will help.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh, driving and weather are horseshit excuses for shitty fans. I've heard it all before and it's all been debunked. The fans just aren't there, plain and simple.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I think there might be something there in regards to weather. Lets face it, it's one thing to take in a day game in August in Chicago. It's quite another to do it in Miami.

the max

Soxy
Reaction score
I almost melted at an afternoon game in Miami a few years ago. Decent seats behind the home bullpen, about two innings in and it's roughly 300 degrees directly under the sun. My wife was lightheaded and got sunburned pretty bad and my friend got burned pretty bad. We ended up moving seats and sitting in worse seats to get in the shade.

The weather in Florida is definitely a factor.