Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

This Week in Baseball 7/6 - 7/12

Who was the biggest All-Star snub?

• Total voters

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You have to wonder if he's the first guy in the same season to have a 5 PA game where he went 0-0 while reaching base 5 times, and had a game with 5 PAs where he went 0-5 with 5 Ks.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
the max said:
Something I've never seen before today.

Jason Bay's afternoon:

BB (4 pitches)
BB (4 pitches)
BB (4 pitches)
HBP (1 pitch)
HBP (7 pitches)

No official AB today, he saw 20 pitches. Two fouls and a swinging strike everything else was a ball.
Five plate appearances, no official at bat:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/shareit/fdMH

You have to wonder if he's the first guy in the same season to have a 5 PA game where he went 0-0 while reaching base 5 times, and had a game with 5 PAs where he went 0-5 with 5 Ks.

Same season yes, at least since 1954. Jim Thome has done both in a career.

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
Reaction score
Is Jenrry Mejia at the game? He's on the AA DL right now literally with a made up injury (sore middle finger or something like that) so as to keep his innings down (he's already at a career high 72).

alkeiper

Reaction score
Smartly Pretty said:
Is Jenrry Mejia at the game? He's on the AA DL right now literally with a made up injury (sore middle finger or something like that) so as to keep his innings down (he's already at a career high 72).
I doubt it. I got to see Mejia pitch actually at AA Binghamton. Mid-90s fastball, spotty control but he still has time to improve. I like him as a possible Joel Zumaya type.

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
Reaction score
I think you might be selling him short a little bit; he's definitely good enough to crack the rotation. As for his control, he walks 3 guys per nine innings. For a 19 year old AA pitcher I'd say that's pretty good. His control will only get better as he becomes more experienced. He touched 102 in a AA game a while back (not that a AA clock has much ethos) so he can really get it up there. Maybe I'm not the most objective observer but I see him as a 3rd or 4th starter.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Smartly Pretty said:
I think you might be selling him short a little bit; he's definitely good enough to crack the rotation. As for his control, he walks 3 guys per nine innings. For a 19 year old AA pitcher I'd say that's pretty good. His control will only get better as he becomes more experienced. He touched 102 in a AA game a while back (not that a AA clock has much ethos) so he can really get it up there. Maybe I'm not the most objective observer but I see him as a 3rd or 4th starter.
The stadium scoreboard I saw had him topping out at 96. I don't mean my assessment to be negative. Zumaya before his injuries was one hell of a reliever.