Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Thrift Store Shopping

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm the only one here who does this, but you can find a lot of interesting (and sometimes valuable) stuff digging around these places.

Pretty much every Genesis game I own right now came from a Goodwill or similar place. Last week I found a copy of Gunstar Heroes for $4. There was no manual, but just the cartridge can sometimes run you close to $20 on eBay.

I've found a couple of Japanese Saturn games at Goodwill in the last few months and found Street Fighter II and Street Fighter II Turbo for the Super Famicom today.

I'll sometimes re-sell stuff I find there, like when I paid $2 for a copy of Tomba! and sold it for $50 or buying a SNES with Mario RPG and flipping just the game for over $30.

CanadianChris

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I used to collect vintage video games through thrift stores and flea markets when I was living in Toronto. And by vintage, I mean 1980s stuff pre-crash. I had an impressive collection of Intellivision and Colecovision stuff...then I got married, and couldn't justify keeping it all with the space it took up.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I haven't tried in a while, but I've never seemed to have luck doing the thrift hunts. Last time I tried, I think the only places that had stuff were charging more than eBay prices on it.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Anytime I pass the local goodwill I drop in and look around. They sell books 5 for $0.99 and I can usually flip them on Ebay for a decent price after I read them. Collectible mugs and such are also all over my goodwill store and if it's priced low enough, I'll nab them too.

I have half a mind to browse the clothes and grab any designer stuff in good shape but I don't feel confidant I could flip them. I did that at a Ross Dress for Less before. We'll get the most random college sweatshirts and stuff there, no one buys them, they get reduced to 2 bucks, and I scoop them up.

I'm an entrepreneur ::).

the max

Soxy
Reaction score
We have 4 Goodwills in our fair city. I found a bitchin Molly Hatchet logo mirror at a one of them. Also a set of coasters with the playing card suits on them. And at another a Columbus Blue Jackets jersey.

As far as games, it's mostly old PC games that I never liked. If I happen to run into any NES, SNES or Sega games I usually buy them. The only one I have found locally was some racing game for Sega.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
Eh, never really found much at a thrift store. Best deal ever was Suikoden 1 and 2 at a flea market it 2004 for $10 total.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Nymyzys said:
Eh, never really found much at a thrift store. Best deal ever was Suikoden 1 and 2 at a flea market it 2004 for $10 total.

I got the pair for $14 at a flea market once. I beat them both before ebaying them.

I am a major pawn shop/flea market/garage sale/thrift store video gamer. Not much luck at the thrift store, but last year I got 18 NES games for $18. Included were 5 Mega Man games, Tyson, Bubble Bobble, Contra, and Super C.

A lot of pawn shops are starting to go by Ebay pricing. I used to hit 9 pawn shops a week once a week. Now I go to about 6, and it's slim pickings. I used to put enough stuff together every couple of weeks for an Ebay run, now it's maybe once a month.

I can't wait till outdoor flea markets and garage sales start up. I paid a buck for Earthbound once at a yard sale, WITH BOX AND BOOK.

Reaction score
I paid a buck for Earthbound once at a yard sale, WITH BOX AND BOOK.

Wow; that's kind of insane.

I actually know a girl who used to have Earthbound when she was young - apparently it was her favorite video game ever.

So I'm chatting with her online a little while ago, and she mentions that she recently lost her copy, so she said she'd look for one on Ebay. I felt bad for her, and told her where to get emulators.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I searched for years for a complete EarthBound box but had to settle for paying $10 for a cartridge. I found a .zip file of scans from the player's guide years ago, but it wasn't the same.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love whoever prices things at my local Goodwill.

Yesterday, I stopped by after work and they were selling an Xbox for $7.07. It didn't have a power cord, but I bought it anyway. Today was a 50% off day, so I stopped by again and saw another Xbox and figured I would pick it up (and probably sell it on eBay or something), but this one was priced at $40.04. It did have a power cord, though.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I landed an N64 w/expansion pack, 3 controllers, Mario Party 2, Mario Golf, Mario 64, and Goldeneye for a grand total of $27. Thanks Goodwill. First time I've ever found games there.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
$20 for 5 N64 games at a pawn shop today: Mario Kart 64, Donkey Kong 64, Mortal Kombat 4, Diddy Kong Racing, and Legend of Zelda Ocarina. Stuck out at the other 5 I went to though

Ripper

I'll make your ass sense.
Reaction score
Goodwills in Atlanta are awesome. If I see one I just go ahead and pull over because I am gong to find something. Every once and a while they totally overprice somehting, but alot of times, I get great stuff.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
My local Salvation Army had a boxed PS2 for $139.99. It's nice when you can steal the old classics for next to nothing, but funny to see that

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Well, damn, why didn't you pick it up? You could've EASILY turned a profit on that thing on Ebay!

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Dear Goodwill of Fenton, MI. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

P7300223.jpg

A friggin dollar. I'm fighting with keeping it for the collection or selling it on Ebay. Copies are going for $80 right now. Also picked up Kirby's Adventure and Maniac Mansion

TheSSNintendo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There's a small indoor flea market in town where I live. Picked up Super C (games were cart only) for only $5. Might go back today and see if I can still snatch up a few more games, like Operation Wolf, Double Dragon 2, and maybe Killer Instinct.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't find anything at Goodwill anymore. I usually never found anything great, but all they've had for the last little while are PS2 sports games and scratched up Gamecube games.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I've gotten lucky at my Goodwill 4 times now...but that's over nearly a year.

I still manage to find stuff at a couple of my regular pawn shop stops.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Goodwill is selling my old model broken PS2 for $70.00.

The slim models brand new sell for $99.99.

I'm amused.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I scour Good Will fairly often, maybe I need to start hitting the handful of local pawn shops...

Best finds I have were mostly just old Masters of the Universe guys/games/puzzles etc that I love personally.

Dumpster diving has been more fruitful for me. I've pulled out a Dreamcast, NES and a bunch of games from a dumpster a few years ago. Everything worked.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Picked up Mario 64, Kart, and Party 1 and 2. Along with 3 N64 controllers this week for $25. Not much else to brag about. Some Gamecube games on the cheap, but nothing amazing.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Picked up the Link to the Past Nintendo Power preview issue in very nice condition (with ugly Addams Family poster still intact), for less than $.50 at the Salvation Army today.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Not a lot for me this week. Bought an NES that's clean and works fine for $10. And a nice copy of Gyromite with box and book for a buck.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
I hit up three Goodwills this afternoon and came up empty. Two trips to 2nd and Charles over the past couple of days has produced:

Parasite Eve OSG - $5.99
Metal Gear Solid OSG - $4.50
Metal Gear Solid (tall case) - $4.00
Spyro Year of the Dragon - $4.99
Seaman 100% complete - $4.50

Hitting up some flea markets in Columbia tomorrow.