Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Tiger Woods '10

M

Matt Young

This thread will be for discussing all versions of the game, but I chose to purchase it for the Wii.

I am not really a golf fan. I've never played anything but mini-golf, and watching it on TV is boring to me. But, since the 2005 edition, I have been a fan of the Tiger Woods series. My friend (and later roommate) Jake got me hooked on that game when he and his then-wife would have a group of us over to watch wrestling pay per views and drink beer. We'd always jump on Tiger afterwards, and it was a blast.

Not long after that, I got my own Xbox which came with the Tiger/NCAA '05 bundle. That edition was still my favorite, after '06 didn't offer much innovation, and '07 (at least on the 360) fucked up the gameplay. Although I have played all versions since 2005, '10 is the first I have bought since '07.

I completely suck at the game, going +15 on Banff Springs in my first try at going 18 holes. A lot of that was due to missed putts with the "Precision Putting" system. After I switched to classic on hole 15, putting became much easier.But after spending a couple hours doing the tutorials, playing 18 holes, and then creating myself for career mode, I can safely say I am hooked. Wii Sports golf was a huge disappointment, but this game- with the Wii Motion Plus, that is- is everything that game should have been, times a million.

I cannot recommend this game enough, and that's with me only doing the "Play Now" mode and having very little skill. I imagine that my appreciation of the game will grow once I gain some skill. That, and I can't wait to try multiplayer. As an EA Sports game, you simply sign in using the same account you would for other EA Sports games. No friend codes required.

Did anyone else pick this up for any system?

M

Matt Young

Which version?

Halfway through the first day of my first tournament with my created guy, and I'm +15. Standard is too hard for me, so I'm switching to All-Play... for now. I hope it's not too easy. I'm sure people who actually know how to play golf could handle standard difficulty, no problem.

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
The last TW game I played was...06 on the 360, and at that point they were still at the "max power, max power boost, impossible to lose because you outdrive everyone by 50 yards and can reach every par 5 green in 2, and at least half the par 4s you can drive the green with decent wind and a fairway to bounce off of" phase.

I take it that's all gone now?

M

Matt Young

oldskool said:
The last TW game I played was...06 on the 360, and at that point they were still at the "max power, max power boost, impossible to lose because you outdrive everyone by 50 yards and can reach every par 5 green in 2, and at least half the par 4s you can drive the green with decent wind and a fairway to bounce off of" phase.

I take it that's all gone now?

It's definitely not like that. Well, All-Play is. All-Play is too easy, and Standard (medium) is too hard, at least with my low rated created golfer. All-Play actually shows you the arc of the ball and even where it will bounce. You can't miss.

Rendclaw

Integral Poster
Reaction score
All-play sounds to me like what you would do to learn the game of golf, and get used to the game itself... Standard is when you have blown through All-Play, it sounds like.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
All Play reminds me of Mario Golf Toadstool Tour except it's a tad easier. I think it takes the wind and everything into account. After having the game for a week, some of us are going back and forth between that and standard. With All Play, I've hit five holes-in-one, so it's hard for me tot not use it sometimes.

M

Matt Young

What Rendclaw said is pretty spot on. Upon the recommendation of GameFAQs' message boards, I'm using All-Play and doing the scenario challenges in order to level up my created guy (which, as in every game ever made, not just Tiger Woods, looks nothing like me) before going back and starting the PGA Tour career again. 30 years of that... I'm going to be playing this game for a while.

It just sucks that, since I'm horrible on Standard, I cannot hope to compete in the live tournaments that put you on the leaderboards competing against real golfers' scores in whichever tournament is going on at that particular time.

Rendclaw

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Matt Young said:
What Rendclaw said is pretty spot on. Upon the recommendation of GameFAQs' message boards, I'm using All-Play and doing the scenario challenges in order to level up my created guy (which, as in every game ever made, not just Tiger Woods, looks nothing like me) before going back and starting the PGA Tour career again. 30 years of that... I'm going to be playing this game for a while.

It just sucks that, since I'm horrible on Standard, I cannot hope to compete in the live tournaments that put you on the leaderboards competing against real golfers' scores in whichever tournament is going on at that particular time.

Practice, practice, and practice some more. That's the only way to not suck at something.

M

Matt Young

I usually don't suck at games, right from the start.

I'm thinking of selling/trading this game. There's no doubt that it's good, but All-Play is so easy that it's boring, and Standard is frustratingly difficult to the point that it's rarely fun. That, and my bad back doesn't react too well to the swing motions.

And Mike, disc golf is very inaccurate. It's one of the few really bad things about the game.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think my friends and I are getting a good feel for disc golf. It's far from inaccurate. Some people who have played both prefer it to the golf.

M

Matt Young

That is true, quite a few people do prefer it. But I threw like I would a regular Frisbee, and rather than going where it should, it was very off.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm glad you said that. I think you're doing the same thing we were doing at first. It's an issue of perspective. A lot of people throw it like they would a frisbee, but pay attention to the hand on screen. The remote is the hand, not the frisbee. Hold it steady and straight and give it a heave, releasing B when the throw is straight ahead. Does that make sense? Visuals would help.

M

Matt Young

Yeah, that makes sense. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Despite what I said before, I really want to be able to enjoy this game.